Forum Member

Default New grant program

Now that some of those FIRE apps are in, it's time to start bracing for those Dear John letters. What better way than to get the heads-up on a new grant program?

I got this from a buddy in DC but lost the link. The upshot is this: The Construction Materials Safety Commission is initiating an effort to protect consumers from harmful fumes emitted during combustion of finish and upholstery materials, paint and varnish products, and hydrocarbons in homes.

To that end, they are funding Foam Acquisition, Utilization, and Deployment grants (FAUD grants). They will pay up to 95% (you thought FEMA doing 90% was nice!) of the cost of installing CAFS units, buying foam concentrate and/or eductors, and training your personnel to operate them properly. This includes retrofits on existing apparatus (I specifically checked on that!) and installation during construction of new apparatus. There is about $3 million in the thing; not exactly big money but I'm told it's first-come, first-served.

I will check back with my friend in DC and try to find a link to additional info on this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    --General James Mattis, USMC

MembersZone Subscriber
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

Just got off the phone with a guy I know in Hastert's office: this deal could be a big help to those of us who are interested in CAFS. I know our neighbors the east are WAY interested.

It sounded to me like retrofitting exisiting apparatus was going to get priority--- more departments could be helped with less money. Bigger bang for the buck and all that. My buddy is going to call back with the application info. He didn't know if it was going to be web based or hard copy; they think it will probably be web-based, since that's how FEMA is doing it. Supposedly this is actually being administered through HUD. I understand from him that they are concerned about a lack of interest due to competing with the FIRE Act grants. I don't think that should be a problem.....

When I hear back I'll post it here.
    Last edited by jaybird210; 04-01-2003 at 02:35 PM.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Our Chief said that this was mentioned this at our last county Chief's meeting. Not very many people seemed to be interested (plain ol' water is good enough for them, I guess), but we've been looking into retrofitting one of our trucks with CAFS anyway, so this is good news for us.

Does anybody have info on when applications will be available? At the Chief's meeting they thought perhaps as early as mid-April.
    Bryan Beall
    Silver City, Oklahoma USA

MembersZone Subscriber

Default How ironic!

I was at a home builders show earlier this year. We were having a round table discussion on lightweight construction, fire retardant/fire resistant materials when I first heard of this program. I mean, I have my eyes and ears trained on anything that is less of a tax burden to our fire district. So I was quite surprised when the HUD guy mentioned this program. He made it sound like "if you take the time to do the application, you have an 80-90 percent chance of getting the money. You are required to produce documentation that you can do the 5% match, and you must also have a unit that will accommodate the retrofit. From what I understand, they will not fund new construction, but retrofit existing fire apparatus. CAFS is the future, baby. Hats off to the ABA for making this program available to the small departments. On-line applications will be available within the next week from what I am told.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber

I am very interested in this grant. Anyone who has more information such as the website and requirements, I'd love to hear about it.

Eric

Forum Member

APRIL FOOL!

In a related story, hits are way up on HUD's web site!

Nice work SilverCity4, jaybird, & Reason in perpetuating the gag.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

You sprung the joke before I had a chance to play along! Oh well ... there's always next year ...

Stay Safe

Thread Information