Default Norfolk, Va. accepting applications

Norfolk (Va.) Fire-Rescue is now accepting applications for the position of Firefighter/Shock Trauma Recruit. The closing date is May 16, 2003. The projected date for the written exam is June 21, 2003. Out-of town applicants will have the opportunity to take the Physical Ability Test (PAT) and the Behavioral Personality Assessment Device (BPAD) on June 21, 2003.

Applications may be down-loaded from the City of Norfolk web site at www.norfolk.gov or from the Fire-Rescue home page at http://www.norfolk.gov/public_safety/nfps/index.html

The job announcement, including qualifications and disqualifiers, can be viewed at:
    http://www.norfolk.gov/Human_Resourc....asp?jobid=198

Firefighter Recruit starting pay is $28,840
    Last edited by fireman077; 04-04-2003 at 09:57 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Can anyone tell me what they know about Norfolk's fire department? Is it a progressive department or are they old school? I am looking to work in a city where I can experience all areas of the fire service. From what I understand Norfolk has a lot of crime and there's a good amount of fire as well. I was just wondering if anybody who works for Norfolk might be able to share some of their experience as a firefighter there. Or if anyone has any input about the department I would really appreciate it.

Hesser - send me an e-mail or another way to contact you and I will answer any questions you may have.

Last year, our department had about 45,000 dispatched incidents. We do alot of EMS, but also get alot of fire. Norfolk Fire is the 3rd oldest fully paid department in the U.S. So, there is plenty of tradition. However, we are right out front on the technology side. There are many career paths - suppression, arson, inspections, and training. I moved here over 10 years ago for the job and have not regretted it at all.

Contact me - I'd like to talk.

John

Forum Member

Cool

hesser, as the poster stated, they are a large progressive Fire Department. Dennis Rubin was Chief there for awhile. Check them out and take the test if they are a fit for you. If you want something more centrally located in Virginia, check out Chesterfield County. We are testing in August for 15 - 20 positions to start in December. Information and applications available at http://fire-emsjobs.chesterfield.gov Good luck in your career.
    Last edited by Engine153; 05-02-2003 at 10:54 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Norfolk Fire

Fireman077,

My e-mail is hesser55@hotmail.com. I sent you an e-mail on some of the questions that I have. Any input would be greatly appriciated.

Hesser

Thread Information