MembersZone Subscriber

Default NFPA and OSHA for turn-outs

Could any one tell if or where to find out if NFPA and/or OSHA has regs. on wether each firefighter has to have complete set of turn-outs during a structual fire. My problem is we have 10 firefighters ( 4 in training now) and only 5 sets of turn-outs. Im trying to get infomation to get a fema grant. We have 1 firefighter already trained and have 4 more in training now that have been wanting to join for a while but we didn't have the money for ppe for them. But we dicide to have them join and they can help in other areas but 3 of the are young and very fit and I really want them on the hose and other duties that some of the others can't due. Thanks for your help.

MembersZone Subscriber

goldenfire,

NFPA section 1971 covers turnout gear. NFPA 1500 tells you what is required for interior operations. I can't quote you word for word but I believe that your going to need the following Helmet, Hood, Coat,Bunkers,Boots,Pass,SCBA,Gloves. All gear will have to meet the 1971 standard for design. Remember NFPA are only generally accepted standards, but OSHA is law. I don't know if Arkansas is an OSHA state or not. If they are make sure you get gear that is required by OSHA also. Example: I once bought a pair of Fire Service gloves that were NFPA 1971 compliant but not OSHA compliant (not enough Layers or something, I kinda forget) and the Chief wouldn't let me wear them. In my opinion I wouldn't send any of my personnel into an IDLH atmosphere without full NFPA/OSHA approved PPE. The FF's should also be trained to a sufficient level to use/wear the gear properly. Failure to have fullPPE and insufficient training can result in injury and/or death to the FF or the FF's partner. Be patient, get them their gear and training then turn the young studs loose to do the job!!

MembersZone Subscriber

P.S. - you can find out the OSHA info through your States Department of Labor Office.

MembersZone Subscriber

While we're at it...

Scenario: TO gear ispurchased for probie (paid), who wears it for two weeks, no fires and quits. Gear is then re-issued to new probie of the same size. Is this gear still NFPA/OSHA compliant?

Forum Member

Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    While we're at it...

Scenario: TO gear ispurchased for probie (paid), who wears it for two weeks, no fires and quits. Gear is then re-issued to new probie of the same size. Is this gear still NFPA/OSHA compliant?

George, I'm going to say that by the guidelines no it's not compliant. As far as my understanding is, gear is to be tailor made for an individual firefighter, and just because 2 people are the same size does not mean that they are physically built the same so it may not fit properly. The materials themselves remain compliant, but by transferring from one ff'er to another would make it not so ..... I think.

It's just like (gonna use females as an example) 2 women who wear the same size jeans, what fits one snuggly thru the hips and butt may not be snug on another who wears the same size. Everyone is proportioned differently etc.

I could be wrong here, so if I am please let me know. Also, I think a lot of smaller departments have to "transfer" gear in this manner due to money constraints.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Maybe this is because I'm still new to all of this, but I have never heard of not being able to re use fire gear. Infact the gear that I have was given to me used for class. Now I'm not sure if this is going to chage once I get my State Cert next month, but it has never been mentioned to me.

I see no reason why it would be an issue as long as it fits and the gear and material are in reg to OSHA and NFPA I would think that you would be fine.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for your help, but if it's not compliant, I need a cite.

MembersZone Subscriber

Question

So let me get this right, in order to goto NFPA's website and view there codes and regulations you have to pay them for it.

Is the right or em I missing something on this?

Forum Member

NFPA is a business, therefore they charge for their services. I also believe that NFPA requires gear to fit properly, not be custom tailor fit, and therefore is transferrable(sp) between members. I have not found a NFPA requirement that states otherwise, but am still researching.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

LOL George ...... I thought YOU knew that answer and we were just experiencing a pop quiz Sorry my booboo.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Opps ment to start a new thread.

Early Adopter

Originally posted by PFire23
    As far as my understanding is, gear is to be tailor made for an individual firefighter, and just because 2 people are the same size does not mean that they are physically built the same so it may not fit properly.
    I can not imagine gear having to be tailor made. I say this for a couple of reasons... #1. Galls and other companies sell stock sized gear, don't they? #2. My department recently outfitted all new recruits with stock gear as the delivery time was unacceptable for the tailored stuff.

Of course, I'm from Arkansas -- which is not an OSHA state. So, it's possible that we do things backwards here. (I thought I'd beat you guys to the joke.) However, if all bunker gear had to be tailor made, I'm sure that we would have heard an uproar about it before. I can not understand how small departments could possibly afford to custom fit everyone.

IACOJ Agitator

We get sized for gear, but it is not custom fitted...just making sure you are wearing the correct size stock coat and pants.
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Thread Information