Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Losers III

Default Losers III

Here's another group of fire lighters who's actions denegrate all of us, especially here in PA.

Updated: 03-31-2003 12:51:47 PM

Pennsylvania Firefighters Charged In Barn Blaze They Fought

Courtesy of Tribune Democrat

By Ted Potts

Four young adults, three of them volunteer firefighters, have been accused of setting a fire earlier this month that destroyed a barn on West Campus Avenue in Davidsville.

Two of the accused are adults and two are juveniles. They may be connected to other blazes, police said.

Detective Robert Fatula of Conemaugh Township, Somerset County, police discussed the arrests at a press conference yesterday at the department on Route 403 near Davidsville.

Fatula identified the owner of the barn as John Palenik. The detective listed the damage “in excess of $10,000” and said the barn and its contents were a total loss.

The three accused firefighters all responded to the alarm, Conemaugh Township Officer Michael Popma said in a telephone interview last evening from the police department office.

Fatula said he is conducting investigations into four other fires in the township since late February and indicated arrests in some of those are anticipated perhaps as early as tomorrow.

He said no other volunteer firefighter is suspected of participating in either the March 16 barn blaze or the other fires under investigation.

The adults charged are: • Jason James King, 18, whose address is listed as a post office box in Hollsopple. • Michael Krautz, 19, of the 100 block of Jerome Avenue, Jerome.

Fatula said would only say the juveniles are both 17-year-old boys. One is from the Tire Hill area and the other resides in the Davidsville area, he said.

Fatula said King and the juvenile residing in the Davidsville area are members of Hollsopple Volunteer Fire Company. He said Krautz is a member of both the Hollsopple and Jerome volunteer fire companies.

Fatula said King and Krautz each face charges of arson/related offenses, criminal conspiracy to commit arson, criminal conspiracy to commit criminal mischief and criminal conspiracy to commit risking a catastrophe.

They were arraigned Friday night before on-call District Justice Doug Bell in Meyersdale and both were placed in Somerset County Jail, Somerset, in lieu of $25,000 bond each.

They remained there last night, Fatula said.

The juveniles are facing juvenile court action on charges of arson and related offenses, criminal mischief in excess of $10,000 and risking a catastrophe.

They were in custody of juvenile authorities, Fatula said.

The blaze was caused when a plastic bottle filled with gasoline and rags was thrown into the barn after the rags were lighted, he said.

The other fires being investigated were at a home in Hollsopple destroyed Feb. 21, a former church in Hollsopple damaged March 11 and a garage on Route 985 damaged March 26.

The causes of those fires have not been determined, Popma said.

The fourth blaze happened about a week before the barn fire and was at Bethel United Methodist Church on Seanor Road.

Fatula said a plastic bottle filled with gasoline was ignited and thrown through a side window, but the flames went out before any damage could result.

A photo of King was provided by the township police department. A photo of Krautz was not available last night from the department.

Hoping and praying there is no Losers IV.....but I'm not counting on it.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

As I've said plenty of times before, I'm sick and tired of the headlines that read "Firefighters charged with arson".

An 18 year old, a 19 year old, and two 17 year olds are NOT firefighters. They may have limited training. They may put on gear, get on the apparatus, and go to calls, but they are NOT firefighters ... yet.

Stay Safe

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Angry

And, after this, they won't be.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

Angry

NOR SHOULD THEY BE!
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Default Members

Posted by PA Volunteer,

"An 18 year old, a 19 year old, and two 17 year olds are NOT firefighters. They may have limited training. They may put on gear, get on the apparatus, and go to calls, but they are NOT firefighters ... yet."

I agree with you, yet if they are members of our organizations they will be identified as such by the media and we will all be percieved by the general public as fire lighting arsonists, whether we like it or not.

We in the fire service have not done our jobs. This concern has been around since I first joined the PA fire service in 1975 and we have done little or nothing to stop it. That is the reason that I have and will continue to post these disguisting articles on this forum, especially if they are from PA. I am sick of going to the PA State Conventions and hearing issues from our leaders that do nothing to solve this problem or the other issues that directly affect the delivery of service to the public. Recently it has been nothing but "how can we get more money from the State and Federal government."

I also have agreed with you regarding the issue of funding for many of our volunteer departments out there that are struggling to put fuel in the apparatus, but I believe that we need to solve this problem to get the respect of the public before we can expect to get additional funding.

Now your gonna say, what can we do.

First we need to check the criminal history of every applicant to every fire company in the Commonwealth. In PA this can be done on the PSP web site for $10.00 per check. If you have been convicted, or plead to an arson crime or reporting false alarms to authorities, you should not be allowed to be a member of any public safety agency, including fire, police or EMS. If necessary lets get a law passed that protects officers, members and corporations that allows for us to make this prohibition.

We need to begin a data base of fire fighters who have been arrested for arson and related offenses.

We need to let new recruits know that if they are involved in this sort of behavior that they will be caught, they will spend time in jail, and that they will NEVER be able to serve in a fire company again, EVER! This should be a part of the Essentials program from the state, presented as part of the Fire Department Organization section and presented by a State Police Fire Marshal.

We should place restrictions on the low interest loans from the Commonwealth, on companies that if the officers or members are convicted of embezellment or arson related offenses that they will not be able to participate in them for a period of say ten years, and any outstanding loans will have to be paid in full before the end of the fiscal year. If that means that they have to sell equipment to do so then so be it.

These are just some of the ideas that I can think of that I believe would stop this nonsense.

It's time we pulled our heads out of our collective *****e$ and got serious about this problem. IF YOU DO THE CRIME YOU WILL DO THE TIME.
    Last edited by glowpop; 04-02-2003 at 09:35 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

Default Losers III.V?

Um; wasn't this same group just charged with a church arson as well?
    America is burning again. Our fellow colleague and very vocal proponent of this country's problems with firefighter arsonists, GeorgeWendt has been telling us and telling us and telling us.
    It's not just PA, folks. It is in the other 49 states, too.
    Time to thin the herd and take back our communities and our fire departments. Follow North Carolina's lead. Talk to each other. Make certain that someone else's problem doesn't become your problem.
    Take care and stay safe.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Default Terrific Idea!

We need to let new recruits know that if they are involved in this sort of behavior that they will be caught, they will spend time in jail, and that they will NEVER be able to serve in a fire company again, EVER! This should be a part of the Essentials program from the state, presented as part of the Fire Department Organization section and presented by a State Police Fire Marshal.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

I cringe even if anyone on my dept. makes a joke about breaking in the new guy. Thank God no one is serious, although I don't think I will ever have that "can't happen here" syndrome.
    MGB&KY&Y-FDNY 9/11/01

Glowpop, excellent points. We are in agreement on all of them. Your point about "kids" being perceived as firemen by the public and the media is unfortunately true. My point was that they are not firemen, by our standards, yet. Unfortunately, the public does not have as high a standard.

Stay Safe

Thread Information