Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Tiller Vs Straight truck

What is the opinion on the tiller vs the straight truck. Some cities are doing away with them, some are not. Any input?

Forum Member

Well, in the city near me they only use straight truck for reserve now as all front line ones are tillered. There are advantages as far as tight streets, parked cars etc to the tiller truck. A tiller also takes 2 people to drive which may or may not be a consideration. Seems to me that any advantage/disadvantage to any type of apparatus depends on where you are and what you need to accomplish the job at hand.

MembersZone Subscriber

There are advantages to both of them, it just depends on your situation. My cousin's department looked at buying a straight rear mount, after buying tillers sinced the department's inception. After close analysis it was determined that because of all the equipment they carried and the ground ladders used, they would not be able to have a rear mount. So they kept the tiller, and they were happy with it. My department currently uses Pierce Quantums with the All-Steer rear steering system. If maneuvarability is your only problem, consider a pierce aerial with All-steer, it certainly works for us in getting a huge rear mount in tight quarters. As I said before, each type has advantages and disadvantages over the other, and they both get the job done just as well as any similar aerial.

MembersZone Subscriber ullrichk's Avatar

One of the trade magazines (Fire Engineering?)did a comparison a few years ago on the maneuverability issues. My recollection is that the all-steer did as well, if not better than, the tiller rig. I have no idea how well the all-steer mechanisms hold up mechanically.

Of course weight and ladder complement might be issues as well. The extra set of wheels under the tiller might be a good idea if your trucks run heavy. The floor in your station might need the better weight distribution, too.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

MembersZone Subscriber downtownlt's Avatar

my company has been running tillers since
    1952. i love it,, maneuverability in our
    cities tight streets is great, although
    the only drawback is waitng for 2 drivers
    (we are all volunteer). we have tried
    straight jobs (although none with the all-steer)
    and just cant put it the places we put the
    tiller, also i dont know if we could
    put all of our equipment on a straight
    job

MembersZone Subscriber

When Fire Rescue did the tiller versus straight stick comparison in Portland Oregon, Pierce was there with a video crew, you can get the video from Pierce. Basically the paid tiller crew could not keep up with the all steer in their own district.

Forum Member

Thumbs up Ding teh Ding!

The smaller straight trucks made by Aerialscope and Pierce are good.

Thread Information