Forum Member

Default Columbus, OH fatal..

3rd Alarm fatal alarm on the Ohio State University campus. A 3 story occupied multiple fully involved on arrival. Total of 5 DOA, 4 other critical burn patients. 2 firefighters also transported for minor burns. Searches ongoing as of 06:00.
    Remember KQJ943

Forum Member

yeah and they are thinking it is a definate arson

i guess it shows why you shouldnt party all night at college

if it isnt an arson the families might be able to sue the college for not providing adaquate fire prevention and supression systems to slow the growth of fire till fd arrives to put the wet stuff on the hot stuff
    FireSarge
    Joseph Sullivan
    Ohio

"Any man willing to die in my place is my brother. Any man willing to turn and run is my enemy. Which will you be?"

Forum Member

Nope, sarge, it's now reported to have been an off-campus, non-OSU-owned building. If anybody gets sued, it's the landlord, and that's only if there was noncompliance with fire code in some form. I'd suspect that the truth will turn out to be some ****ed-off drunk frat boy was trying to get revenge on some other dude who stole his girl or kidnapped the fraternity's mascot.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

sorry i didnt read up entirely on it but i heard about it this morning on the radio
    FireSarge
    Joseph Sullivan
    Ohio

"Any man willing to die in my place is my brother. Any man willing to turn and run is my enemy. Which will you be?"

MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy

I went to OSU many moons ago, and am familiar with the area.....As tragic as this is, I have to say it surprises me this kind of thing does not happen more often. The off-campus housing is very often pitifully maintained Victorian era Balloon-Frame construction. I don't suppose it's improved a whole lot in the last 15 years or so. Too many kids pile into structures that were orignally meant to be single-family dwellings. Add to that the usual mix of college kid craziness, and you have a recipe for disaster.

My praise and admiration to the CFD for getting the majority out OK, and sincere condolences to those who lost loved ones.
    Hopefully this is a wake-up call to the slum lords who own the "student ghetto"!

Forum Member

jthomas, you are on the mark. I attended the University of Kentucky and lived near (fortunately never in) some places that would absolutely make any firefighter queasy.

With all the incense & candle burning, dope smoking, drinking, fighting, and stupidity that goes on, compounded by the terrifying architectural stunts some people have pulled, it is downright MIRACULOUS that there are not more such fire deaths each year.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

The building was not on campus proper, but rather in an off campus building which normally was pretty quiet as parts of off campus go. It was not a frat house, either. This was, as jthomas said, a 3 story old style victorian converted into apartments. The city's code enforcement office says the building was last inspected in mid 2002, and given a clean bill. There were working smoke detectors in the building- several...

The timing of the fire is very ironic...Last week, Columbus and Ohio State University officials released task force findings on November's riots following the OSU-Michigan game, which included the increased need for alcahol consumption control. This party was a 5 kegger.

I would also give mad props to the guys from Battalions 1 and 3 for their response and efforts on the scene. E. 17th, at least the area where the fire was, is a windy culdusac with narrow streets and trees everywhere. That they got a ladder pipe up was quite a feat...Like many campuses, buildings in that area are packed TIGHT...Though this is surely a major tradegy, it could've been MUCH worse...

I'd also point you guys to www.thelantern.com , which is the student run paper at OSU...This is a pretty big story here..Remember, OSU's Columbus campus is 50,000 students...

More later...
    Remember KQJ943

Forum Member

hmm which fire district was it in columbus

we have some old gear at school from the First consolidated district or did you guys reorganize how your districts are set up

i am 124 miles north of you in brunswick ohio right off of I-71
    FireSarge
    Joseph Sullivan
    Ohio

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by DualReverse

I'd also point you guys to www.thelantern.com , which is the student run paper at OSU...This is a pretty big story here..Remember, OSU's Columbus campus is 50,000 students...
    Ahhh, "The Lantern"! I remember many a winter morning curled up in the Rathskeller wrapped in the campus rag, sipping coffee, pretending I didn't have an 8:00 Calculus lecture!

When you're going to school, it's amazing what kind of living conditions you find "acceptable". The crietria generally are" #1 out of sight of Mom & Dad, #2 refer to #1, #3 your roomate knows to knock before barging in.

I don't think the current building codes in general can effectively deal with the kind of old structures you find around big campuses like OSU. They are ancient, and often massively rennovated (on the cheap!). They are packed with a bunch of occupants who often lack anything resembling common sense... I know, I was one of them!

Indeed, the Warwick nightclub fire underscores this in a terrible way-too many old structures are grandfathered because of special interest groups claiming it's too expensive to sprinkler an old building, etc. Even when the mode of use has changed over the years. It's unfortunate, but it seems in our system that there is a blood tax that needs to be paid before any meaningful change is effected.

