Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default lawn mower fire truck

Ok I got a good one for you. Well I should of posted this in the off duty section, but oh well. I am going to build me a fire truck from a lawn mower. What do you think about that? Anyone have any ideas, tell me. I plan on putting a water pump on it, lights, crosslays (im going to get them one hoses as seen on tv), front and side intakes, some hard suction (found some hose from our farm that would work.) Im going to do this just for the fun of it cause i know the guys at the station would get kicks out of it. First I must find a mower! Anyone know other things I could do. Just for fun I should go ask chief if it can be placed in service. haha. Ok quit laughing! i just thought it would be neat.
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

Temporarily/No Longer Active EoneTiller's Avatar

OK quit laughing!
    im not sure if i can, well u are sure are an imaginitive one.
    you should put a roll bar on it and on top of it put a light bar and put some grill lights in. i can see it now hahah.
    Last edited by EoneTiller; 04-01-2003 at 08:21 PM.

I can't stop laughing. But be sure to post pics when you get it done.
    No longer an explorer, but I didn't wanna lose my posts.

IACOJ 2003

That would be an awesome parade vehicle or public education tool!! Gotta put an old Federal Q on it someplace. Put a roll bar on it and put a small light bar on top. Have a small pump on the back and a sprayer that can be used by the driver to squirt people! Oh man, the possibilities. Good luck! Send and post pictures of your progress.

Keep your head down and your powder dry.

Put in some hide-a-ways in the headlights, mount a deck gun on the hood. I'd sugest making a small trailer to have the pump on, a short one, just so its more like an articulated truck

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Why not........

This sounds like a fun thing. A VFD in the Baltimore area built one out of a golf cart for parades and fire prevention things. Here's an idea, Instead of a pump, get a water tank that can be pressurized with air (if you have a well, you know what I mean.) and have a preconnect line (garden hose?) and go get it. A 40 gallon pressurized water extingusher???? Sounds like fun. Just think of the wet T shirt contests. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Default I've thought about something like that too

I was going to do about the same thing for my daughter when she gets older. I was going to take an old 12-14hp garden tractor and extend the frame. Then mount a fuel tranfer pump or something similar to the rear. Throw on an old lightbar and a few other things. When you get it going email me sometime (code_blue81@yahoo.com) so I can see how you're doing.

code_blue81
    Jeremy Culver
    IACOJ Bureau of EMS

These views are my own and do not represent the views or opinions of anyambulance service that I am affiliated with.

Help our fellow firefighters.
    www.helpingourown.com
    "Firefighters Helping Firefighters"

i was thinking about extending the frame. then somehow mount the pump on the rear area of it. first finding the stuff to make it with. i need to make me a tank how many gallons do u think it should be for it? i need fire engine red paint. i hope to start this soon but first i must find a mower, then get some spare money, then it will probably take me a year to make cause i only will probably work on it on the weekends, cause of school. maybe i can build it at the firehouse and take advise from the guys on how to make it "right"
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

Forget using it for parades! We can use it on the line! Stick it in the bay beside the pumper. That way when the guys are mowing grass (a never-ending job) they don't have to get off the mower to respond. Since the riding mower is currently stored three blocks away at the Fire Inspector's offices, they would love it!
    IACOJ Military Division
    NM Office
    ------------------------------------
    "There are three kinds of men: The ones who learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest of them who have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."

Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

find some NFPA or OSHA stickers for it as well. Be sure to find a backup warning device also. I think the pressurized tank would be better but if you can get a pump on it working then go for it. Do keep us updated on this project. Then post it on the new apparatus forum.

Can't wait to see it.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Default Mower

Make it into "Firehouse Monster Garage" have Jesse and his
    team help out it would be great.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

What a project, build an NFPA compliant pumper out of a riding lawnmower! That would be a sight to see.
    IACOJ Military Division
    NM Office
    ------------------------------------
    "There are three kinds of men: The ones who learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest of them who have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."

An small electric pump would be enough to run garden hose. You could use an inverter off the tractor's 12v or a little generator.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Hey the Boeing ARFF guys made a Crash Truck out of a golf cart. Has about a 3 gal tank and a working turret!

Put a three foot aerial on it and call it a quint!
    See You At The Big One

If you find the right tractor you can drive a front mount pump off the PTO drive clutch. maybe a 20 gallon tank mounted on the back. A JD 300 series tractor would work great. They have a three point hitch to mount the tank to.
    I better not tell my ***. Chief about this or I will be building one this summer. HA HA

Temporarily/No Longer Active Oushore's Avatar

Here's a picture of a John Deere Gator, it's a unit equipped with a small tank and pump w/ hose reel used in Forest fires that you "Can't get there from here"... I've seen it used once, it's pretty nifty!

7-Gator-6, Monroe Hose Company. Monroeton, Bradford County, Penna.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

so how did this turn out >?
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

It needs a roto-ray on it!!!
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Forum Member

Some semi serious ideas. You could get one of those medium sized lawn tractors (between your residential lawn mower and a farm tractor). With that you can run an air pump off the shaft that powers the mower deck. Route the air lines to your side mounted tanks (mounted on both sides of the engine compartment) and have that tank plumbed to a set of discharges that come out at about the foot plates on the mower. Also you could route discharges to both front and rear and place some hose reels on either (or both) front and rear. Something to consider would be to either run it forward (like normal) and put an extension on the rear with a pair of seats side by side, or run it rearward with a pair of "back to back" seats and a deck gun over top of the hood. Additionally you could place a pipe to run like a spray system to either front or rear (depending on direction of travel), and in the other direction (front or rear) you could have a preconnected foam nozzle (assuming you run with foam directly in the water tank). Something else to ponder, what if this rig had something like those "bat wing mowers" on the sides with water pipes on them...in a grass fire it could be useful in that you have a larger "foot print" with your water (or foam) placement(that ones sorta still on the drawing board). Wow, now that I think about this, it seems more serious of an idea than I thought, I think a trip to the hardware store is in order.
    Last edited by ElChup175; 04-12-2005 at 02:39 AM.

Thread Information