Thread: Certifications?

Forum Member

Default Certifications?

What do you guys use? APCO, Powerphone, NAEMD?

Forum Member

Suffolk County,LI NY uses NAEMD. It is used at our county communications center. All calls given out are coded, but it is up to the individual departments if they follow the response protocol.
    Last edited by XCAPT1; 04-02-2003 at 01:09 AM.

Forum Member

NAEMD

We do not use the protocols in the back at all. And we've made quite a few other changes in the system to fit our needs.

MembersZone Subscriber

Before a new dispatcher gets off of training they must have completed the APCO 40 hr basic, CLEAN/NCIC training, and taked an 100 question test to be state certified by PEMA. We are not EMD yet but hopefuly soon
    "Remember courage is only fear that has said its prayers"
    "Leather Forever"
    "FDNY 9/11/01"
    IACOJ since 3/03

Forum Member

Question

Are we just talking EMD or ALL certifications? Based on the original post I assumed it was just EMD...

Forum Member

Sorry-

I was referring to any kind of certifications, EMD, fire communications, etc...

Those who've responded thus far- tell me why, if you would, you feel the way you do about the certifications...Good/bad, and why...

Thanks!
    Remember KQJ943

Forum Member

Training for Telecommunicators always helps and never hurts. Better training equals better Telecommunicators therefore better communication and handling of situations. Be it through APCO, NENA, Powerphone, PSTC or whomever, if you have the chance to attend or send any of your Comm staff to training DO IT!!!

I like NAEMD. EMD of any kind is a shield from liability.

I'm personally trained in:

APCO Basic TC Class (40 hours)
    Hostage Negotiation
    Suicide Prevention
    Domestic Crisis Intervention
    Critical Incident Stress Debriefing
    Police Dispatch
    Fire Dispatch
    Incident Command
    School Violence
    Workplace Violence
    Crisis Communications
    Training Assistant
    Liability Issues in the PSAP
    EMD
    LEADS/NCIC
    CPR
    Terrorism as it relates to Public Safety Communications

There's more but I can't remember it all.
    Last edited by MrJim911; 04-05-2003 at 11:45 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have to have the APCO basic telecommunicator class, NAEMD, CPR, and NCIC training.

Forum Member

NAEMD ............. and I would like to take the fire portion of that as well............someday
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

Post IDACS

We use the IDACS Cert. You should here some of our dispatchers...I think im going to make some recordings and start a web site. There mistakes can be pretty funny.

MembersZone Subscriber

We also have a Stinky Director of the E-911 System. I have thought about making air fresheners that smell like her to help raise money for new radios since they turned down a huge fema grant because they wouldnt move the comm center to a different location in the county.

Smile

We are currently having discussion with the New Zealand Fire Service about this very subject. To date we complete a Basic Communicator course then, as positions become available, complete external courses on customer relations and personnel management. We do have a National Certificate Course that has been adapted from a standard Call Centre course, but it isn't ideal because of the expectations of the Time Critical Environment that we work in. At this stage we have no definitive course of progression/advancement for our job, something that we hope to change!

Regards

Colin

Here in Kentucky all communications officers that in any form dispatch a law enforcement agency must go through the KY DOCJT (Department of Criminal Justice Training) 160 hour (4 weeks straight)
    Communications academy. This cover's Basic Tele, CPR & First Aid, EMD per power phone, fire dispatch, hostage/crisis negoications, and LINK (KY state law enforcement system)/NCIC. This must be taken with in 6 months of employment. Also KY mandates a min of 8 hours and will provide free up to 80 hours of inservice training a year through the DOCJT. Also in KY there are 5 levels of dispatcher's, basic level
    completed academy), intermediate level (is another 100 hours of specific class such as domestic violence, advanced emd, advanced level
    (is another 100 to 150 hours in CTO, TAC, terrorism, advanced fire dispatch, caller interrogation). The last 2 levels are for shift supervisors and Comm center directors. The state of KY implement this to follow the out line of the way EMT levels are set up not only to provide the citizens with a higher caliber of telecommunicatorís but in hopes as you climb the 5 levels the individual departments will use this to justify pay increases. The more cert's you have the better off you are in the end.

Default Certs

For Delaware, (state police) he have to go thru:

APCO Basic TC Class (40 hours)
    Hostage Negotiation
    Suicide Prevention
    Domestic Crisis Intervention
    Critical Incident Stress training
    Police Dispatch
    Fire Dispatch
    Medical Dispatch
    NCIC
    CPR/AED

must hold minimum emt-b, and willing to be EMD certified withing a certain time period.
    Daniel
    www.Arson10-24.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Training - Colchester, CT

Here at our regional Communications Center, we handle most of our training in house.

However, within 1 year of employment, the State of CT requires dispatchers be "State Certified". This consists of a 4 day class given by contracted trainers, and a 1/2 day class given by the phone company on how to use the 911 system.

State of Connecticut has mandated that dispatch centers mandate some form of EMD prior to July 2004. It is up to the area's as to how much of the EMD, and what program they use.

Here at Colchester Emergency Communications (KX) (Regional PSAP for 7 towns) we have chosen Priority Dispatch EMD.

Additional training classes are taken as avaiable, and as funds and OT are available (Not that much recently)

Kevin McManus
    Colchester, CT

Thread Information