55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Quality Control Check????

How 'bout a quality check for the forums?? Can the web team install a "spell check" device to catch some of the more difficult malaprops? Or do I bring up a needless, pot stirring, debate? Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

I am no computer expert, so I don't know if the WT could do this. BUT, in order for a poster to post a message, that individual has to be on a COMPUTER......Right........??????

Most computers I have seen have some form of WORD PROCESSING program that includes a spell check feature......Right..?????

I am just marginally computer literate, but I do know how to have 2 windows open (maybe one the word processing program with spell check) and the other window FH, so that I could type into the word processing program, then cut and paste the SPELL CHECKED result into FH. This, of course, will not catch errors of usage, such as when to use there or their or they're, but it will catch general spelling or typing errors, which can help in getting a message across.

I can't help but think that an embedded spell check program would slow things up even more!

I am a firm believer in individual responsibility.
    9/11/01 Never forget Never forgive

Dusty, working on Crusty IACOJ

Forum Member

A spell check option would kill us as almost every username would fail. Almost all of our "shortcuts" would also fail (E-One, SCBA, RIT) It would make it more of a nuisance than it would be worth.

Besides, didn't everyone learn to spell in like first grade? God knows, my daughter keeps correcting me!
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

IACOJ Agitator

First the meaningful conversation died...now you want to kill the meaningless?!?!? What are you trying to do? Shut this site down?
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

MembersZone Subscriber

There did used to be a spell check feature on these forums. The web team eliminated it due to "excessive cost of the feature". I spell check by using "copy and paste" and the spell check in my Outlook.
    "What makes a person run into a building others are running out of?...Character."- Dennis Smith

www.elmirafire.org

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking ADZE! ADZE!..........

Of course not! The world needs meaningless...... if not, I wouldn't be here. I started out poking a bit of "tongue in cheek" humor at a few folks, and I guess I got off the track. I sit here and manually use my Funkin Wagnalls to check a word now and then, but a few out there (they know who they are) just fire away. If they spell a word of more than 4 letters correctly, it's accidental. They also think that punctuation means getting somewhere on time. Stay Safe....
    Last edited by hwoods; 04-09-2003 at 02:28 PM.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Thread Information