Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dixie chicks

Forum Member

Default Dixie chicks

I got this first thing this morning it is from a pilot in Iraq to the radio station in the Dixie chicks home town.

Name: LT Layne McDowell
    Date: 03/15/03
    Time: 01:54:49 PM

Comment: An open letter to the Dixie Chicks:

Earlier this week, while performing in London, you stated that you were ashamed that our President is from your home state. I wonder if you realized how many Americans would be listening. This American was listening. This Texan is ashamed that you come from my state. I serve my country as an officer in the United States Navy. Specifically, I fly F-14 Tomcats off carriers around the world, executing the missions that preserve the very freedom you claim to exercise. I have proudly fought for my country in the skies over Kosovo, Iraq and Afghanistan without regret.

Though I may disagree wholeheartedly with your comments, I will defend to the death your right to say them in America. But for you to travel to a foreign land and publicly criticize our Commander in Chief is cowardice behavior. Would you have so willingly made those comments while performing for a patriotic, flag-waving crowd of Texans in Lubbock. I would imagine not.

How dare you pocket profits off songs about soldiers, their deaths and patriotism while criticizing their Commander in Chief abroad, even while they prepare to give their lives to ensure your own freedom of speech. Please ask yourself, what have you done to deserve that sacrifice? Do not try to justify your comments by claiming that you made them only because you care about innocent lives. Never once in our history have we committed troops to war for the purpose of taking innocent lives. We do it to protect innocent lives, even yours.

If the world leaders of the late 1930's had the vision and courage of our present Commander in Chief, perhaps the evil men who caused the death of millions in WWII would have never had the opportunity to harm a soul. The potential loss of millions of lives in the future at the hands of today's evil men necessitate action.

In a separate correspondence, I am returning to you each and every Dixie Chicks CD and cassette that I have ever purchased. Never again will I allow my funds to support your behavior. All you have done is to add your name to a growing list of American "Celebrities" who have failed to realize that they have obtained their successes on the backs of the American blue-collar workers such as our servicemen and women.

This Texan, this American will continue to risk his life to guarantee your freedoms. What will you do to deserve it?
    ASST.102
    The few the proud the firefighters from 102

I.A.C.O.J.

MembersZone Subscriber

Now you did it 102. Look who is FOR the Dixie Chicks!

(From the Drudge Report):
    NEWS - Dixie Chicks Get Support From Al Gore
    03/31/2003

(3/31/03, 7 a.m. ET) -- The Dixie Chicks controversy continues with the trio getting some support from former Vice President Al Gore. Gore spoke to a college audience last week on the subject of fewer companies owning more media outlets, and what he sees as the increasing lack of tolerance for opposing views.

According to the Tennessean, Gore used recent attacks on the Dixie Chicks that followed anti-war comments by Natalie Maines as an example. Gore told the audience, "They were made to feel un-American and risked economic retaliation because of what was said. Our democracy has taken a hit," Gore said. "Our best protection is free and open debate."

Record sales have fallen for the Chicks and radio stations across the country banned the trio's music after Maines told a London concert crowd that she was "ashamed the President of the United States is from Texas." Maines later released an apology.

-- Nancy Brooks, Nashville

Huh, wonder why its Gore supporting those fools. If you are
    going to make a remark like that, you either should not say it
    or not make it public. But thats just my 0.02 cents.
    No longer an explorer, but I didn't wanna lose my posts.

IACOJ 2003

Disillusioned Subscriber Steamer's Avatar

Wink On sale now!

Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

MembersZone Subscriber Airborne's Avatar

I'm so glad that Gore ust showed how much he does not understand America. He is right that people are more then welcome to say what ever they want here. But for every action there will be a reaction, and it is evident that the majority of people that purchaesed there music did not agree with them. And in the good old American way we are leting them know this by not purchasing there music. This is as American as you can possible get. Democracy did not take a hit, I think democracy played it's part. The masses disagred and used there legal right not to support these fools, just like the masses did not support Gore. This mister president want to be is the way democracy works, every one get's there say, and then the people decide what they like and what they don't like and they make there voice heard at the polls or in the music stores, and in the end there is nothing that anyone can do about it because this is America, where no one is forced to listen or purchase anything that they do not want to.

According to the Tennessean, Gore used recent attacks on the Dixie
    Chicks that followed anti-war comments by Natalie Maines as an example. Gore told the audience, "They were made to feel un-American and risked economic retaliation because of what was said. Our democracy has taken a hit," Gore said. "Our best protection is free and open debate."

Forum Member

Maybe that's why he's known as FORMER vice president Al Gore....

Disillusioned Subscriber Steamer's Avatar

Gore told the audience, "They were made to feel un-American and risked economic retaliation because of what was said. Our democracy has taken a hit," Gore said. "Our best protection is free and open debate."
    Oh, puleeze! That might be true if we all had equal access to the same forums/venues. Besides, what she said doesn't even come close to being "debate". That was just shooting her mouth off.

I'm sure as hell not going to have the same opportunity to address the same number of people in the same varied venues as Ms. Maines or Mr. Gore. My only recourse is to express my disagreement by not supporting them in the manner of my choosing. It boils down to it's my beliefs, it's my decisions, and it's my money! And money seems to talk pretty loudly, as much as they're screaming about people not buying their stuff now.

I can't even express my views to poll takers. I've been called for jury duty probably 15 times in the 28 years I've voted, but I've never been asked a single question for one of these varied and sundry polls that seem to be so common to our political culture today.

I wonder where we'd be now if Gore had been prez on September 11, 2001? It scares the hell outta me to think of that scenario.
    Last edited by Steamer; 04-03-2003 at 11:00 PM.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

some say president bush isnt the smartest man in the world..but right now i think he is and im glad that gore isnt our pres.
    -JEFF G

RES49CUE
    Raritan Twp,NJ

49-56
    "Have Jaws, Will Travel"

MembersZone Subscriber

I just wanna know if what we are doing to Saadam is so bad then how come the Dixie Chix thought Earl had to die???????????

Forum Member

Good question. I guess maybe the other two chix though earl had to die but Maines wanted them to release him and hope he would be a good boy
    ASST.102
    The few the proud the firefighters from 102

I.A.C.O.J.

Thread Information