Arrow Annoying trainees

This weekend, my little rural department was hosting the Part 2 training for our department as well as a few other surrounding communities. There was a 17 year old junior from another town that seemed to think he knew everything that there is to know about firefighting, even more than one of our lieutenants. Everyone was basically ignoring him and rolling their eyes whenever he made a smart-mouth comment, but I couldn't take it anymore. When one of our senior firefighters was demonstating how to do a certain hose roll, the brilliant little 17 year old kept barking orders and making suggestions about what was getting done wrong. I snapped. I said "Could you please shut up? I think he knows what he's doing." Well, the look on his face said it all. He immediatly stopped with the commentary, and I got congratulations all around from the people there.

I, myself am a female junior firefighter, but I know my place. Don't get me wrong, we do have our capabilities, but I know better than to question a senior member when he obviously knows what he's doing.

Forum Member

...another pup gets a smack on the nose with a rolled up news paper...
    "No one ever called the Fire Department for doing something smart..."

IACOJ Agitator

Nice way to stand up to the pup!

Keep up the good work!
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

MembersZone Subscriber
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

Psycho (or can we call you Francis?),

That is by far the best way to handle those chumps. However, your instructor should've done that, instead of letting him go on and on, and disrupting the class.

Kudos to you for stepping up!
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Forum Member

There is "one of those" in every crowd... it must be a NFPA requirement....

NFPA standard 2003: staffing and training of know it alls and morons.

Every fire department in North America, whether it be volunteer, paid on call, combination or career must have a minimum of one know it all or moron. Said know it all/moron is required to disrupt classes, make comments about everything they know nothing about and be a pain in the butt in general.

This is followed by NFPA standard 2004: staffing and training of persoonel to deal with know it alls and morons.

Every fire department in North America, whether it be volunteer, paid on call, combination or career must have a minimum of one person to deal with know it alls or morons. Said person detailed to deal with the know it alls/morons is required to be a member of the IACOJ BMI division and carry a rolled up newpaper designed to apply a corrective whap upside the head of said know it alls and morons.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

i am guilty of that...

i was at a training and we just went over in class what they were doing and when i saw something wrong i pointed it out...

my LT told me that the guy had been doing it for 15 years and didnt want to learn to do it the right way after doing it for that long so just keep your comments to yourself...

so if you have problems with whats going on dont knock the guy doing it but let an officer know and see what he says about it...but dont make it look like you are trying to knock it say you were taught that this is how you do it would you like me to demostrate..

it shows that you knwo your place but would like to put a little edge on what the rest of the "pups" should know
    FireSarge
    Joseph Sullivan
    Ohio

"Any man willing to die in my place is my brother. Any man willing to turn and run is my enemy. Which will you be?"

Forum Member

NFPA standard 2004
    Wow! I finally meet one of the NFPA standards!
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

OH MAN!!! I HATE KNOW-IT-ALLS!!! I just go right up to them and tell them how much better I am than they are and how I could do all the stuff they're doing along time ago, and how much better I do it than them or anyone else for that matter. I also tell them that I'm faster than they are and I am better looking too...I'll tell you what, I don't take anything off of a Know-It-All...I put them in their place, which (of course) is below me because I'm soooo much better than them and I'm not afraid to tell them so. You can tell a Know-It-Allthe first second they walk into a room....probably wearing some flashy, attention getting color....rambling on like a fool....ALL THE WHILE...thinking they are experts!!!! I just go up to them and tell them to stop being redundant.... ...and tell them that I can do whatever it is they're talking about...because I'm better and faster...and much better looking... ...Then I give them advice on how not to be a Know-It-All...so they can be more like me...chicks dig me you know.. Know-It-Alls................SHHHEEESSSSHHHH!!!
    May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

MembersZone Subscriber

This is true in all faciets of life. Even if you know the guy is way wrong, you should reserve your comments, and when you do have your chance to speak use tack. Let them know where your comming from, tell them you where taught a diffrent way and that you are wondering what way is the right way. Don't let them think that you are trying to show them up, or make them look bad, and you will be fine. Keep in mind that the male ego needs to be stroked coutinuesly, or else there will be trouble.

