Forum Member

Talking A First For Me!!!!

Well just about 1 hour and 30 minutes ago I had the privelage to deliver a baby on the phone. Or I guess more correctly HELP deliver a baby. It was my first time doing this the whole 9 yards!! Got the call from dad who was fairly calm and said that his wife was getting ready to deliver. So I start doing EMD. All of a sudden there is some comotion in the background and dad says that she's having the baby right now. So I have my partner get the ambulance started since I'll be getting a little busy... So I've jumped down to the appropriate EMD box which would be to get the dry towel and wrap the baby up and then tie a string or shoelace around the umbilical cord 6 inches away from the baby. This isn't going to quickly because as we all know the frantic dad is wondering if I've sent the ambulance and he's listening to mom yelling in the background. Anyway, dad does a good job and ties the u-cord off and lays baby on mom. I ask if baby is breathing and dad says yes, but he's not crying and baby is a little purple. Yikes. But again I confirm with dad that baby is
    indeed breathing and I'm happy. About 10 seconds later I hear a good cry from baby! What a sound!! I ask Dad if it's a boy or girl and it's a boy. My officer walks in shortly thereafter and starts talking with Mom and Dad and is told (I can hear all this over the open line) that the boys name is Alex. Hear some more crying about now. Yea! Ambulance arrives and takes a healthy Mom and Son to the hospital!! The Sgt who had been on scene sent up a MDC message
    saying that Dad had said I did a geat job with him on the phone.

Let me say, that I've been doing this for 5 years (newbie to some people) and I think I've been involved in just about every standard bad thing that can happen and then more then a few non-standard things. I don't get excited anymore, don't let bad calls get me down. But let me say that after this call I felt a feeling of what I can only describe as new vigor! It was so nice to bring someone into the world rather then hearing them leave this world. It was nice
    to know that after all the bad calls I've gotten, something happened that was GOOD that increased my heart rate and made me break a sweat. This was a little bundle that served as a BIG reminder as to why I love this profession!!!!

Default aspiring to become a dispatcher

Greetings to Mr. JIm911,

Sir, I was a nursing aide/driver to this fine 67-year old gentleman who had a rare type of Parkinsons disease. I care for him for the last 6 years of my newly arrived immigrant life here in California. The police,EMT's in our area practically knows where our house was because of almost every week of calls to help the patient get up when he falls down, when I am not around. The thing is when it should mattered most during that sad evening of 16 August, the emergency responders kind of got lost on their way to my patients house and eventually did not arrived on time to save him.

I have no bad feelings for the EMT's or the dispatcher for this incident thus it challenge me to find out what is like to become one. Mr JIm911, I already register myself to take the basic dispatch battery test on 03 Nov here in San Mateo. I just couldnt help my self feeling anxious on what to expect, what is like being a dispatcher, and through the internet I found this Firehouse forum where I notice that you give and share pointers and experience to people like me. I believe it is not an easy job.

I hope to pass the tests and become a dispatcher for a career and to support my family as well.

My kind regards to you Sir,

Neil Vergara

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cheneil43 View Post
    Greetings to Mr. JIm911,

Sir, I was a nursing aide/driver to this fine 67-year old gentleman who had a rare type of Parkinsons disease. I care for him for the last 6 years of my newly arrived immigrant life here in California. The police,EMT's in our area practically knows where our house was because of almost every week of calls to help the patient get up when he falls down, when I am not around. The thing is when it should mattered most during that sad evening of 16 August, the emergency responders kind of got lost on their way to my patients house and eventually did not arrived on time to save him.

I have no bad feelings for the EMT's or the dispatcher for this incident thus it challenge me to find out what is like to become one. Mr JIm911, I already register myself to take the basic dispatch battery test on 03 Nov here in San Mateo. I just couldnt help my self feeling anxious on what to expect, what is like being a dispatcher, and through the internet I found this Firehouse forum where I notice that you give and share pointers and experience to people like me. I believe it is not an easy job.

I hope to pass the tests and become a dispatcher for a career and to support my family as well.

My kind regards to you Sir,

Neil Vergara
    Becoming a dispatcher is a tough profession, you have to deal with the attitudes of the people who call and rarely get compliments.

A suggestion? look at the posting date before replying to a thread, as this was started over 5 years ago.
    Do a little dance, make a little rum, Italian Ice! Italian Ice!

Actual lyric: Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight, get down tonight.
    (KC & The Sunshine Band "Do A Little Dance")

My thoughts are mine alone and do not represent the thoughts of any Organization to which I am affiliated.

MembersZone Subscriber

Awesome story Tbone, defineitly had to make you feel really good. Im so excited to get into this profession. Hoping to have my interview soon then its off to the CAD/EMD Training. Any tips you can lend?

Thread Information