Thread: Concern?

Unhappy Concern?

I am becoming increasingly alarmed by the cutbacks in fire stations and qualified personnel across the country. I don't think I can pinpoint someone to blame it on, nor do I think it is fair to do so, but it is becoming necessary (I think) to do something about this. Will people have to die before whoever is in charge realizes that this is wrong? Correct me if I am jumping to conclusions, please. I think that the money that could be saved by closing down several stations could be instead used for better gear, hiring more qualified and less corrupt people. My own town has an EMT with a restraining order and charges for beating his girlfriend while on duty TWICE. That is wrong in itself. I don't know what to think anymore. I have been back and forth about whether or not to continue in this line of work since Gary died, but I think I might have just found my cause. I welcome and comments, questions, or concerns
    Thanks-
    Angie

The EMT with the restraining order is now not eligeable to work as an EMT in most states. He would be in contact with vulnerable people and with a record of assult most states would kick him out as unacceptable.
    If you like what you do, stay with it. It may be a fight, but I would'nt give it up for anyone. Always keep yourself and partner safe. If you are in an unsafe situation, get out. As much as you may want to make the rescue, YOUR safety is mumber ONE. These words are pounded into your head from day one and they are words to LIVE by.

Forum Member

They call it risk management. How much risk are they (the Town or City) willing to take to reduce the cost of life safety.

I call it Bullsh*t. Time and time again we read about how manpower affects what we do. How time is of the essence in saving lives. How our safety is reduced because less manpower.

I understand that the isn't a bottomless pit of money to hire and pay Firefighters and EMS workers. But the flip side of this is what will the cost be to bury one of us? To pay fines for failing to follow standards? To pay insurance benefits? To settle a lawsuit?

How many departments routinely respond to calls short staffed? Do they get the job done? Yes. As quickly and safely as possible? No.

Don't get me wrong, I understand this job is dangerous. I understand that no amount of manpower can prevent some LODDs. But how much is too much, and how much is not enough?

I think that every City manager, Town Administrator, Mayor and Selectman should be required, yes REQUIRED, to ride with us and understand what we do. They should be required to see us perform CPR on a patient with only 2 people, while waiting for more help so that ALS treatment cna fully begin. They should be required to see us pull up to a house fire with 2 or 3 people, stretch a line, connect to the hydrant, vent, search, and extinguish the fire. Maybe then, just maybe, they wouldn't be so quick to cut the Fire Department budget.

The days of Checkers and pool have ended, why are we the only ones who have noticed.

As for the rest, go with your heart.....tempered by your head. It still is the BEST DAMN JOB in the world.

Dave

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Smile ANGIE!!

I remember your post about Gary and someone getting his name wrong. I offered some advice then, which you took. (You hung in there) This shouldn't change your resolve to go on and be the best you can be. I know this comment is going to light some people up, but, there really are some stations out there that should be closed. The people in those stations can, and should be, reassigned to other open stations. NEVER lay someone off. This has a side effect of putting an additional member on other engines, making the whole operation safer.Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

I realize that some should be closed, because sometimes there are just too many and the cost is astronomical. But I read an article yesterday from Pittsburgh, PA that was completely biased against firefighters, and it upset me. They pointed out statistics that said over the years the amount of fatal fires and accidents has gone down 39%. So this reporter decided that since it has gone down so much, we are no longer needed. Correction: 9 stations in that area are no longer needed. Big City, hello??? I have followed as much as I can in the news and online with the station closing issue. One closed in my home town already. And I live in a much smaller city than Pittsburgh, adding to response time because of the expanse of our city into the woods. It just upsets me that taxes don't seem to be going where they should be.
    Angie

Forum Member

I know there are places where fires have decreased...But it aint around here.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Smile I Should Have Said......

I totally missed saying what I meant in my earlier post, my apologies, and here goes: Yes, I am aware of places where there is a fire station that does not need to be there. In recent years, our jurisdiction (P.G.Co.Md.) Has begun work on how to get better service delivery and get a better value from each dollar spent. No one has become unemployed, and no volunteer has found him/herself unwanted by the County or any VFD. Many of our stations were built in an era where each small village had to have their own VFD. Also our current road network, communications system, and modern apparatus fleet were not even dreamed of at that time. Now we have stations that are too close to each other, too small to house modern apparatus, and poorly located with regard to our current road network. We have started a program to build new stations that are strategiclly located and close old stations. We expect to close 9 old stations by building 4 new ones. BUT here's the difference. We will place 2 existing Volunteer companies in 1 building,(3 in one case) keeping the equipment that they have, and keeping the personnel intact. Any existing career positions will be evaluated with respect to need for that station. Excess career positions, if any, will be assigned elsewhere. NO JOBS WILL BE ELIMINATED. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Thread Information