Thread: trust

Default trust

Recently, our department had a live burn training exercise. The evolution consisted of burning gasoline. I've been on the department for a year now, and have never responded to a gasoline fire, so this was a totally new experience. I'm a girl, so the men sometimes doubt my abilities. But when I had the best time and efficiency out of all of us, they gave me a thumbs up and told me that they would trust me as an attack partner anytime. It took me almost a year to build up that trust, but I've got it now!! Attack, here I come!

By the way, it's a vol. deparment.

Forum Member

blaze - great job!

However, burning gasoline is not acceptable for live fire drills. God forbid someone got hurt, your department would most likely be in deep trouble. NFPA 1403 would be used as standard for LIve Fire training, and gasoline is a no no.

Whoops! Just noticed you were from Canada, and I don't think NFPA applies in Canada.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Just too damn slow.

Bonesy:
    You beat me to it. I was going to mention the gasoline thing.
    Blaze; congratulations on reaching this plateau. It feels good when you can set goals and attain them.
    Wait a minute; you're from Canada.
    Nevermind.
    Take the nozzle; back up sucks.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Permanently Removed

Default Good job...

One of the most important things to remember on
    an interior attack is to hit the base of the fire
    and not aim that stream in the air and bring down
    that 1000-2000 degree thermal barrior on you and
    the crew. If you ever make over to it to California,
    it called a "Fire Control III" class. www.fire.ca.gov

Also, its already been said, I would avoid any
    future drills with gasoline...Bou
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 04-09-2003 at 04:16 PM.

Forum Member

Bravo, Blaze. I will repeat what I put in another post. We had a Female (what's this ""girl"" stuff) FF, 5' tall. [She also has a Black Belt in Karate]. She was an outstanding FF. I want FF's who can save my butt, and I don't care which restroom they use!

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree. Currently we have 2 females on my dept. and they can run circles around most of the guys. Blaze, Wonderful job. I know it's tough to "break into" a tradtionally male dominated area. Heck, when I started, I had a female lieutenant that helped me out a lot. I want someone who is going to do the job and do it well no matter who you are.
    Why is that the nay sayers act all surprised when a woman can do something, sometimes better, than a man??
    Again, congrats! Keep it up.

Keep you head down and your powder dry.

MembersZone Subscriber

Maybe this was a Class B fire drill outside?

Anyways, Blaze, congratulations!
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Blaze79, congrats. What part of Canada are you in? My dept. is based in the township of Constable, NY in the US, but we protect the township of Elgin, Que. and go mutual aid to Godmanchester and Hitchin Brook, Que. too. I remember my first structure fire last year. I had 115 hours of training prior, but was still new, hell I still am new. I did my job and did it well. I recieved my praise for my initiation by fire and went on my marry way. I don't like that male v. female controversy either. I am a man and I'm not sexist I dislike all people that aren't able to do the job they volunteered for. I know many men and women I wouldn't go into a fire with. On the other hand I also know a few men and women I would welcome the opportunity to go in with. Again congrats. Play safe...

Chris Dufrane

Forum Member

I am with WTFD10 ..............and I hope we are both right .......also some of our females DO run circles around the guys !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Constable11
    My dept. is based in the township of Constable, NY in the US, but we protect the township of Elgin, Que. and go mutual aid to Godmanchester and Hitchin Brook, Que. too.
    My department has an auto aid agreement with a neighboring department just across the line in Michigan. So far the only reason it's automatic is because quite a few of us on both departments have scanners and listen for each other's calls. There would be a very long delay if we waited for the respective dispatch centers to contact each other and tap out the run.

If it's this difficult to work out between two states I imagine it's even more so between two countries!

How well is it working for you? What arrangements are made at the border crossing? Does Customs let you roll right through if you're running lights and sirens?

Sorry to get off topic but this really intrigues me
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

I'm another female on Blaze79's department, and I also participated in
    the live fire drill. She did incredibly well, I, on the other hand took quite some time. I was very impressed with her precision, but now I'm doubting my abilities. I enjoy firefighting, but now I can't help but wonder if it is the thing for me.

Fort Smith, Northwest Territories, Canada

Default Gas vs F-FF

I too think females can make a great addition to a fire department (my girlfriend and I are both vollies on the same dept). Although I also have to say there are a couple of females on my department that I would not go into a dangerous situation with, simply because of the fact that if I were in trouble they would not have the stength to help me out). That being said, there are one or two guys on the department who could come close to the same predicament(granted I am 6'1 and 250+ lbs so it would take a bit to drag me .

As for training with gas, I have done this as well. Actually, if you are being picky about it, I would suppose it was avgas or diesel (aircaft crash and rescue simulation with AFFF handline attack).
    Our department generally follows NFPA guidelines, but I am not aware of the particular regulations regarding gasoline and live fire training, perhaps somebody could enlighten us?

SubarcticFF

Forum Member

Psycho, settle down. Rather than question your worth, get with Blaze and figure out how to do things better. I believe we all excell at some things, and stink at others. By focusing on what is hard for us, we become better overall. Hang in there!

WTFD10,

The communications are pretty good actually. The only real problem is the language barrier, but most of the firefighters and public service personel over there know enough English that communications aren't hampered too bad. We had M/A fire in Godmanchester last month and things went well. I think we made it to the fire before they did. The border isn't a big problem either. We either have fire control notify the border and they let us pass or since our second station is located a quarter mile down the road when they see the lights we just go on through. The only problem we have had is the Haz Mat control in Que. gave their men information contrary to what our Haz Mat control said. We just said to them "do you want to take responsibility for the spill or let us run the show." No water was put on the chemical ( I can't remember what it was) and all was well. I hope this satisfies your curiosity.

Play Safe...

Chris

Thread Information