District Chief

Post Tallahassee Fla--Legislature pushes for EMD Legislation

Capital News

Lawmakers Push 911 Legislation
    by Victoria Langley

Wednesday April 9th, 2003

State lawmakers are hoping a bill that would allow emergency dispatchers to give life-saving information will make it through the legislature this year. The bill protects dispatchers against lawsuits if their instructions are unsuccessful. Supporters say the bill is needed because only about half the state's dispatch centers will provide life-saving medical instructions over the phone. At a Capitol News conference... they played a 9-1-1 tape where a frantic girl begged a dispatcher to tell her what to do after her baby sister was found at the bottom of the pool.
    The bill's Senate sponsor says seconds count in an emergency. Sen. Mike Fasano says "When someone is choking, they can't wait ten minutes for the medical professionals to arrive on the scene. They need help right away, immediately. The 9-1-1 dispatcher is the person who can provide the immediate help. But only if the dispatch center uses the EMD program. Hopefully someday throughout the entire state, with the help of this legislation, 9-1-1 dispatch centers will use appropriate emergency dispatch protocols." Lawmakers are worried that time is running out in the legislative session and the bill may not get a vote in time to pass this spring.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Forum Member

I'm confused... The way that article reads, no Florida agencies use EMD right now? I would wager a paycheck that is wrong... Plus using EMD is a liability cover, you don't need a bill to use the system. You simply purchase the system and train your employees to use it properly. Also if you use NAEMD, that company will also go to bat for you in court if there is a lawsuit pertaining to EMD at your agency. Although the bill does ADD additional liability protection so that is good... I really don't see the importance of the bill. Unless your criminally negligent or didn't follow your department SOP about EMD no lawsuit against you or your agency will be successful.

Forum Member

Supporters say the bill is needed because only about half the state's dispatch centers will provide life-saving medical instructions over the phone.
    Where does it say that NO ONE ueses it? I'm not going to even comment on these dumb *** law suits. We all know how stupid it would be to sue someone who tried their best to help. All I will say is I hope it passes and encourages other centers to employ EMD.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

It doesn't say that anywhere, as my post said, it reads that way. People should be subscribing to EMD regardless of a Bill that makes no sense.

Just a thought from a retired Florida dispatcher. This has gone through the legislature before, lets hope it gets some credence.

Many police/fire departments I have had contact with still operate under the assumption that "no" emd means protection from liability. i.e.; "if we don't tell, we can't be wrong".

Of course just the opposite is happening. "Reasonable expectation" usually rules in civil cases. Whereas the caller has "reasonable expectation" to expect emergency services when they call 9-1-1.

Hopefully Florida becomes more standardized as the actual ratio of emd/non-emd is about 30/70 at this time.

tp

Thread Information