I could really use your help... I am doing a research project on issues involving both paid fire departments and vol. departments. I will not use any names or department names in my report. I have a short questioneer I would like you to participate in. I appreciate any opinions and views you have on any or all of these questions. I really appreciate your help and support. My goal is to recieve at least 100 replies. If you perfer to answer in private you can e-mail me at email@example.com Thank-You. If you are interested it is as follows:
1. Are you on a paid or Vol. Department?
2. Do you feel your department has adequate equipment?
If not, what do you feel your and your dept. greatest need? Why?
3. Do you feel your department has adequate personnel?
If not, what would you change? Why?
4. Do you feel you have had adequate training? Why or Why Not?
What about the others on your dept.? Why or Why Not?
5. What is one or more concerns you have regarding your dept.?
6. From your experience, do you think that power trips/egos create safety concerns? In what aspect?
7. What are your thoughts of women as firefighters?
8. Why did you become a firefighter?
9. How long have you been a firefighter?
10. What is your age?
Thank-you again for taking the time to answer this survey.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 4 of 4
Thread: I could really use your help!
04-08-2003, 02:07 PM #1
- Join Date
- Apr 2003
I could really use your help!
Last edited by firefly911; 04-09-2003 at 12:59 AM.
04-08-2003, 02:25 PM #2
- Join Date
- Apr 2002
- Austin, TX
2. No. Our greatest need right now for equipment is portable radios.
3. No. We have an adequate number of personnel, but we don't have adequate staffing at all times. Finding a way to increase daytime staffing with qualified personnel would help.
4. Hmmmmm...I'll send you an email about this one.
7. They can do the job, but a much lesser percentage of women are physically qualified to do the job than men (hormones and genetics).
8. I became a firefighter to increase my medical experience and have something to talk about in med school interviews.
9. 1.5 years.
Last edited by EricCSU; 04-08-2003 at 04:13 PM.
04-08-2003, 03:22 PM #3
- Join Date
- Jul 2002
3. No. The senior members are more worried about who we will get than getting bodies, so they refuse to recruit. They are overly worried about getting rid of bad apples, so we have no apples.
4. No. For one thing, our chief engineer is more concerned with polishing the trucks than making sure we can do everything with them. There is no one really in charge of training, so most nights we sit around discussing our latest calls.
5. Lack of personell & Training. Chief dislikes deligating, so he is too busy to do everything.
6. See above
7. If they can do the job, who cares. We had a 5 ft female, who was an excellent FF (also a Black Belt in full contact Karate). If they can't do the job, lose em. I want FF who can save my butt, and I don't care which restroom they use.
8. After a career in Law Enforcement, I still like helping THE PEOPLE.
9. 2 years
04-09-2003, 02:13 AM #4
- Join Date
- Sep 2001
- S.E. Idaho
A) Answers represent Career Department
B) Answers represent Volunteer Department
1- Paid Firefighter & Volunteer Firefighter
2- A)No, I feel we could use more Inspectors, Public Educators, PPE, Portable Radios and upgrade our SCBA's.
B)No, we need newer trucks, better PPE, Hand Held Radios, (we just upgraded our SCBA's).
3- A)No, We staff our engines with 3 persons and 1 company runs a 2 man engine. I feel every engine should have 4 persons at least on it. To comply with NFPA 1710 and to get the job done.
B)No, we seem to always be short on help. Whether it is a medical or a good burner we always need more hands. Finding and retaining good help is very hard to do.
4- A) I feel that I'm given every chance to attend training to better myself, my department and those whom I protect. I feel the others in the department, some of the older guys could use some refreshers and a lesson in current tactics. But we're a well trained department.
B) I feel that for a volunteer department in todays day and age, we do really well. Most of the members are trained above the basics.
5- A & B) Budgetary concerns.
6- Power trips & egos get people killed!
7- If they are physically able to do the job, welcome aboard.
8- Help others, to test my abilities and I'm a type A personality.
9- 5 years
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)