Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber Airborne's Avatar

Default Using your head.

As I'm sure you all already know the importance of your helmet this will not be important you, but I thought I would pass it on.

This past week we where doing work in our live burn trailer, this tralier is all metal, and has gas jets for the fire.

Half way into the tralier the jets behind me went off, not big deal, I twisted and put the wet stuff, on the hot stuff, as I re set my self on my knees from the tesited back position I was in, bam something big and heavy hit my on top of the head, and slamed in to my wrist.

Needles to say I was OK and was able to finish.

As it turned out latter what had happen was in my twsiting to get at the hot stuff behind me I hit the celling and blasted a lose vent panel into the air, now for what ever reason it found it's way down the hole, and on to my head. It was about 18" by 18" and solid steel, needles to sya no helmet or if I would have been looking up, I would be in the hospital now.

It just goes to show that someone did put some thought in to the gear that we ware and how we ware it.

How true that is.
    I was teaching a basic firefighter course a while back. It was time for hose loads and rolls. I told the students that they had to wear helmets and gloves to perform the evolutions. Many questions were asked why they had to wear helmets. Just then one of the students who was rolling a hose slammed headfirst into one of the props. All I could do was point and say "thats why".....No more questions

MembersZone Subscriber

Airborne, I'm curious about the vent panel. I'll bet it was square or rectangular, wasn't it? Whenever designing or building a structure like this, always make sure that any overhead on in-floor removable panels like this are round. That way they can't become dislodged, turn diagonally to the opening, and fall through the hole. That's why manhole covers in streets are traditionally round!

kevinr
    Firehouse.com Guest

It is amazing what little facts I pick up from here from time to time.

I did not have a clue about why man-hole covers were round. Now I do.

Thanks Chief

Last edited by fireflyer; 06-30-2003 at 05:15 PM.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Well........

There was a man, years ago, by the name of Will Rogers. He was known for his knowledge and wisdom, and above all, his common sense approach to everyday life. Will was from Oklahoma, and carrying on with his common sense approach are the folks at the Silver City VFD who will tell you to always wear your helment "because nothing on the fireground ever falls UP". I suppose if things fell up, we would be wearing helments on the other end. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

We have a problem with firefighters wearing just their bunker pants and gloves on grass/woods fires. Our SOGs state a firefighter must be in full protective gear,

Part of getting people to follow rules is to have rules that are reasonable to follow & enforce.

Full structural gear for brush fires? Maybe if your fires occur in 50 degree weather or are small.

IMHO, even bunker pants are too much for grass/woods fires if it's hot out, and marginal in cooler weather. If you're wearing good jeans & workboots and the fuels are primarily "duff" that burns low, they give you less fatique and better mobility and reduce the risk of injury. In my area, which ain't that different from Missouri other than we're more developed so we usually get to the fires sooner while they're smaller, you're much more likely to have fatique injuries & trips & falls than be burned over.

That said, Helmets, safety glasses, & gloves (fire or work gloves) are important and reasonable. Telling people they can't go in the grass fire with shorts & sneakers is also reasonable. Requiring full structural gear, that isn't.

I remember seeing a picture of a firefighter fighting a brush fire during the summer in the newspaper...in full structural turnouts and SCBA!...talk about a quick way to add to the LODD tally

Common sense should dictate what ppe should be worn at a brush fire.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

KYChief - Round Manhole lids can fall into the manhole...It has happened to me. Took 2 hours to get it out! I think it was the wrong lid.

On the helmet thing, last week we were working a house fire, and were pulling down the soffit, when a large piece let loose and fell right on my head. I was looking down at the time, so I didn't see it coming, nor did my partners warn me. Left a nice mark on my helmet, but no marks on my head.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by kevinr
    It is amazing what little facts I pick up from here from time to time.

I did not have a clue about why man-hole covers were round. Now I do.

Thanks Chief

Dare I say, Enfuego.
    "The more we sweat in training, the less we bleed in battle."

Thread Information