Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Question Federal EQ2B Siren

Has anyone had any experience with this siren offered by federal signal corp.? If so, is the sound just like the original mechanical Q? Our dept has been told that the mechanical sirens really drain the electrical system of the newer model trucks and suggested the EQ2B. I have never heard one and I want to make sure the sound is just like the "original Q" before making such a purchase. Thanks for your time and information.

Both Whelen & Federal make an "electronic Q" siren. I have never heard a complaint about any of them. The mechanical Q siren draws amperage in hundreds. You can look at the gauges and watch the voltage drop when you wail on it. The electronic version draw a whoping 10 amps.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Does anyone know of a website where you can listen to the E-Q2B, I checked the federal signal website and can not find anything. Thanks for the assistance.

A recorded sound on the internet would not do it justice.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Default EQ2

We have 9 or 10 Federal EQ2's and about 10 Whelen X-Ecuter's.

Does either one sound like a REAL Q?
    NOT HARDLY!!!

What's an advantage?
    Power draw. The EQ2 draws 30 AMPS constantly. Real Q is 100 Amps from dead stop, varying load while turning and hitting button.

BOTTOM LINE??
    Get a real one if you can. We got them because we have Telma Retarders and 270 AMP Alternators. Telma draws 200 AMPS with all four stages activated. We have also went total LED except for head lights, back-up lights and compartment lights.

Scoob,Thelma is a neat system,too bad they couldn't reverse engineer it to MAKE power instead of TAKE power.Then we could run all the widgets.If it helps you can now get Alt.with more than 270 in about the same size package.T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have one on our year old quint at my FD and have them on our Freightliner ambulances where I work PT. They definately don't sound exactly like a regular Q2B, but they sound close enough in my opinion. Given that, plus the significant power benifit, hard to see going with the traditional for today's power needs.

Thumbs up Siren Experience

We recently went through the same thing here at my department. We needed more siren on a tanker. The use of a Q would have greatly exceeded our electrical capabilities. We borrowed a Whelen Executor from a local vendor. Hooked it up to a battery and placed on the bumper of one of our engines equipped with a Q in the parking lot for comparison.

The sound is suprisingly comparable. I do feel the Q travels a little better but both are exremely loud and do the job fine. I have not heard the Federal but imagine it is similar.

We purchased the Whelen. It was less expensive and if I'm not mistaken draws only 13 AMPS. I believe the Federal is around 30. Check my numbers for accuracy, I'm going by memory. A Federal Q draws 100 AMPS at start-up.

The Whelen has a couple other features that are kind of fun. A bell, and a siren brake. It also comes with Wail, Yelp and Phazer. If you'd like the hear more feel free to contact me.

Default Firemedic38

You might want to check and make sure, our WHelens have a brake as well.

MembersZone Subscriber

We recently purchased a vehicle with the EQ2B. It's not bad, but it's not a mechanical Q.

It sounds like an electronic simulation of a Q. There's no other way to describe it. We have foot pedals hooked up to it and the use is identical. It winds up when hitting the pedal. Winds down when you let off. There is also a siren brake.

There is also a yelp mode that sounds like a regular yelp.

SCOOBY, is that 100 amp draw on a mechanical Q the constant draw? We were told by one of our mechanics that a new Q2B in working order will have a initial surge of over 300 amps. Once it gets going it levels off to around 100 amps.

No, if you hit the pedal on a mechanical Q and it is stopped, the draw to get it "wound" up is 100 amps. The draw to maintain it depends on how much it is "wound down".

MembersZone Subscriber

I understand what you're saying. This mechanic is one of the head mechanics from the KME dealer we work with. He said that from a stop, the Q2 draws over 300 amps just to get it going, then it goes down once it's going.

Regardless of what it is, it's significantly more than the EQ2B.

I'm not saying he doesn't know wat he is talking about, but 300 is high. If you think about it, most of our older apparatus with the REAL Q's only had 160 AMP alternators. If it really drew 300 amps you would shut down everything when it started. The main reason that we went away from Q's because we had a lot of trucks with acute tranny problems. While responding and all lights, electronic siren and Q going, the tranny would go into shutdown mode. I have since learned that many departments were allocating 1 or 2 batteries solely for the transmission...solving that problem.

However, our Captain over apparatus is dead set against real Q's. Now our apparatus have 270 amp alternators, but we also have Telma's on all engines (Jakes on new ladders). The Telma draws 200 AMPS when all four stages are activated. Even with the 270's and almost total LED landing, the low voltage alarms go off EVERY time you come to a stop/ red light when running all lights, electronic siren and EQ2.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by SCOOBY14B
    If it really drew 300 amps you would shut down everything when it started.
    I did question him on that. His reply was that because it's such a small period of time (a fraction of a second) it does not shut everything down. When operating the Q2, everything does dim.

Smile The real truth about Q's

Scoob,Depends on the age and frequency of use.If you really want to know,take a DVOM and an amps probe and hook it around the Q's motor lead.To get it cranking from a dead stop it will take 100-250 amps.That's the reason most apparatus equipped with mech.Q's have 6 group 31 batteries.For all intents and purposes the Q's motor is a modified Ford high amperage starter motor.No,it's not built by Ford but the draws and operating characteristics are mirror image.An aging Q can hit around 300 amps on start up. To keep it wailing is 50-100 amps depending how much you stand on it.Go ahead,ask me how I know(G).(Hint, all wires contain smoke)T.C.

Default Rescue101

Thats true. Age does make a difference. A few years ago, a small department I worked PT with had Whelen and Federal bring their "fake" Q's to let us hear. Federal also brought a "real" Q. They (Federal) had a pretty neat setup. Both were mounted to a panel/cart. Each had an AMP meter set-up to both. The real Q drew right at 100 amps at start up (between 98-110 amps consistently). The fake Q varied between 20-30 amps.

Pretty neat.

Thumbs up EQ2B....Close but not a Q!!!!

I got to try the EQ2B at the Harrisburg Expo this year. Overall, I was impressed with it but, it's just not a "Q"! A local ambulance has the Whelen version. I think that it dosen't sound as good as the Federal.

Forum Member

The cost of the EQ is higher than the real McCoy?? What gives there. Thats like paying more for a Cibit Zerconian (sp?) than a Diamond. I agree the there was alot of R&D but lets face it, its an immitation of the real thing how can they justify the $. However, there is a place for a EQ like on a smaller apparatus ie; grass rig. But a EQ would look awful funny on a pedistal mount. As far as electrical demand goes, that should only be an issue on a retrofit or old apparatus. Currently NFPA has electrical supply v/s demand requirements and that takes into consideration all lights and warning devices as well as a certain % above and beyond the demand that the supply is required to produce. Yes I know that NFPA stds. are "sugested minimal requirements" but if you don't follow them as such then you are specing a substandard apparatus unless it can be justified as that it doesn't apply to your department. One last idea on power supply, if you are going to have a PTO generator most brands will also produce DC electricity in enough amps that you could even eliminate the alternator all together. Just a thought.

MembersZone Subscriber

I just wanted to thank everyone for your replies and the information shared.
    Matt Griffin
    Chief
    Eastern Chilton County Division of Fire, Rescue, and EMS, Station 91.

Thread Information