Again, though, my hat's off to our brothers and sisters in the CFD, as that is a difficult area to work in.

Forum Member

Arson was cause of OSU fire
    Tuesday, April 15, 2003
    From Columbus Dispatch staff reports

Arson is to blame for the fire that killed five students Sunday at an off-campus apartment building near Ohio State University, officials said Tuesday.

"This clearly was an arson fire," Columbus Fire Division Capt. Steve Saltsman said during a press conference. Saltsman said the fire at the house, 64 E. 17th St., was "incendiary" in nature.

He said investigators have an idea how the fire began but were not releasing any details, except to repeat that it began in the front of the building.

They still have witnesses to interview and did not want to taint those interviews by releasing too much information Tuesday, he said.

Saltsman, however, said that investigators had not identified a suspect.

A reward of at least $20,000 is being offered for information leading to the arrest of the individual or individuals responsible for the fire. Police were passing out leaflets in the neighborhoods seeking the public's help in identifying a suspect.

Forum Member

Not sure what you mean by "district". The fire occurred in Battalion 2, E7 was first on scene.

Incidentally, 2 firefighters from E7 performed a search upon arrival w/o a hoseline, rescued a few people (not sure if it was 2-3 or more) but after the last person was pulled out, the fire flashed just as the firefighter hit the back door.

As for the area, true it wasn't campus, true it wasn't a frat house, but it is hardly a quiet area. To give you a perspective, this house was only about a block from High St, one of the major north/south roads not only through campus, but through the entire city. In adition, many of the frat houses run between 13th/15th, this house was on 17th. This entire area is high crime and ridden with shootings/stabbings/murders/arson.

Forum Member

Actually, it was in Battalion 3's district. Battalion 3 is housed with Engine 7. The fire location was about half way between 7's and 13's, so both probably arrived at about the same time. Most of the radio transcipts printed in the news involved Engine 13 and Battalion 3. The fire went to 3 alarms (4 alarms is the highest that I have seen Columbus go to) and involved units from Grandview Heights and Upper Arlington as well as those from Columbus.

I lived on 16th when I attended OSU and I can attest to the comments made by previous posters about the area. The streets are one way with parking on both sides.

For additional information on Columbus Fire and some good fire scene photos from the next day, go to:

http://columbusfire.8m.com/home.html

Forum Member

dont you have consalidated(sp?) districts still or is that you outlying area
    FireSarge
    Joseph Sullivan
    Ohio

Forum Member

I'm not sure what you mean by "consolidated districts" Columbus has 7 Battalions and 31 (soon to be 32) stations. Engines 2 and 3 both run out of Station 2, so the number of stations and Engine Co.s don't match.

See: http://fire.ci.columbus.oh.us/emerg_services.htm
    Last edited by HM604OH; 04-16-2003 at 03:45 PM.

Forum Member

Doh, yer right, I get B2 and B3 confused all the time..

Forum Member

WHAT?

This is north campus, traditionally the quieter of the two divisions of eastern campus. The area you're thinking of is south of 13th, near South Campus/Wienland Park, in 7's area...Though the fire in question was a 7 box, it's actually the soutehrn end of 7's area which has the problems. As campus goes, that area, near the Iuka Ravine, isn't that bad...You'd find worse south of 13th or north of Lane...

The 3rd, 4th and 5th deceased victims were not discovered until after secondary searches were underway. As spo0k said, conditions were very bad on arrival, and they had people down as they arrived...It's a miracle more people weren't killed.

If memory serves right, it was EMS13, responding from on the air, who got there first. Also, I think Engine 18 was pretty close to getting there first- they were side 3 with Ladder 1, I believe.

Engine 51 and Rescue 71 were on the 3rd, and never made it out of staging. Also, I can recall several fires that have gone above 4 alarms...The old OSP/ Ohio School for the Deaf building fire comes to mind...Or how about the Matzels fire that went 5+ in 2001..Spo0k, were you on that?

Originally posted by ffspo0k

As for the area, true it wasn't campus, true it wasn't a frat house, but it is hardly a quiet area. To give you a perspective, this house was only about a block from High St, one of the major north/south roads not only through campus, but through the entire city. In adition, many of the frat houses run between 13th/15th, this house was on 17th. This entire area is high crime and ridden with shootings/stabbings/murders/arson.
    Remember KQJ943

Forum Member

edit to remove personal info
    Last edited by FiremedicMike; 03-25-2012 at 08:49 PM.

Thread Information