Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    kevinr
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Yet another story from France

I realize that this is about the British, but it completely turned my stomach when I read it. I think that we should skip North Korea for now and take care of France.

One in three French backs Saddam

Nah, they're not worth the time or the energy.

I'd prefer that we stop in France on the way home however and remove all of the soldiers with their headstones adn return them here, where they should be anyway. This has nothing to do with my, shall we say disapproval, of the French, it's just taht these are our sons and daughters. They should be on our soil for eternity. For we know what greatness Freedom holds.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

MembersZone Subscriber Airborne's Avatar

Well it just goes to show how uninformed these people are over there.

Disillusioned Subscriber Steamer's Avatar

quoted from the article: ...in a reference to the long-dead casualties beneath the manicured turf, “They are soiling our land”.
    I'd be willing to bring these brave men back to be buried in the soil of an appreciative nation. I'd have to take my own shovel and MRE's though. I'll be damned if I would spend a freakin' dime in that country, even if only to buy a shovel or food.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Steamer

You would not be alone, there are Kiwi Brothers buried at Etaples, lots of them.

Kia Kaha
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Disillusioned Subscriber Steamer's Avatar

Default This really infuriates me.

Bravery and honor know not but one nation nor assemblage of men and women, Kiwi. I'd be willing to bring these men home regardless of where home might be. They don't deserve to be spoken of in that manner.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DaSharkie
    [B]Nah, they're not worth the time or the energy.

We could take France with a poorly trained Boy Scout troop with BB guns in around 45 minutes.

They would surrender with a couple of well placed shots to the postierior.

In all seriousness, how dare they say those who dies saving them are soiling their land. Bring them home.

Default Great Quote

When in England at a fairly large conference, Colin
    Powell was asked by the Archbishop of Canterbury
    if our plans for Iraq were just an example of empire
    building by George Bush.

He answered by saying that "Over the years, the United States
    has sent many of its fine young men and women into great peril
    to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of
    land we have ever asked for in return is enough to bury those
    that did not return."

It became very quiet in the large room!

It is interesting to note that the most famous French fighting force is the French Foreign Legion.

The vast majority of its members are NOT French, and it is the only French military unit NOT allowed to serve in France itself. The reasons being that Legionnaires are loyal to the Legion first, Brother Legionnaires second, and then their proud history.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

FRENCH DISSING IN THE U.S.A
    Mar 17 2003
    By Tony Parsons - columist in the UK

I HOPE that the continent of Europe never again needs help from the United States of America.

I hope that there's never some murderous little tyrant - another Hitler, another Milosevic - that Europe needs help in taming.

I hope that there's never some economic catastrophe that requires American dollars to make it right, as they did at the end of the Second World War.

I hope that the euro experiment works. I hope that all those peace-loving souls in Belgium, Germany and France can somehow muster an army to protect themselves.

I hope that the continent I live on never again needs to go cap in hand to the Americans.

Because if that black day ever comes, I have the feeling that America might just tell Europe where to go.

On the eve of war, there is a tangible anger in America. But surprisingly little of it is directed against the Iraqis. It is the French who are detested.

"This is all about oil," the Brits hear all the time. And Americans think it is "all about oil" too: The $50 billion worth of oil contracts that France has with Iraq. In American eyes, that is why the French are so keen to
    avoid war.

Anti-French feeling in the United Kingdom is never more than a passing fancy, a jokey bit of "hop-off-you-Frogs" banter.

Not in America.

The cafeteria in the House of Representatives no longer serves French fries - chips to you and me, guvnor. Now they sell something called "freedom fries". That sounds nuts - and of course it is.

But when a furious Congresswoman presents a "bring home our dead" bill demanding that the 75,000 American men and boys who died in France during two world wars be dug up and brought home, you realise that this is more than "hop-off-you-Frogs" banter.

Congresswoman Ginny Brown-Waite says, "The remains of our brave servicemen should be buried in patriotic soil, not in a country that has turned its back on the US and on the memory of Americans who fought and died there."

That's the difference between the British and the Americans.

We do not feel that the British casualties in two world wars died to liberate the French. We believe that we were fighting for our nation's survival. Just like the Russians.

It is different for Americans.

Throughout the 20th century, through two world wars and one Cold War, America gave all the blood and money Europe needed to keep it free.

They feel that the current crisis has proved that Europeans are, when all is said and done, an ungrateful bunch of Euro bastards who do not give a flying baguette about the 75,000 American graves in Europe.

Anti-European feeling goes right across the board of public opinion, even among the millions of Americans who are passionately against attacking Iraq.

America is united in feeling betrayed by Europe. America is finally starting to understand that - to Europe's eternal shame - there is an opinion that 9/11 was America's comeuppance.

Secretaries and waiters leaping from the top of the burning twin towers? The fault of American arrogance.

A terrified four-year-old girl cowering at the back of a hijacked plane? Blame it on America's support for Israel.

A stewardess with her throat slit by a carpet cutter? One in the eye for American imperialism.

Those 3,000 dead, murdered on live television? Europe blames America.

When 9/11 happened, you might have expected to see Palestinians dancing in the street. But who would have expected the grim look of satisfaction on the faces of old Europe?

But the British are absolved of Europe's sins. Those who are against the war admire Britain because we had a peace march where one million people filled the streets.

Those for the war admire Britain because Tony Blair has been a true friend to America. And although the man on the M25 might make jibes about Blair being a "poodle", among American hawks our Prime Minister is seen as dangerously strong-willed.

There is a school of opinion in America that believes the war could have been over by last Christmas if Tony Blair had not been so keen on proceeding through the correct diplomatic channels. Nobody calls Tony Blair a poodle in the USA.

It has been good to be British in America these past few weeks

For America has been reminded that Britain is the best friend it has in the world, joined by blood, language, history, instinct and culture.

When will the British wake up from their pathetic little dreams of being Europeans and realise that we have been looking for our future in all the wrong places?

Who wants to be European today? Who wants to be an ungrateful, unprincipled, two-faced, pacifist, Euro-grasping, oil-hungry Lilliputian?

No matter what happens over the coming days and weeks, it is true what they say. The English Channel is far wider than the Atlantic.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default great column

Thanks for posting that column. That is very true and an accurate depiction of my colleagues and my feelings.
    "The more we sweat in training, the less we bleed in battle."

Originally posted by FlyingKiwi
    It is interesting to note that the most famous French fighting force is the French Foreign Legion.

The vast majority of its members are NOT French, and it is the only French military unit NOT allowed to serve in France itself. The reasons being that Legionnaires are loyal to the Legion first, Brother Legionnaires second, and then their proud history.
    Approximatly 49% of personel in the Legionne Etrange are either French of from former french colonies

Approximatly 49% of personel in the Legionne Etrange are either French of from former french colonies
    If you are from a FORMER French colony then you are not French, therefore, the orignal statement is still true:

"Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

JackChiraq,

It is a grave disappointment that the French would not back my country's play. I wonder if they remember the spirit of Lafayette. No offense to our British allies but France was our first true ally in the beginning when they sent troops and ships to help us a Yorktown, Virginia. I do agree that the United States and Great Britain are two countries separated by a common language.

Thread Information