Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fire Science

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Fire Science

I would like some ideas on some interesting methods to demonstrate fire science to students. I am a new instructor and would like any pointers or methods. Thanks!!

MembersZone Subscriber

You can demonstrate the ignitability of smoke by lighting a candle, blowing it out, and then placing a lighter 3"-4" away from the tip of the candle. The smoke plume will ignite and flash back to the wick.

MembersZone Subscriber

Go to Propanesafety.com click on Instructors Workshop and scroll down to tip 1. Flame impingement and container cooling demonstration

What kind of demos are you looking for? I am a Fire Science Student at the University of New Haven in CT. Let me know what exactly you are looking for and ill see what I can do for you.
    Remember 9-11-01
    FDNY, NYPD, PAPD, NYPH
    Keith Fairben, FPFD LT, Paramedic NYPH, most of all, friend. You will not be forgotten brother.

"Firemen are going to be killed right along. They know it, every man of them, firefighting is a hazardous occupation; it is dangerous on the face of it, tackling a burning building. The risks are plain. Consequently, when a man becomes a fireman, his act of bravery has already been accomplished."
    -- New York Fire Department Chief Edward F. Croker. 1908

Forum Member

I used to teach fire extinguisher courses for industrial companies. We had a kit called a "Carmody Combustibles Kit" which we used for teaching fire chemistry. It had table top props for demonstrating things like vapor density, flash point, lower exlosive limit, chemical reaction fires, static ignition, etc. It came with a book which explained the theory behind the experiments. Great kit but I don't know where to get one or the cost.
    Sometimes, in order to make an operation idiot proof, you must remove the idiot!

Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Back when I was a junior, we had an instructor light a candle, sit it in water and put a clear container over it -- the water rose, but not so that it touched the flame, and created an atmosphere that snuffed out the candle (i.e. lack of 0-2 and moisture).

There's also the fire triangle/tetrahedran theory, take a piece away and the fire goes out.

Good luck.
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Thread Information