MembersZone Subscriber

Question "On-Line" Degree Programs

I would like to advance my career and am considering finishing my college education through an "On-line" degree program. I was wondering if anyone would have a suggestion for a college or university that offers an on-line degree program. More specifically i am looking for a program which has degree programs in the following subjects or others which may be closely related... Fire Science; Safety Management; Fire Safety Management; Public Administration; etc. Links or suggestions of web-sites, phone #'s or contact information to good schools or progrms would be appreciated. A description of the experience you have had with on-line degree programs/education might also be helpful. Thanks in advance for any information you are able to provide.

Yours in Service!

FireMEDIC911
    Last edited by FireMEDIC911; 04-11-2003 at 12:32 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I am finishing up my two-year nursing degree from Excelsior college. I used study materials from iStudySmart.com which I believe accelerated my course of study. With the study guides provided, you concentrate on the material you need to know to pass the tests without having to read cover-to-cover. They only guarantee that you'll pass, but I will be graduating with honors.

http://www.istudysmart.com will get you to the site with the study guides and let you know which courses they support and which institutions confer the degrees. Excelsior offers other degrees, but you have to study on your own. Excelsior offers content guides to give you some idea what's on the exams, but it is much less detailed than istudysmart's guides. Excelsior College is at http://www.excelsior.edu.

Hope that helps!

You may want to look into UNC-Charlotte. Two years ago (I think) they started a 4 year fire science degree program and offer it as an on-line degree. I am unsure of their official web site but a simple search will find it.
    Good Luck!
    Jeff Eaton
    GFD
    FTM-PTB Central NC Chapter
    IAFF Local 947

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Online Degree

If you would like some information please e-mail me at bigaxe551@hotmail.com and I would be happy to discuss the West Texas A&M all online Emeergency Management Administration degree with you. It is an excellent degree with many fire management aspects. Send me an e-mail and we can discuss it.

MembersZone Subscriber

I completed my degree through the NFA Open Learning Program at University of Maryland University College. They offer many undergrad and grad degree programs, including Fire Science. I highly recommend this school. Very user friendly, first rate course material and great learning format. Hit their website at www.umuc.edu.

I'm going into my 2nd year of the fire science course at one of the Maine community colleges. It's a good program, but I don't know if any of it is offered online. You can check the commuity collage website at www.mccs.edu.
    The administrator of my program suggested that after completing the associates in fire science I do a bachelors in public administration. Is there anyone that can offer some insight to future employment opportunities, other than that it could open more doors?

Forum Member

Default Sworn

Shana:

Are you in the fire service now?

Fire "Captain Bob"
    Author of the new book Becoming A Firefighter--The Complete Guide to Your Badge!

www.eatstress.com

888-238-3959

I am currently in the fire service. I'm coming up on my third year working for a small volunteer department in my town. I'm going through my firefighter 1 mods and taking my emt basic this spring.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just a little more info on me. I have been in the fire service for 14 years. The first 7 as a volunteer ff. The past 7 years as paid full-time firefighter. I have been an EMT for 11 years and a Paramedic for 3. I am trained to FF II level, am certified as a Fire Service Instructor, Fire Inspector, and Fire Investigator. I'm not even going to begin to touch on all the different classes i have certificates for. I also have one year of "general education" requirement credits from a state university. I am the Grants Program Director for our fire department also.

I am simply looking for the best approach to completing a degree program. At this point i feel as if my best option is probably an online degree program which is flexible to meet my time and schedule. I am hoping that the training i have, coupled with the experience i possess will help decrease the amount of time necessary towards completion of my degree.

Anybody else have ideas??? I'd be glad to hear them. I think others have been benefiting from the information contained herein also!! Thanks to all who take time to reply!!!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

I have heard quite a bit about the University of Memphis, I believe that their degree is in fire service administration, but there are other fire type options as well. I have also heard that there is one in Illinois that is fully online as well. If any one is thinking about a Masters Degree I am nearly finished with mine at Oklahoma State University in Fire and Emergency Management Administration. It is very intensive in nature but structured around the fire service as well as a traditional masters in public administration (MPA). This degree is available to those with a fire or emergency background and can be pursued essentially on an at distance format.

Any ?'s let me know.

Pat Dunn
    (405) 744-5606

Thumbs up Distance Learning Degree

You might want to take a look at the distance learning Fire Science Tech. degree program offered through Pikes Peak Communbity College. They will convert whatever NFPA / NFA fire & ems training you already have into college credits. You need only to complete the remaining courses to complete thier degree. It is legit. I did it last year, graduated, and then transferred my transcripts to a 4 year university {Hampton U, VA} and the credits were accepted. It was nice having all my prior training recognized as college level. Good luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

I completed my 2 year degree at New Hampshire Community Tech in Laconia NH, the school that they are using for there 4 year transfer is Franklin University In Ohio, That's all that in know. This is all good info and gives me some other options

Stay Safe

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks Armstrong40! I appreciate the information and i will check into it further. If you have any other information you could post in general or specific about either of these learning institutions... i am sure it will be of help to someone! I think we could all use at least a little help with career advancement... and education is a great place to start!!

FireMEDIC911

Thread Information