Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Disgusted

MembersZone Subscriber Asstchief1630's Avatar

Angry Disgusted

Would like to let all volunteer firefighters know what just happened to me........I called GIECO insurance to get a quote for my vehicle and after they found out that I am a volunteer firefighter he told me that we (geico) cannot insure your vehicle. So I asked why and he said, "Because you use your vehicle to respond to fire dept calls" I was so disgusted and sick to my stomach!!!! This is the thanks and appreciation volunteers get for putting their life on the line. Anyways, my fire dept's insurance covers the vehicle and us so I cannot figure out why they would not insure my vehicle. Just incase your thinking that maybe they used that as an excuse because of my bad driving habits - I have been driving for 14 years with no accidents or tickets (knock on wood). This is my first post I ever did and I had to do this to vent my frustration. In case you ever think of switching insurance companies do not call them~~~> Gieco Direct 1-888-421-3343.

MembersZone Subscriber

Chief;

Welcome.

Check with the NYS Ins. Dept. to see if they are permittedt o redline you like that. Why did they even ask you? I've been buying car ins. for 25 years and the subject never came up.

In NJ, an ins. co. is not allowed to charge an accident against your record if it occurred during a volunteer response and did not involve negligence.

If this is true, I smell boycot.

George,

The insurance agent asked me a bunch of normal questions then he asked if my vehicle had any modifications or non-factory items so I said that I had a lightbar on my vehicle. That is how he found out about me being a volunteer fireman.

Wait one 1 minute...I started thinking maybe the agent made a mistake, so I just called now and told them I am a volunteer fireman and was wondering if I would be able to get my personal vehicle insured thru geico. Well, the first agent did not make a mistake the second agent said the same thing,"I'm sorry but we cannot insure you" Then I asked, "but if I get into an accident, my fire dept's insurance would cover me and the vehicle. she didnt say anything for 10 seconds, Then I get "well, I'm sorry but thats company's policy."

As an insurance agent, I've never heard that one before. Geico is about the only company that will insure persons in the military as most standard insurance carriers will not due to the fact that they move from base to base and one area of the country to another. Geico stands for Government Employees Insurance Co....pretty ironic, eh?

And by the way...I've never found Geico to be a bargain and have never lost a customer to them. Picked up a few from them, though!

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Asstchief1630
    George,

The insurance agent asked me a bunch of normal questions then he asked if my vehicle had any modifications or non-factory items so I said that I had a lightbar on my vehicle. That is how he found out about me being a volunteer fireman.

Wait one 1 minute...I started thinking maybe the agent made a mistake, so I just called now and told them I am a volunteer fireman and was wondering if I would be able to get my personal vehicle insured thru geico. Well, the first agent did not make a mistake the second agent said the same thing,"I'm sorry but we cannot insure you" Then I asked, "but if I get into an accident, my fire dept's insurance would cover me and the vehicle. she didnt say anything for 10 seconds, Then I get "well, I'm sorry but thats company's policy."
    I'm in NJ and GEICO doesn't write in NJ, so I can't do this. Why don't you call the Woodbury, NY office and ask to speak to someone in underwriting. Ask them the same question. See if they will send you this in writing (they probably won't). Then...

1. Tell us here
    2. Write to NYS Dept. of Ins. (you can do it online) and ask if this is permitted under NYS law.

Good luck

When I picked up my new truck last year, I had to find my own insurance (not on someone elses anymore). The first place I called was Geico. You know, that stupid little reptile said they save you over 15%. After got the quote, I had to wonder "Save 15% compared to WHAT"? What a rip-off. I ended up going with All-State, they were WAY lower than anyone else I checked.

Geico didn't ask if I was in the FD and I didn't volunteer to tell them either.

All-State's online quote questions asked "Is this vehicle an Emergency Vehicle?". Well, it is loaded with lights but guess what, according to CT State Law, it is NOT an emergency vehicle so I checked no. I went through and checked yes just for giggles to see what happened. It was higher but they didn't say "Good Bye".
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

In Arkansas, a light bar will get your ride classified as an emergency vehicle and will disqualify you for insurance by many carriers. Of course, a lot of the local agents seem to have a "don't ask and don't tell" attitude about it all.

I do know that a POC friend of mine had a minor accident while responding to a call (with his red dash light in use). His insurance company stated that the red light made his truck an emergency vehicle and they didn't want to pay out because he didn't have emergency vehicle insurance. He hasn't used a red light since and that incident is why I never did in the two years I was POC.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI

In NJ, an ins. co. is not allowed to charge an accident against your record if it occurred during a volunteer response and did not involve negligence.

This also holds true in New York State. According to form U350(10-00) under Accidents (this is always an included disclosure in my policy), Section A, Part 8 it states:

Emergency Use - Accidents involving the operation of a vehicle in response to an emergency if the operator at the time of the accident was responding to a call to duty as a paid or volunteer member of any Police or Fire Department, First Aid Squad, or any law enforcement agency. (This exception does not include an accident occuring after the emergency situation ceases or after the automobile ceases to be used in response to the emergency.)

