Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default What Would You Do?

Here is my problem. I am finishing up my FF1&2 this month and already have EMT. I have the opportunity to take an offer at a major fire district in a metro city only 30 min away. However, I have to move inside the year if I take the job.

I love my house and location. I would give anything to stay where I'm at and be a FF, the only problem is no major openings will come for a year or two where Iím at. My wife isn't making my decision any easier, she spent all night crying about the possible move. I just can't take another year of the 9-5 daydreaming about what my buddies at the stations are doing (like you lucky SOB's LOL).

Any stories or advice related to this, from the all knowing career guys?

Forum Member

Luckily, I didn't have to relocate for my job. We have to live within an hour of the HQ Station. I'm 55 minutes away.
    If it were me, or my role was changed and I wanted on the job, I would move ANYWHERE I had to to get that job.
    Half an hour isn't that bad.

*Mark
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Excited

Yeah 30 minutes isn't bad, but I live right next to my family and it's just hard to make changes. We were talking about having our first child soon and having them go to the school up the street. I think this is just part of the job and I think the reward is worth the sacrifice.

If I had a apt in the city but kept my house would this fly? I have to strong of moral ethics to lie and use someone elses address. This whole thing just happened so fast, and I can't seem to sleep from all the excitement. The guy recruiting said his dept averages a structure fire everyday. The dept in my current area is lucky to see one a month.

This is me right now ear to ear, can't wait to be a FNG!!!

First of all congrats on your job offer! I hope you decide to go ahead and accept the job, I don't think you'd regret it. I'm sure you understand all too well how hard these jobs are to obtain. I think when you and your family weigh the benefits/sacrifices you'll make the right decision for you, and besides like you said 30 minutes isn't bad at all.

It sounds like you have a year after taking the posistion to move. I say take the job. You may find that you love the area there too. If not, you always end up with a year of good experience to use and apply other places if you dont think you could live in that area. I say take the job. It is a lot easier to be happy in any home when you love your job then to be happy in a great home and hate your job.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah, I will take the job. Hell I'd kick the old lady out before I'd pass up this chance. I looked at some houses for fun in the district and found a beauty in my price range. I called a chief I know in another city, and he said most guys just use someone's address. I would feel weird doing that, so I'll probably just give it a chance and see if I like it. I'm sure with all the action I'll see, it will be one hell of a spot to be.

Default No brainer...

Ask yourself this- How many other departments are beating
    down your door to offer you jobs? Chances are not many.
    Are you married to your house? No?

If youre like most of us, your worked your *** off to
    get to this point. Are you willing to give up a
    lifestyle, great benes, the work schedule and the
    chance to work one of the best jobs in the world
    over a house and communte? No way.

I would take the position and "work to live" and
    not "live to work."

Take it.

takeittakeittakeittakeit!

Take it!!!

And let us know how it goes!

You'll have every chance to stop working there, but only one chance to start.

Best wishes (and congratulations!)

Look at the situation in reverse.

When you move, your family and where you grew up will only be 30 minutes away.

That is the best of both worlds for you.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member

hey at least its not accross the state

do you have any family at all living in the city

if so use their address

you can use friends but that gets a little fuzzy

you can get an apartment and not live there just to prove residence

hope that helps you out
    FireSarge
    Joseph Sullivan
    Ohio

"Any man willing to die in my place is my brother. Any man willing to turn and run is my enemy. Which will you be?"

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Angry @%$#&*#! Residency Requirements

If I had the money and the legal standing, I'd challenge the residency requirement for you. I have always held that residency requirements are unconstitutional. We don't have that stupidity here in the mid-atlantic area (except for 1 or 2 very minor departments that never do anything right anyway) Best Wishes. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Residence Requirements!

I think requirements on how close you live to a deptartment is in a way a good idea. However, I believe it should be more about driving distance to the station. I live 30 minutes driving time from the dept, but some people who live in the city limits it could take up to 45 minutes to get there. hwoods i know where your coming from, but think from a rookie position I'm would look like a a-hole coming in raising a big stink. If I brought up that I thought it was a bad rule they would know I wasn't living in the district and monitor me more closely when the time comes. I know thats what I would do if I had a number of years on the job, but for know I'll just be happy working.

Oh and on a personal note, now the wife thinks this is the best idea ever? What a headcase, she busts my balls for two days and now it's like it was her dream the whole time?

Anyone have these requirements play a role in where they HAD to live?

Default YOU'D BE A FOOL IF YOU DID'NT...

TAKE THE JOB!!!
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

So you have to commute 30 min no biggie. When I got hired I moved 2 provinces over for my job. I left a beautiful city, friends, family just to do what i am doing right now. I didn't know whether or not I would get hired in the city that I originally came from. Why not try bunking with another FireFighter, rent a room from someone and stay there while your working and head home while you're not? Just a suggestion. Question is how bad do you want to be a F/F? And if two years down the road that job doesn't open up....then what?

Cheers

Thread Information