Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Post Haines City Fla--Fire Destroys Homes--2 families homeless

THE LEDGER

Fire Leaves Two Families Homeless

Two families were left homeless after an early morning fire started at one house and jumped to the house next door.

The fire started about 3:40 a.m. Tuesday at 2406 Thelma Ave., and flames spread to the house next door at 2410 Thelma Ave. No one was injured in either fire.

"Both families said they were awakened by their smoke detectors," said Haines City Fire Chief Lon Cheney. "They were able to get out of the house safely."

The names of the families were not available Tuesday.

Cheney said the Fire Department responded quickly, but had some problems with a dry hydrant and had to use a second hydrant in the area. He said the hydrant problem only caused a short delay in getting water to the houses. The house at 2406 Thelma Ave. was already almost fully engulfed when firefighters arrived.

The house at 2406 Thelma Ave. was destroyed. The house next door received substantial damage after the flames got in through the roof eaves and spread to the roof.

"There is a lot of damage to the walls," Cheney said.

Cheney said the cause of the fire is still unknown but both fires are under investigation by the State Fire Marshal's Office.

He said both families were given shelter by the American Red Cross.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Post Follow Up...Closest Hydrant Not Working

POLK ONLINE

City probes 'dry' hydrant after homes destroyed
    By STEVEN N. LEVINE
    ncpub@earthlink.com

HAINES CITY -- Haines City public works officials are investigating why a hydrant in a new development near an early morning fire failed to work Tuesday.

City firefighters were forced to sprint a block for a second fire hydrant after the first one they hooked to "came up dry", Fire Chief Lon Cheney said. Cheney could not say whether the problem allowed the fire to spread to an adjacent residence 25-feet away. Winds in the vicinity were light.

The blaze left at least eight residents homeless but no one was reported injured. Smoke alarms alerted residents of both homes, Cheney said.

Fire leveled the single-story residence at 2410 Thelma Ave. and gutted the east side of a neighbor's dwelling at 2406 Thelma Ave. Both residences are behind Landmark Baptist Church.

A niece of neighbor Jose Chavez Lopez said the home and its contents were a total loss. Firefighters and relatives say both owners had insurance.

The American Red Cross Polk County Chapter was aided both families with lodgings and incidentals, relief worker Greg Esteve said. Firefighters had no cause for the blaze late Tuesday afternoon. State fire investigators who probed the scene earlier were unavailable.

Ten-year-old Matthew Moss, an Eastside Elementary student, who lives behind one of the houses was awaken by a "big boom and a pop." His grandmother, who lives immediately behind the demolished residence, fled to his house in tears, Matthew said.

Lopez initially had no idea what was occurring when he was jolted awake about 3:40 a.m. to a smoke-filled house, his niece Blanca Vargas said. Chavez, who lives with his wife and four children, quickly noticed flames from next door were starting to lap at the east side of his home.

Firefighters were concentrating on Bonnie R. Crawford's residence which was engulfed. Public Works Director Ron Cotton said he was unaware the year-old hydrant at 24th Street and Dorato Ave. was out-of-service. Firefighters used another hydrant at 23rd Street and Pine Avenue.

The hydrant was checked when the city accepted the street from the developer, Cotton said.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Thread Information