Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Grants and donations from Wal-mart and Sams Club chain

As Station Cooridinator for my department I would like to find out if anyone has or knows anything about recieving donations or grants from the Sam's Club and Wal-mart chain of stores. We have both in our area and the Wal-Mart is growing to a Super Wal-Mart at this time. Any help would be appriciated.

Thank You,
    Tracy S. Vititoe

I checked out their website after recently attending a grant writing class. It seems they focus their grant giving on things other than the fire service.

The local store managers have monthly budgets for giving items for raffles, door prizes and things like that. Our local store gives door prizes for our golf tournament and fire prevention open house. They do try to be a good neighbor.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

MembersZone Subscriber Trafficjockey93's Avatar

Our local Wal-Mart has donated computers, copiers you name it. As long as it going to a good cause, preferably a non-profit organization or anything that will benefit children.
    SAEPE EXPERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATRES AETERNI
    "Often Tested, Always Faithful, Brothers Forever"

Once a Marine, Always a Marine

I got the best of both worlds- Firefighter and Marine

MembersZone Subscriber

Received $1500 last spring from local Walmart thru their corp grant program. Just asked for grant, did not even have to fill anything out or identify a particular project.

We've got grants from them too.

In the past (4 or 5 years ago), it was a match program where they matched an amount you raised through some type of fundraising program up to be a $500 cap. We haven't hit them up in the last couple of years but I've heard that has been either raised or removed.

neiowa's also right about the ease of the program. Not a complicated process at all.

Protective Economist Jonathan Bastian's Avatar

Default Re: Grants and donations from Wal-mart and Sams Club chain

Originally posted by tracyvititoe
    As Station Cooridinator for my department I would like to find out if anyone has or knows anything about recieving donations or grants from the Sam's Club and Wal-mart chain of stores. We have both in our area and the Wal-Mart is growing to a Super Wal-Mart at this time. Any help would be appriciated.

Thank You,
    Tracy S. Vititoe
    A number of Wal-Marts have raised funds to purchase thermal imagers for local FDs. They will run all of it; you just need to show them why they should do it for you.

Other fundraising info is available at our website:
    http://thermalimager.bullard.com/inSIGHT/index.cfm
    My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking WalMart Grants

Funny that you should ask. I just found out that they have a check for $1,000 for us and I didn't know anything about it!! They have been real good to us in the past as well.

Forum Member

Hey Guys, does it matter if you live in the same town or city as the Walmart Store. We live in the next town over. Thanks!

Protective Economist Jonathan Bastian's Avatar

Originally posted by lanespd014
    Hey Guys, does it matter if you live in the same town or city as the Walmart Store. We live in the next town over. Thanks!
    My experience has been that they raise funds for the city they are in. That said, if the local FD doesn't want to work with them, they may still help you out. I'd make a case based on the number of citizens you protect that shop at that Wal-Mart. Show them YOUR citizens pay THEIR salaries!
    My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

Thread Information