FIGJAM

Question The Dreaded Medicals!

How many departments have medicals or fit for task tests for responders?

Are they for paid staff only, or volunteers also?

Are they pre-employment and that's it, or ongoing?

What sort of things are tested?

Do you use the medicals as a culling tool?

What about industrial fire departments such as those found in some of the oil companies, etc.?
    Luke

MembersZone Subscriber

We require all prospective members have a "pre-employment" physical and all members on a schedualed basis. Under 40 years of age are required to have a physical every 3 years and 40 and over every 2 years. The only exception is SCUBA team members which are required annual physicals.

The physical itself consists of past history, blood work, urinalisis, ekg, pulminary function, hearing and vision tests and a detailed exam.

Forum Member

lutan1-

Everyone in our department who wears an SCBA or respirator goes through the medical exams. Here, Michigan is governed by MIOSHA, and the medicals and some kind of fit test are required by law. The questionaire that people fill out is also required by law, but we don't need to ever see it since it's medical information. The doctor or nurse reviewing the info is the only one who sees that form, and they return to us a slip that says "Firefighter so-and-so is OK to wear a respirator".

All firefighters (paid or volunteer) must have a yearly physical to include a resting and stress EKG, blood work, respitory capacity test.
    This is done at the expense of the fire department.

Forum Member

Default Why?

Why are you asking. Have you been turned down because of a medical or have a pre-existing medical condition that could keep you from gaining a badge?

Captain Bob

www.eatstress.com

Early Adopter

A pre-employment physical is a requirement of all career positions... Vitals, chest x-ray, drug test, blood work, etc. Last year, however, I'm told that grant money was received to send everyone -- career and volunteer -- for physicals.

FIGJAM

The reason I ask is I'm in charge of two industrial Emergenct Response Teams. I've raised concerns ove rthe lack of medical and physical tests being done. We're starting to get into soem pretty physical training in the next few meonths such as BA and Hazmat, and I was concerned about the safety and well being....

What about drug and alcahol testing, anyone doing that?
    Luke

MembersZone Subscriber

Yep. Everyone has to have the physical; f/t, p/t, vol, etc.

It is a basic full physical.
    "The more we sweat in training, the less we bleed in battle."

Forum Member

If you remember from your hazmat classes you must have a yearly physical if you respond to any hazmat which now includes any structure fire. And that shall be paid for by the FD>

MembersZone Subscriber

With my department, everyone must undergo a respiratory fit test physical prior running calls. All members must undergo this same physical every 1, 3 and 5 years based on your original test results.

We also conduct annual respiratory fit (SCBA) testing. all testing is paid for by FD. With all the LODD resulting from heart attacks, I believe every FD should conduct testing. We are also trying to start a mandatory physical fitness work out program.

Forum Member

Our Dept has adopted the IAFF's Wellness and Fitness initiative which includes a comprehensive medical and physical yearly. Its an excellent program and I heartily reccommend it. It also has the goal or tracking certain identified problems(by means of a database) through 25 years, with a view to proving a link between firefighting and certain ailments.

Thread Information