Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Jobs

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Jobs

I am a junior in highschool. I have a little bit more time to think about what I want to do with the rest of my life. But not a lot of time. I am really interested in the Fire Service. My question is, what kind of Fire Carrers are out there? I know you can become a paid firefighter. But other than that I am kinda in the dark. Thanks for your time!

Fire prevention, Fire investigator, fire marshal.........

Lightbulb Some info...

Here is some "job outlook" info from firecareers.com
    Check the link out, http://www.firecareers.com/subscribe...refighter.html

I think it will help. Other info.
    can be found at www.eatstress.com

Take care....
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 03-31-2003 at 11:37 PM.

Forum Member

resQengine, the fire department has many different areas that folks can get into for a career.
    The first and foremost job of the FD is Life Safety & Property Conservation.
    There are;
    Firefighter
    Engineer
    Lieutenant
    Captain
    Battalion Chief
    Asst. Chief
    Deputy Chief
    Chief
    Fire Marshall
    Fire Inspector
    Fire Warden
    Fire Prevention Officer

There are many choices within the FD.
    What interests you the most?
    *Mark
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

MembersZone Subscriber ullrichk's Avatar

Don't forget about the Fire Protection Engineer - not a fire service job per se, but an important one to the fire service anyway.

Of course , if you are a fast talker with loose morals, you could be an apparatus salesman.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

HEY!!!!

What about Dispatch? Communications is a vital first link in the smooth operation of all calls that come in, be they fire, hazmat, medical etc. Without us getting the proper information in an expeditious manner, getting the right crews out to the right job, making followup calls to other agencies, and monitoring the call as it goes down, you suppression folk might be running around like chickens with your heads cut off!

I know everyone hates dispatch and dispatchers, and most view being assigned there as a punishment, but we are vitally important to the department, and I for one, am very proud to be a part of the team!

Cheers

Pat Tyrrell (Mississauga Fire and Emergency Services, Mississauga, Ontario, CANADA, eh!)
    Communications Diva of the IACOJ, and proud member of the WOT!

Bagpipes: They put the fun back in funerals!!

MembersZone Subscriber

If you want to go to college, make a ton of money and be pretty much guaranteed a job when you get out, fire protection engineering is the way to go.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Hey! Wait a Minute.........

I am one Chief who loves dispatchers. Without dispatchers, EMS shift supervisors, and Cops, The entire world would be overrun with uneaten DONUTS. (lol) In the real world, there are good career choices available in public safety communications, and sometimes, not a lot of people who are suited for the "pressure cooker" lifestyle. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Default Re: Hey! Wait a Minute.........

Originally posted by hwoods
    I am one Chief who loves dispatchers. Without dispatchers, EMS shift supervisors, and Cops, The entire world would be overrun with uneaten DONUTS. (lol) In the real world, there are good career choices available in public safety communications, and sometimes, not a lot of people who are suited for the "pressure cooker" lifestyle. Stay Safe....
    THANKS CHIEF!!

Unfortunately, those uneaten donuts are often the cause of Dispatcher butt! I found my niche in communications, having done ambulance dispatching, then moving on the fire dispatch (here in Ontario, the ambulance service, fire service and ambulance communcations are completely separate entities). While I really miss the road as a BLS provider, I figure if I'm going to wreck my back, I might as well do it sitting for 14 hrs straight, instead of in the middle of the highway in a blizzard, trying to extricate a 250 lb tuna!!! I'll leave that to the fire dept.(with all due respect, of course!)

Cheers

Pat

Forum Member

Commdiva, my deepest apologies!
    I myself work as a dispatcher. 2 years fulltime before I got on the job. I still work there parttime. I often tell folks, if I couldn't be a fireman, I'd be a dispatcher. I really enjoy the work, the air conditioning in the summer and the heat in the winter and the donuts!

*Mark
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

Mark440....

No worries there...Dispatch is often overlooked, unless something goes horribly wrong. As you know, if no one notices us on a call, then we've done a great job!

Remember:
    You may know where you are and what you are doing;
    God may know where you are and what you are doing;
    But if your Dispatcher doesn't know where you are and what you are doing, then I hope you and God are on VERY good terms!

Cheers,

Pat

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Smile And the story behind the story?

Good dispatchers are cut from a different pattern. Some things, Lots of common sense, for example, are critical in the communications field. I remember my first lesson on the application of knowing what to ask, quickly and calmly, while doing 3 other things at the same time. I answered a call and put it on the speaker, and was confronted with: "The basement is full of smoke, come quick!" In those days, no computerized help, no ANI system, just ask the right questions. I said "where are you?" she said "I don't know" I said Where do you live?" She said "I don't live here, I'm housecleaning". Before I could think of my next move, My "been there forever" supervisor calmly told me to have her find the mail and read the address from that. I did, She did, and it all worked out OK (Burnt furnace motor.) Lesson? Common sense. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Thread Information