MembersZone Subscriber

Question Storz couplings & Drafting

I'm looking for information from Dept's who currently draft using STORZ couplings. Can you please give me +'s & -'s. We draft at nearly every fire, looking for "bigger & better". Thank you.

Forum Member

Storz couplings are standard in my state of Australia for all hoselines, delivery and suction. They work well on suction lines, no problems with the seal. What you will need though is storz coupling wrenches to suit as they can be difficult to tighten up the last little bit and to release. The wrenches do provide the neccessary leverage though.

Forum Member

We use storz couplings for draft without any problem. Be sure you have the right gaskets in the couplings. We have encountered problems when a coupling has a "pressure" gasket rather than a "suction" gasket.

The presure gasket is designed for use on LDH, The pressure gaskets do not seal well under suction conditions making it difficult to maintain a prime.

I recently encountered this problem at a mutual aid response when an engine could not hold prime. We noticed that the hard suction had movement at the coupling to the intake valve allowing a vacuum leak. We removed the intake valve and the storz adapter from the hard suction to elminate the problem.

Stay Safe
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Two words ... Duct Tape.

Stay Safe

MembersZone Subscriber

You can also use wide pieces of cut inner-tube to put around the couplings they work pretty good.

Thread Information