Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spartan vs HME

Default Spartan vs HME

Pros and cons.Which one and why.Known issues only,no rumors please.T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Why??????????????????/

If I was going to pick one of those I would chose neither. I would go with Seagrave peirce or ALF custom chasis. Just my point of view........

Never seen a HME except in a pic so i can't comment on them. We have had a Gladiator for the past 8 years with no problems. No paint issues. Awaiting our new Rescue with a Sparton Metro Star with the Gladiator trim package. To view Colwood Fire-Rescue

Can't really comment on HME, never worked with one. But my former POC department had a few Spartan chassis finished off by General Apparatus in Minnesota. 2 are fairly new, a 97 with a squirt and a 2000 with a squirt. The 88 is just now going in for a referb. Spartan allows for a decent engine/tranny combo and plenty of cab room.
    Just remember, even a great manufacture can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear. Just make sure your spec is well written, has performance criteria, and is what YOU need.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

We have a 2000 HME P2 that New Lexington put their body on. We haven't really had any problems with it until recently when we found a bad ground that could have caused a fire. Another problem we had was due to the Cummins engine and not HME.

The truck rides great, turns easy and has plenty of room for driver and passengers.

Just keep in mind that whomever does the body work has a lot to do with whether you will be happy with the truck. I know companies who had electrical problems with their Spartans but that was traced back to the body company.

Good luck.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

Pierce is way out of our budget range as is Seagraves.We currently have a body/pump design that we have "standardized"but the two man cab really doesn't make it.Plus Pierce wasn't too forthcoming in our early project,it was a I'll spec you a truck and this is what it will cost."Ah,no:I think WE will spec the truck and you tell us if you can build it at a price we can afford".But chassis come down to these two at this point.T.C.

Lightbulb HME/Spartan

I can give you some factual info on these two truck just because I have been checking them out. We needed to make a change and they both seemed to want our business.

The HME cabs seem to be made of a thinker/stronger metal. They also seem to be somewhat cheaper for a more loaded out truck.
    The Spartan folks are offering full trucks through Crimson Fire with any type metal for the body, where as HME is offering stainless steel. HME is stating they can offer that stainless for the same price or close to an aluminum body.
    I also heard about HME wiring problems and asked them about it, they put me in touch with the head of warranty to discuss the problem and stated all new trucks are fully multiplexed.
    I addressed the same issue with Spartan and am still waiting to hear something.

In talking with some other folks, it seems the service after the sale part might be much better in that of HME.

Please post any info you get.

We (Westbrook)have both (2001 HME 1871 & 1996 Metro-Star). We were not unhappy with our Spartan although it has had issues (belt shredding and extreme odd front tire wear). Peculiarly we have had the same issues with the HME too. When we speced the new truck in 2000 some neighboring communities had purchased newer Spartans. It was amazing how they had "cheapened them up". The doors are made differently, the interior trim looked really cheesy, and according to the dealer the altered doors made the cab very drafty. I also find access for the driver and officer to be better with the HME. I can't compare rear access as our Spartan is a short four door and the HME is a long four door cab.

Thread Information