Thread: 2003 Grants

MembersZone Subscriber

Question 2003 Grants

I am curious as to how many of your depts. out there applied for the federal grant this year and what is on your wish list if you get it. We are hoping for some new turnout gear and some other small stuff we need. If we get the apparatus grant it will help pay for the new engine we will be ordering soon to replace our '77 ward lafrance ambassedor.
    "Remember courage is only fear that has said its prayers"
    "Leather Forever"
    "FDNY 9/11/01"
    IACOJ since 3/03

Forum Member

We are hoping to upgrade our aging and a out-dated low band radio system to a UHF repeater. Most other depts around have or are doing the same thing.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

We applied for a Diesel Exhaust Removal System and Sprinklers for the engine room.

Last year we got a state grant and installed heat detectors but the fire in King of Prussia's substation showed us their limitations.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

We applied for a grant to replace our aged Brush Truck. Going back a little, when the "Engine 2" was purchased, a 1976 Dodge PW, it was a Fast-Attack Mini-pumper and rescue.

So we put in for a KME truck to be used not only for bursh fires, but also for hard-to-reach structure fires. Now that all these city folks have migrated to the mountains, they put houses in the most odd locations. I'd hate to see their insurance rates!

Anyhoo... It will have LDH, SCBA, everything the present truck can do. Only more high capacity pump.

We just recieved a grant from the county to replace our roof w/ a peak model, and to add two additional bays onto the building due to lack of space.

We applied for the 2002 grants to buy a new ladder truck, but they informed us that they would not give grants to provide rural communities with aerial apparatus. It wasn't a necessity.

Forum Member

Originally posted by Dushore5741
    We applied for the 2002 grants to buy a new ladder truck, but they informed us that they would not give grants to provide rural communities with aerial apparatus. It wasn't a necessity.
    Are the people going through and approving these grants at all associated with the fire service?

Are the people going through and approving these grants at all associated with the fire service?
    Absolutely they are. Does it make alot of sense to you to issue a grant for that amount of money to a rural department for a ladder truck. I would never even considering applying for that, as it seems logical that we wouldn't get it. It amazes me how many departments apply for apparatus that really have no chance at getting awarded, when it has been made quite clear that you have to be in desparate need of it. I have heard of some departments applying for pumpers to replace their "old" '86.

As for us, we applied for LDH and appliances (first time purchase, we do not own LDH), as well as replacement handlines and appliances.

Crossing fingers.

Forum Member

Well then explain how they can say "Rural depts don't need ariels"? Do rural areas all of a sudden not have buildings higher than 1 floor? Do rural areas no longer have buildings with roofs that may collapse? Do rural areas no longer have a need to use an elevated master stream? Is fire in rural areas different than fire in urban areas?

No. I understand the call volume is less and there may not be 10 story buildings but saying "they don't need an ariel" is rather ignorant.

Well then explain how they can say "Rural depts don't need ariels"?
    Simple. I wasn't defending that statement. I am not saying that some rural areas "don't need" ladders. I am also not saying that the one departments "old" '86 doesn't need replaced. What I am saying is that the number of grants applied for vs. the number of grants that can be awarded, and the $$$ applied for vs. the $$$ available, puts the emphasis on "need." Who needs that ladder worse, a rural area with a couple or few 5 story buildings, or a big city with highrises and industrial sections that is still using that old '66 ladder truck? Sorry, but the latter will win when it comes to the FEMA grants. That doesn't mean the rural department couldn't use one, but you have to weigh all the factors.

That was my point.

Forum Member

We applied for funding to replace our 1968 ladder truck. It's in deplorable condition. We only applied for funding to purchase a compliant, good used apparatus, something built in the mid 90's. We applied last year for a new/demo model. We decided to shave off about a hundred thousand and go for something used after we didn't get an award last year. Sure, we could go for something smaller; but this is what we really need the most right now. Smaller budget items are not really a problem. It's the big stuff that's killing us.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

We applied for airpacks to be compatible with are neighboring departments for RIT purposes, LDH for both pupmers, 1 3/4" attack line to replace our old 1 1/2" line, and all of the small odds and ends to help make both of our pumpers and service truck to be fully compliant with ISO and NFPA. We also asked for a complete set of extrication equipment for our service unit. We also asked for a multi media projector and some training material.

Dont worry...We got this!!!

Matt Griffin
    EMS Chief/FF/Paramedic
    East Chilton Fire and Rescue

MembersZone Subscriber

Last year we applied for 6 SCBAS, 6 spare cylinders, and a thermal imaging camera (which was more of a want than a need). This year we only applied for the SCBAS and spare cylinders since we didn't get it last year.

Forum Member

My volunteer dept applied for 3 AEDS, 3 set of BLS equipments (Jump kits, O2 kits, pulse ox, long boards, short boards etc.) 3 portable radios, and manuals for a 1st responder class and funding for the class. The majority of our calls are medical. Hope we get funded!

Thread Information