Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: finding a job

Default finding a job

What would be the best way for me to go into a career as a firefighter. I already have 2 years experience workign in Wildland, plus I just got back from Texas workign on the Space Shuttle Columbia Recovery Effort. I live in Washington state and hope to someday work for the Seattle Fire Dept. Anybody got any ideas on how I can get either more training or a good way to get a job their, or any other city?

Forum Member

ummmmm.... first you've got to apply. Here in Austin experience really doesn't count for much. Most everything relies on the written civil service exam.

Forum Member

Default Job Reality

This from fireghter Dan:

Fact: 1. many fire depts could give a rats $#@%^&* what fire academy you went to or if you even went to one!(the importance of a fire academey is not as high as it once was in the eyes of many who make the decision to hire a candidate. Oh! don't get me wrong! It helps to have exposure to the job, but in their eyes they can train you. 2. I have a bachelors degree in fire tech/adm it did not help one bit in getting a snot nose rookie's job! what it does do though is show that I am educated! The same can be said for a person with a liberal arts degeree! The key to any entry level job is the interview! If you can turn YOUR LIFE EXPERIENCE into one that relates to the job you will get the badge!....bottom line!!!! 3. The key is to market yourself to the market place! The market place is looking for MEDICS!!!!!! To be a good medic you must really like doing the job! If you say "yes" to this, go for it! Get the experience of being a medic then go to a fire academy and get the exposure. I see very few candidates that are hired as just firefighters; it happens but now days those slots are few and far between....... 4. this is very important! Take what captain Bob @ www.eatstress.com says as the gospel to getting hired. I mean this with all do respect to others (including myself) it is the best advice out there!...good luck!

For more on interviewing skills, check out the articles in the career section of this firehouse.com web site by clicking here:
    http://cms.firehouse.com/content/se...jsp?sectionId=8

Get an exclusive information rich FREE e-mail FireZine Newsletter by clicking here: http://www.eatstress.com/firezine_signup.htm

Absolutely nothing counts 'til you have the badge. Nothing!

www.eatstress.com

888-238-3959

Fire "Captain Bob"
    Last edited by CaptBob; 04-11-2003 at 05:59 AM.

Cool experience

The experience isn't really the problem, I have 2 years in Wildland Firefighting, aswell as a years volunteer work with a small town department. I went through a vocational training center and got my skills their. Medics are deffidently the job to be looking for rigth now, I currently have my basic first aid certification, but that's it, I have been planning on taking an EMT course around October and November. But im looking for just a firefighters job. What kind of experience does an airport firefighter need? Do they need any special qualifacations that a regular firefighter doesn't need? Where else would I be able to find a job strictly for firefighting, no medic qualifications, except basic first aid and CPR.

Forum Member

Default EMT

Even if it is a regular firefighter job, gaining your EMT cert will improve your chances because if makes for a shorter academy if the candidates have their EMT in place. The department is just going to show you their protocols and how they want things done.

"Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Even if it is a regular firefighter job, gaining your EMT cert will improve your chances because if makes for a shorter academy if the candidates have their EMT in place. The department is just going to show you their protocols and how they want things done.
    In my experience, this is not the case at all. When I was in rookie school for the Houston (TX) Fire Department, I was a Paramedic, but had to sit through and pass EMT with everyone else... and yes, a majority of my classmates were already EMTs or Paramedics.

Here in Fairfax County (VA), they have just recently taken Paramedic certification into account and took me out to teach me protocols and all. But those who had EMT certs were sitting right next to those who didn't... in EMT school.

Maybe smaller departments, but not the biggies, as near as I've seen anyway.
    Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

I'm with Kobersteen on this one. In San Antonio's Academy every Cadet went through the same fire and EMT training whether they were a certified FF/EMT or not. Maybe some smaller FD's will give preferential treatment for certs., but usually not the major metro depts. As for finding a job "strictly for firefighting"....I'm not sure those exist anymore. Good Luck all the same though!

Default finding a job

I have basic first aid and am CPR certified. And you wouldn't think that for big dept's like New York, Chicago, LA, Seattle, Houston, that they would have to be both EMT's and Fire Fighters, since the big cities usually have a separate rescue unit, aswell and paramedics unit, and the firefighters strictly stick to fire. That's why I plan on working for Seattle. But do you think that they would hire me on just having Basic first and and CPR cert. aswell as fire experience. OR would I have to go through the EMT training?

mikemale

Forum Member

Default Rethink

Don't be hanging your hat on getting on with Seattle with a first aid card. Even though they had medic rigs, everyone responding is a first responder EMT. Many will tell you it is hard to get on Seattle the first time around anyway.

Even Oakland Calif requires EMT. All those in the 108th graduating class for San Francico were either medics or EMT's.

"Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Default EMT Course

What type of EMT course would I have to take to get on with a dept. And where would I be able to get it? Are their any free classes anywhere?

mikemale

Mikemale, I would start by calling local colleges, many offer the EMT program and some offer financial assistance. If that doesn't help then call your local EMS provider (the non-emergency number of course) and ask if they can refer you a local program. Most firefighters today are AT LEAST an EMT Mike, there is rarely a way around it. Hope this helps.

Default favortisim?

Is it true that in larger cities it is more a "who you know" to get hired on their department. I've applied to Detroit Fire Department 4 times and have never recieved a response, and when I ask someone who is on DFD most of the time they respond with something to that degree "It is who you know." Is that true with most big cities?
    It is what it is.

MembersZone Subscriber

MikeMale -

Think about what you are saying..."wildland fire experience" this would really count for nothing in a metro dept (correct my if I am wrong). When is the last time a major brush fire broke out in downtown Seattle...Houston...LA..or things to that sort? The big question..how many structure fires have you been in? Done any F.A.S.T trainging? What level of Haz-Mat are you at?

Basic First Aid and CPR account for nothing when getting hired. As all have stated...being a Medic is it...most places want you either to be cert in their state or at the national level. Even then...you might have to challange or go through thier state program. Same goes for FF I/II...some states (or dept) will take you...some might make you challange...other will say "that's nice..but you are going through our academy".

Get you EMT...then go medic...in the mean time...try to get on a paid-on call or volunterr dept and get experience while still applying for the Metro Depts.

Good Luck

Forum Member

Default Experience?

Remember what happened in Oakland? Urban interface is a real threat.

Default Re: favortisim?

Originally posted by bonno45
    Is it true that in larger cities it is more a "who you know" to get hired on their department.
    I don't think it was the case for me when I put in for Houston, Texas and Fairfax County, Virginia...

It's because I was a Paramedic.
    Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Experience?

Originally posted by CaptBob
    Remember what happened in Oakland? Urban interface is a real threat.
    good point Capt. Bob ...just goes to show that every area has their own threats to deal with

Forum Member

Default Experience

You must remember getting a firefighter job is convincing the oral board you can do this job before you get it. If you can develop your personalized "nugget" stories (even if they aren't firefighter related) to lace your answers to demonstrate you not only know the answer but you have already been there, done that, got the ball cap, T-shirt and played the game; is where you can make the difference.

Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!

Captain Bob

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Mike-

Check this article out to get a good start on a career:

http://www.gethiredbyfire.com/5-thin...-fire-service/

Best,

Paul C.
    PaulC
    FF/EMTP
    City of Las Vegas Fire & Rescue
    gethiredbyfire.com & The Fire Jobs App

Forum Member

wow, I think Mike may have already retired as a career FF seeing as how old this thread is

Yep, some folks live to dig up long gone threads and try to revive them, which are over 8 years old.

They need to look at the posted date.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Thread Information