Default apparatus design

I am a Senior in College majoring in Mechanical Engineering and I enjoy reading and studying fire fighting and currently have my application in with the local volunteer department. We my university does not offer a course in Fire Apparatus design but I have talked with the Department chair and he is allowing me to pursue an independant study in Fire Apparatus design, pending that I can create worthy 3 credit class. So I have been doing my research and have come up with this list:
    a. Bulk Fluid Storage and transportation (tankers)
    b. Pump design and specifications
    c. Hose performance
    d. Drafting Performance
    e. High rise water delivery
    f. Nozzles (Fog, Piercing, and Flow Rates)
    g. Foam Delivery systems
    h. Suspension Systems
    i. Ladder Tower Design

As I said I am a mechanical engineering student my background is mainly in Fluid Dynamics, Heat Transfer, and Mechanical Design. I am looking for any information on this topic, especially books and other engineers that design apparatus. I know that this forum is not for "engineers" like me, but for the engineer on the apparatus, but I feel you guys/gals are the most educated on this topic. I am also putting a simmilar thread in "The Engineer" section. Please feel free to email me at wallda@uwplatt.edu If you know of anybody that works for a company that makes apparatus, that may be able to help me, please email me their contact information. I really appreciate all of your help!!!!!! Thanks,

Daniel Wall
    University of Wisconsin
    wallda@uwplatt.edu
    Last edited by walldaUWP; 04-10-2003 at 12:50 PM.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Flog nozzle?

Is that the one that you use to beat back the rubber-neckers?

Default opps typo

Yeah I guess I should Have double checked my post, I am an engineer so my typing/spelling has to be weak.... I ment Fog not Flog...... HAHAHA Oh well,

Dan

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Having gone to school for Engineering initially (Biomedical. I think I was on something at the time I checked that box), and knowing how engineers like to talk to each other, you might want to contact some of the major manufacturers and see if you can get hooked up with someone in product design. I know they all give tours of the plants. Pierce I've been to myself, and I know others who have been to American LaFrance, E-One, Quality (Crimson now I think), and KME, and they all have said that everyone was more than happy to answer questions and talk. Even if they weren't buying a truck everyone was helped. Engineers always like to talk to other engineers or engineers-to-be. I'm in software and I'm the same way, because we only understand each other so we only talk to each other.

Forum Member

Good Luck. I went to an engineering school, but studied managment. I think an interesting topic would be an examination of Fire Fighter biomechanics, and how changing truck design could make it safer & easier. There is a big difference between pulling hose off a bed in jeans & a tee shirt vs. turnouts and SCBA.
    For example, our CAFS unit has bins on top that open from the in side. Every time we need a tool, or to repack hose, someone has to climb up on top. If the hinges had been put on the other side, we could reach a lot of gear from the ground. Then climb those little fold out steps in bunker gear, when they are wet - it's not fun!
    I think more user input from "grunts", not chiefs, is needed.

MembersZone Subscriber

Know the ISO standards inside and out. Those are the required minimum performance standards. www.isomitigation.com

Know applicable NFPA design standards.

Thread Information