Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default questionable response

for now i will leave the fire department nameless. i am lookinf for input on the following response to a working house fire with people trapped. all were rescued by passersby.the fd on scene lost the house and did heavy damage to the number 2 side building.
    4 911 calls to the fd sent 3 engines 10 firefighters to the scene even with confirmed persons inside. this department has 6 engines 1 ladder 1 bc stafff levels are 20 to 26 firefighters per shift.
    people from the store where the owner worked drove over a mile to see the fire and were on scene whenb to men passing by made rescue.
    prior to fd arrival. once on scene to quote bc on scene it was to intense to enter. i did see fire in 3 rafters of the roof and little somke in the building. the fd on scene went into deck gun operations to knock fire down.this failed. 2nd and 3rd alarms were sent for help. at the height of the fire 5 handlines 3 deck guns in use all from the outside.
    1 more line was pulled for the number 2 side when fire started showing there.
    please give me your input on this thanks bill s
    added info on building size and not a rival department.
    the fire building was a 1 story single family house. brick walls with normal wood inside and roof. heated square foot 1480. plus 260 square foot of carport . the scene # 1 side street # 2 side 32x26 single family wood house # 3 side rear yard.# 4 side 36x24 single family brick house.
    3 deck guns were used to put out fire in the building of orgin. 2 lines went to the number 4 side. 2 lines to rear for brush coverage. 2 lines went to fire on number 2 side.
    in my firefighting a line sent into the house with a crew pullling the ceiling down could have stopped the fire in a short time. i was also taught that a search is done to insure the safety of all citizens. there was no fire other than a small area ofthe roof when i arrived. i have nothing to do with this department and live a hour away from the city.i just had deep questions about how a department can state they did a good job when the basics were never even tried
    Last edited by bills1; 04-22-2003 at 12:27 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Perhaps if you translated your post into English, we could make an assessment of just what it is you are talking about.

Balloon construction? Pre-fabricated Modular house? Truss roofs? Everyone is out....risk a little for a little, risk a lot for a lot.

Really need a little more info before anyone could make accurate comments.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Is this a call from a "rival" department? Are they always downing your FD and you're looking to return fire? Or are you just mad because they didn't call you in mutual aid?

And what's the plan here? To go to the department's chief and say, "Hey, dozens of crusty old jakes from the world over think you blew it"? Or do you just want to sneak among their members and whisper that Eminently Qualified Fire Expert George Wendt (or Captain Gonzo, or any other vet on these forums) thinks things should have been done differently?

I don't get the feeling this is a constructive thread designed to teach anybody anything. If this is some childish sandbox war, save it.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.Ē
    --General James Mattis, USMC

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Question Whattt?

First I see the word "House" then I see the term "3 deck guns". I've been doing this in one of the busiest areas in the world for the past 45 years, and I've seen ONE deck gun used on a house fire about, oh, I guess, Not more than a half dozen times over the years. In a quest for more (and more factual) information, how about posting a news clip, print or video. Please note, the term house used here refers to a "normal size" single family dwelling. If the structure in question is anything else, you should have said so. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

Default God; I love it when we talk "slang".

Fellow crusties:
    His profile doesn't tell you much either!
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

coupla questions.

1. woz the peaple oot of the huse when the FD arived.?

2. Wood usink only won deck gun haf safed the huse.?

3. Was the somke really bad inside.?

jus wondering.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Question

Hey Kiwi, did you use a dictionary to translate your response or do you speak the language?

If you've got a dictionary, please tell me where you purchased it. I really need one so I can understand some of these danged foreign language posts!

This one required the OompaLoompa - English dictionary, available from the OompaLoompa Bookstore.

The Price is three candy bars.

Default You paid too much!

Kiwi:
    If it cost you three candy bars, you paid too much.
    Man, you crack me up!
    Someone in Charlotte. Run over there and take his scanner away from him! Please!
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com

Forum Member

Ooooompa oooooompa oooooompadi do
    We've got another riddle for you
    If you want to read this poo
    Get our dictionary and read it too
    Like the Ooooompa Loooompa Doooompadi Do!!!!

Sorry, EastKYFF I'm not, but I do remember that movie!

Talking Jeeesh..........

