Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default PBI vs. Nomex vs. whatever

I'm sure this has been brought up many times before but I'm just interested in hearing some pros and cons to the different bunker materials on the market right now.

Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

PBI is supposed to offer better heat protection I believe. Nomex burns vigorously in atmospheres of 31% or higher of oxygen.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

MembersZone Subscriber

I too would like to here some pros and conns. My vol. dept recently bought ADVANCE PBI/KEVLAR blend(so the dealer says). It seems to burn fairly easly. I burned some at a car fire. True I got a little close and got licked by the fire, but I wouldnt think it should burn that easly.

My paid dept uses PBI. I havent had a problem or heard of it burning that easly.

MORE VIEWS WOULD BE APPREACIATED

PAUL

MembersZone Subscriber

As far as I know, ADVANCE PBI/Kevlar doesn't exist together. ADVANCE is a Nomex/Kevlar blend and "PBI" is a PBI/Kevlar blend. I've mainly used PBI the past 10 years with no problems personally.

PBI provides very good protection, but is costly and is sensitive to the UV rays compared to other fabrics. I've heard ADVANCE is a decent alternative. Haven't heard much about the other fabrics except what they print in their ads (that their gear is the best).

Forum Member

Here in Australia, my paid dept uses Nomex Delta C, and my volo dept uses Nomex III(cost considerations I believe). I've found both fine, although the Nomex III dosn't seem as durable as the Nomex Delta C.

Thread Information