Forum Member

Unhappy Great.........now what do I do?

I've been testing like crazy, I've been scoring real well on both interviews and writtens. I'm pretty far along in the process for a few depts. Here's the problem. My #1 choice which is also the one I have the best chance of getting hired with is moving really slowly. It's taking at least a month between each phase of the process while another department that I like (#2 choice) is moving really quickly and if I do well enough to get offered a job at #2 I'm nervous it will be before choice #1 comes around.
    I've had it with my current job and am itching to get started with a department.
    Hypothetically what should I do if #2 offers me a job and then a few months later #1 does too?

BTW, thanks Cap'n Bob. Your material was instrumental in my high interview scores.

TIA
    Last edited by GrovFire25; 04-14-2003 at 02:21 PM.

Forum Member

Default Oh Tah

TIA

This is common. Continue in the process for both departments (no you don't have to tell them about each other unless they ask). because you never know if a glitch will arise. If a deparment offers you a job, then and only then make a decision. I've know candidates who received a job offer and went to the department they really wanted and presented the situation. If they want you bad enough, they will make it happen.

I've also know candidates who were in an academy and got the other job offer and make the switch. Happens more than you know.

Were you getting this kind of results before getting our entry level program?

Here's more:

Changing Departments?

Question:

Dilemma?

Hi, I visited your web site and also see your input on bulletin boards. Is it ethical for a person to get hired by a dept and then in accept a position to a dept closer to home or my dream department? Would your opinion change if the person got to go to medic school working as a ff for the first dept, then applied to the dept close to home after all that training?

Would this be regarded as unethical or opportunistic by the second dept?

Reply:

Ask yourself if the opportunity is to advance your career and benefit your family. If it does, then do it. It happens all the time. Especially, in promoted ranks.

"Give the gift that keeps on giving . . . Guilt!"

For more on interviewing skills, check out the articles in the career section of this firehouse.com web site by clicking here:
    http://cms.firehouse.com/content/se...jsp?sectionId=8

Get an exclusive information rich FREE e-mail FireZine Newsletter by clicking here: http://www.eatstress.com/firezine_signup.htm

Absolutely nothing counts 'til you have the badge. Nothing!

www.eatstress.com

888-238-3959

Fire "Captain Bob"

Forum Member

Default Re: Oh Tah

Originally posted by CaptBob
    TIA

I've know candidates who received a job offer and went to the department they really wanted and presented the situation. If they want you bad enough, they will make it happen.

Were you getting this kind of results before getting our entry level program?

Fire "Captain Bob"
    Wow I can't even imagine turning it around on them. They got you so brainwashed that you got to jump through hoops to get the job especially the larger cities.

I got your tapes before I started applying.

You read my mind on your last point about the ethics of getting hired on one dept then leaving for another.
    With the information I've been able to get about job #1 is they aren't in any rush an probably won't hire till October. It's a good size city and they are forming a list. They've narrowed the initial test takers from over 250 to 15 after the interview. I stand #7 going into the Physical agility test. If I pass the physical(I feel it will be a cakewalk for me) I go to the Chief's oral. I know some one who made the list in this city and didn't get appointed for 2.5 years.
    Job #2 is on a fast track for one position. They are an oceanside summer resort town and have a spot open that they want to fill quickly(before summer). I had my interview this evening after making the cut down to 8 after the written test.
    It's possible, if I did well tonight, to go to the physical, Chief's oral and get hired before June. I wouldn't feel bad about putting a couple years on in job #2 and then leaving for job #1 but if I get put on in June and then get offered a job in October and take it I'm gonna feel like a schmuck.
    Oh well I don't want to get ahead of myself. Let's see how it goes.

Forum Member

Default Yep

More will be revealed! Contact me for more on the Chief's Oral.

"Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default A bird in hand...

Man, just be glad you can get a job at all. I wish I had your problem.

Don't turn down any job offer. You never know what will happen with your #1 choice after you turn down your #2 offer. Budget cuts and hiring freezes are common now days. Take what you can get as soon as you can. You can always find a better department later. Who knows, maybe you end up loving choice #2.

Good luck.

Thread Information