Now You've done it! Ran him off before I could calculate the hydraulics........... Let's see... 3 Deck Guns at, well, say 500GPM each, Then 5 handlines at??? (we'll assume they were only 1.5s, 100 GPM each. Thats 2,000GPM. Now for the structure.... 30 X 60, 2 Floors, that's 3,600 cubic feet. IN 5 MINUTES, THE STRUCTURE WOULD BE OVERFLOWING AT THE CHIMNEY TOP!!! Stay Safe....
    Last edited by hwoods; 04-14-2003 at 11:37 PM.
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

The Ooooompa Loooompa folks have asked me a silly question.

"How did the structure on the no 2 side (um is that the B side) sustain heavy damage when the chimney was overflowing?"

2nd question.

"Why is Palanquin not in their dictionary?"

Talking Huh???

?????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????? ????
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

See you have made him feel unwelcome and he will not explain his
    ramblings. But you guys are killing me!
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Forum Member

ROFLMAO

keep bustin him for his idoicy

and what he speaks isnt as bad as some of the other sites i go on
    FireSarge
    Joseph Sullivan
    Ohio

"Any man willing to die in my place is my brother. Any man willing to turn and run is my enemy. Which will you be?"

LadyCapn....

The movie was Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
    The price of the ooompaloompah/english dictionary is three "Wonka Bars" or two boxes of "Everlasting Gobstoppers". They also accept cash, Mastercard, Visa and American Express!

And now for "Bill S"
    for now i will leave the fire department nameless. i am lookinf for input on the following response to a working house fire with people trapped. all were rescued by passersby.the fd on scene lost the house and did heavy damage to the number 2 side building.
    4 911 calls to the fd sent 3 engines 10 firefighters to the scene even with confirmed persons inside. this department has 6 engines 1 ladder 1 bc stafff levels are 20 to 26 firefighters per shift.
    people from the store where the owner worked drove over a mile to see the fire and were on scene whenb to men passing by made rescue.
    prior to fd arrival. once on scene to quote bc on scene it was to intense to enter. i did see fire in 3 rafters of the roof and little somke in the building. the fd on scene went into deck gun operations to knock fire down.this failed. 2nd and 3rd alarms were sent for help. at the height of the fire 5 handlines 3 deck guns in use all from the outside.
    1 more line was pulled for the number 2 side when fire started showing there.
    please give me your input on this thanks bill s [/b]
    Things to consider...

1. Did the "nameless FD" have simultaneous incidents? It is not uncommon to spilt one's resources during mutiple incidents and to call for mutual aid. Maybe their staffing level was down that day

"people from the store where the owner worked drove over a mile to see the fire and were on scene whenb to men passing by made rescue.
    prior to fd arrival."
    So... are you relying on second hand information from the "I was there" crowd or were you one of the
    "to men passing by made rescue".
    and looking for glory?

3. The type of construction, size of the building, fire load of the building and the expertise of the personnel on the scene actually fighting the fire instead of rambling like your post did will determine the tactics and strategies used...not a spectator!

4. You "saw" fire from three rafters of the roof. If you are seeing fire in the rafters, the fire has self vented through the aforementioned roof. There would be little smoke in the building...after all, smoke and heat will rise and if the fire went through the roof, the smoke inside would be vented! If the roof was steel bar truss construction, the span could be 20 feet between the rafters...3 rafters at 20 feet per rafter is 60 feet of self vented fire...and that, my friend, indicates defensive operations.

5. Murphy's Laws of Firefighting states: when the deck guns and ladder pipes go into operation, the building comes down. If the building is large, mutiple alarms may be necessary to control the fire. What was the water supply like? Was the fire in an area with hydrants? Did they have to relay pump due to long lays or low water pressure? Did they need a tanker shuttle for a non hydranted area?

6. Do have a clue as to what you are talking about?
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 04-15-2003 at 10:27 AM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Well... you all got a lot more than me out of that post, I read about 4 sentences and gave up on it. Better luck next time Bill!

Maybe it was his house?
    IACOJ Military Division
    NM Office
    ------------------------------------
    "There are three kinds of men: The ones who learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest of them who have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."

Default Woodsy?

Woodsy:
    Why you talkin' hydraulics? Bills1 wasn't talking about raising the house. Isn't hydraulics about moving oil through a hydraulic pump?
    What's it got to do with water? Were they trying to lift something with water pressure? Is that possible?
    "B" side? Is that like the "flip" side as in record? Not if it's a CD!
    Gonzo: I was engrossed with your response. You had me right up until the Gobstoppers. They hurt my teeth.
    Where is Bill?
    Maybe he's at another 10-70! 10-9 Bill. We miss you. Now, I have to take a 10-100.
    10-4. 10-7.
    10-10-200.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com

Thread Information