Thread: Fire house Dogs

Permanently Removed

Default Fire house Dogs

Does anybody have pets around the fire house these days, mainly in the paid dept's, Like dalmations or other dogs?

Fort Smith, Northwest Territories, Canada

Default Firehouse Dog

It's not much, but maybe we can consider this dog to be a good firehouse dog because the sound she makes while breathing could pass for a bad case of smoke inhalation. (Actually, this dog's owner is now alumni so they aren't around as often anymore).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

No I don't think any of the stations have a critter around.
    I know Engine 8 doesn't, the station is barly big enough for the engine.
    No longer an explorer, but I didn't wanna lose my posts.

IACOJ 2003

Forum Member

We have a 5 year old 1/2 dalmation and 1/2 lab. He still looks like a dalmation with the whit coat and spots but has the temperment of the lab and is real friendly with children. We take him around for pub ed talks and fire prevention week. We also have taught him to stop drop and roll, and jump through hoops. He has made the front page of a local apparatus manufactures calender by wearing their hat and having a cigar in his mouth. He also goes on calls with us at times.

we had one up until a couple of months ago but we had to let one of the members take it home w/ them because for some reason he was prejudice against African American people. We have no idea why we never trianed him to be like that he just was.
    LADIES LOVE ME.
    FLAMES FEAR ME.

"I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO THIS FLAG, IF THAT BOTHERS YOU WELL THATS TOO BAD!" AARON TIPPIN

If you wish to burn our flag please remember to wrap yourself in it first!!!

ALL SOUTHERNERS ARE EXEMPT FROM ANY AND ALL OF MY YANKEE COMMENTS ON ANY AND ALL FORUMS.

THE SOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN!!!

Forum Member

Our mascott or pet is our Probie...

*Mark
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

Forum Member

Unofficially, Sam, my border collie is my stations dog. If I am out for a walk and get a call, he is yards ahead of me in getting to the station when he hears my pager or the station sirens and waits patiently for me to get back from a call, which may be hours.

He has been to a job once on the truck, but never again, as the boss took days to get over it!
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

Forum Member

We call our pet chief.

And before anyone gets any ideas it is a fish.
    Proud to be IACOJ Illinois Chapter--Deemed "Crustworthy" Jan, 2003

We had a cat once, but it got run over by the pumper. Then we found a ferret one night. He was in the station when we came back from a fire. I have no idea how he got there. He got passed around , living in various firefighter's lockers until the chief found out. It was really quite entertaining. My wife ended up keeping the ferret as a pet. A couple of our female firefighters had fish as pets, but the chief made them go too!
    IACOJ Military Division
    NM Office
    ------------------------------------
    "There are three kinds of men: The ones who learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest of them who have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."

Permanently Removed

One night we had a dog wander into the station and hang out for a few hours, then just wander out. Thats the closest we've had to having a pet

Forum Member

Default Pets

Dalmations were bred as hunting dogs in France and England. They would ride and run ahead of the carriages. That's how they ended up in the front seat of many a fire rig. They are not really good pets, especially with children.

Most departments had cats, not dogs. They kept the rat population down around the firehouse, particulary when the horses and their feed were housed in the station. We have a picture of our 1923 Seagrave with a feline perched on the fender.

You know why the stairways in the old firehouse were circular? It kept the horses from going upstairs. True story.

"Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com
    Last edited by CaptBob; 04-11-2003 at 05:55 PM.

We had a stray cat that hung out at the station, probably because the LT kept feeding him. Anyways, I guess all that home cookin' made him too fat and slow...unfortunately he got squished out in the street (not by us though). We may get a new one however to keep the rattlers away this summer.

Forum Member

Don't need a dog, we have Lt. Don
    MGB&KY&Y-FDNY 9/11/01

MembersZone Subscriber

my firehouse took in a stray cat..its been living under our shed..and some nights in the firehouse since early december. The older Firefighters during the day feed it and take care of it. Also pending who is around at night they feed it also. it eats real good especially when we have our Spare Rib BBQ Fundraiser .. Doesnt have a name yet though..
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

Forum Member

i had a dalmation for over 10 years and i have 4 bros and three sis

they are good dogs if they are raise with kids...and if you have a collie that is a few years older to train it

but i have a border collie now that could be a firehourse dog if the chief would allow it

he is white gray and black

just like what a fire looks like when we are done
    FireSarge
    Joseph Sullivan
    Ohio

"Any man willing to die in my place is my brother. Any man willing to turn and run is my enemy. Which will you be?"

Thread Information