All this means is an insurance company can not raise your rates as a result of an accident while you were driving an emergency vehicle. They can (and most ins co's do) increase it for your personal car being an emergency vehicle (having red lights and siren) as there is an increased risk involved.

I will see if I can get that in writing and call NYS Dept. of Ins. on Monday. What really sucks is you volunteer your time, wear & tear on your vehicle and your body, many arguments with your spouse and now some insurances companies make you pay a higher premiums. Whats next?? And they wonder why volunteerism in depts. is so low. Dont get me wrong, I would not quit my fire dept., even if my life depended on it, but at least they can do is cut us a break.

You know up here insurance companies do things like that all the time, I dont think they discriminate against volunteers like that, but I do know that there are certain areas of the city where people cannot get fire insurance on their homes, simply because it is a high fire area. That doesn't seem fair to me.

Originally posted by Asstchief1630
    What really sucks is you volunteer your time, wear & tear on your vehicle and your body, many arguments with your spouse and now some insurances companies make you pay a higher premiums.
    I'm not saying their position is right or wrong... But that its easy to understand why feel the way they do. If you have a light bar on your truck, you're going to be at higher risk than other drivers. You'll be responding at a higher rate of speed. You'll be a distraction for other drivers. They don't make money by selling insurance to high-risk people because they're more likely to pay out.

MembersZone Subscriber SIGNAL99COM's Avatar

Default Really???

If you have a light bar on your truck, you're going to be at higher risk than other drivers. You'll be responding at a higher rate of speed.
    Really? I wouldn't know if this is true or not because I don't have a light bar on my vehicle but became very interested when I read your post!

So what your telling me is vehicles with light bars automatically drive at a higher rate of speed. How do you know this? Does the light bar give vehicles more horsepower?
    Chris Shields
    Lieutenant / EMT
    Haz-Mat Technician
    East Syracuse Fire Dept
    Onondaga County, NY

The insurance companies better not give out policies to people who work. I would say 9 out of 10 people speed to work when they are running late. So what is the diffrence? First of all, If i remember correctly a lightbar does not give you the right to speed, run stopsigns etc. We are kind-of getting off the topic here. Geico would not give me a policy because i belong to a volunteer fire dept. not because of the lightbar.

Forum Member

Default Re: Disgusted

Thank God Utah doesn't allow lightbars, or more specifically, my volunteer department doesn't allow them.
    I insure through Allstate, seems to be a good deal.
    When the agent found out I was on the job we jawed for quite a bit, he was even more impressed that I'd volunteer with the local City FD in addition to the job.

Businesses have the right to refuse service to whom they choose, just like the Webteam here, as we've witnessed.

*Mark
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

MembersZone Subscriber

Interesting about Geico...I personally have Progressive and I made sure that they knew that I was a volunteer. They didn't care one way or the other. Another company here in Missouri is California Casualties. I don't have them, but they give special rates to FF's and advertise that they will cover your gear, lights, sirens etc, if stolen or broken in a wreck.

I am not endorsing either company, just a little more info for you...good luck in your quest for insurance.

I have insurance already i was just seeing if geico was cheaper. My insurance knows that im a volunteer and every other insurance company i ever had, had no problem with it.Thats why i was shocked when geico said no.

Here in Nebraska I have never had it be an issue with State Farm or Farmers Insurance Both agents new I was on the Dept, in fact the 1st agent was a paramedic with another dept, which is why he was my agent. I specifically asked the Farmers Ins agent when I switched and he said no problem.
    Remember,

If you don't respond.....who will

IACOJ EMS Bureau Member
    IACOJ Member

MembersZone Subscriber

If Geico won't insure you because of being a volunteer (I misunderstood the original post), that appears to be discrimination.

I had thought the issue was a red light bar which does let you legally break V&T Laws (when it is safe to do so). You are right, just having blue lights gives you no privlages to break V&T Laws there for you should not be held to higher premiums or any other harassment such as this.

When I signed up with Geico there was a question of a previous accident involving my issued chief's vehicle. After explaining to them what happened, nothing else was ever said. I don't remember if the issue of being a volunteer was ever raised.

MembersZone Subscriber

In the NJ Motor Vehicle Code, it clearly says that a vollie with a blue light is NOT an emergency vehicle. That must be why they don't underwrite higher. One could make an argument that someone who volunteers to risk their life for their municipality tends to be a more responsible citizen, therefore, less of a risk.

Of course, the lightbar is also clearly illegal in NJ, so it would be interesting to see how they dealt with that after an accident.

OMG, this is turning into a blue light thread!

SFDChief,
    I kind of thought maybe the red lightbar was the issue when i first called but i called a second time and said,"I was wondering if i can purchase insurance on my personal vehicle and i also belong to a volunteer fire dept." I did not mention anything about a lightbar and they said the same thing. "sorry we cannot cover you". After she said that i began to tell her if i am responding to and from a call, my fire dept. insurance covers me 100%. she still said sorry thats company policy.

Thread Information