Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CAF system

MembersZone Subscriber

Default CAF system

Within the past year we upgraded two engines with a CAF system. We recently had a significant structure fire and CAFs was used by the first arriving engine with very impressive results.

What has been the experience/opinion of other FD's with CAF ?

~R

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

When you are up to your butt in alligators it is difficult to remember that your initial objective was to drain the swamp.

Cap - Rescue 5 - CFD
    IACOJ - Swampmaster

Forum Member

Hi rogers1431,

My department has been using CAFS since 1998, with great success! It works well for us. The department is comfortable and confident with using CAFS. We use CAFS on all fires.

Training is the key for ALL personal on the fire ground. Key person being the pump operator. Nozzle selection and CAFS application is another area that needs training.

What manufacturer of CAFS did your department get?

Hope this helps.

Be safe,

Capt. Lou

MembersZone Subscriber

Capt.Lou
    We have a Pneaumax compressor (PTO drive) combined with Foam Pro and a Waterous pump. The system was installed by Waterous.

There is a near fist fight going on over at the Apparatus forum..... lots of arguments about installations and cost/benefit. I decided to start a thread in this forum because I am interested in others experience with fire suppression, especially any tactical tricks and suggestions. Our system works great as long as the E/O remembers to turn it on. Our experience with fire suppression has been a quick decisive knock down with minimal water use. I agree completely with you thoughts on required training.

Thanks for your comments,

~R

Forum Member

We saw it demo'd a couple of years ago. There wasn't one firefighter that was impressed by it's power or potential. The politicians that control the purse strings were even less impressed.
    Randy..

Thread Information