MembersZone Subscriber

when you do have your chance to speak use tack.
    Tacks are too small. They might not even feel 'em. Gonzo's rolled-up paper is much more suitable.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Forum Member

Originally posted by jaybird210

Tacks are too small. They might not even feel 'em. Gonzo's rolled-up paper is much more suitable.
    A rolled up newspaper with a few tacks embedded within the leading edge is a sure fire atention getter!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Default My solution

I hate know it alls... When I get one in class, I just simply tell them that I was out doing all the things I am now TEACHING them while they were still eating peanut butter and jelly with their Mamas at the kitchen table.

That usually shuts them up.

But I will have to start bringing a rolled up newspaper with me to class..
    Proud to be an official member of the I.A.C.O.J.

Paremediks R Us - You cut em - We gut em!

Firefighter 26's flame!

FIGJAM

Lightbulb

Well done Captain Gonzo- I like your NFPA standard- I think they apply world wide, though....

Why don't you turn it around on them?

Ask them to step up front and demonstrate to the class- I've done this a few times and very quickly shown themself and everyone else that they really have NO clue as to what they're talking about.

It's a good way to quite often demonstrate the incorrect way and you can point out their errors then move on to the correct way of completing said task....
    Last edited by lutan1; 04-15-2003 at 11:49 PM.
    Luke

Forum Member

Ask them to step up front and demonstrate to the class
    I have done this also! Even once had someone who was as good as she said she was.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

FIGJAM

Even once had someone who was as good as she said she was.
    DOH!

Don't you hate that?!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Luke

Forum Member

I hate people who are like that.
    No longer an explorer, but I didn't wanna lose my posts.

IACOJ 2003

Forum Member

Since I am in the process of reading my Instructor manual (which explains why I am posting here...yawn), I believe they offer the follwing 2 methods to handle this situation.

1) Ask the troublemaker/know it all to keep his opinions to him/herself. Explain to them that others are trying to learn.

2) When one fails, ask the "gifted student" to perform the evolution him/herself. If they do it correctly, point out to them how nice it was to not be badgered while doing said task.

Since both of these were already posted here, you guys wanna take my test for me....

OPTION 3:

Have the largest member of the training class sit on said student until he/she is quiet. Preferably after eating beans.

I agree, whoever was teaching should have handled this as soon as it began...end of story. Part of teaching is maintaining control of the class/enviroment.

Happy Easter kids.
    Dave

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Annoying Trainees

Just a fact of life there is one in every class.And Captain Gonzo I love your new NFPA standard,and when I teach I usually do what Lutan 1 said about calling them up front and allowing them to make a fool out of themselves it usually works.I had and old wise Instructor once tell me when I first started teaching that if you give them enough rope they will end up hanging themselves!!!!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by hfd66truck

Have the largest member of the training class sit on said student until he/she is quiet. Preferably after eating beans.

Mr. VP, I would recommend submitting that to IFSTA for inclusion in the eighth edition!!

P.S. I just finished Instructor. It was worse than HazMat.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Forum Member

I, too, hate it when someone who thinks they know it all jabbers incessantly during an event. It takes away from my opportunities to impart my knowledge to everyone else and PROVE that I really DO know it all.

Now everybody else stop posting, because my posts are the only ones worth reading.
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

IACOJ Agitator

Originally posted by jaybird210
    P.S. I just finished Instructor. It was worse than HazMat.
    LMAO...nnooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

If your written test is anything like the one in CT, well....all I can say is good luck to you Dave and anyone else.

And while you are trying to earn your "Instructor" patch, I'll be cleaning the lint off of mine. LOL just kidding bro.

Dave, I thought you worked at the BCFTA? Or is that just First-Due? Or am I just losing my mind?
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

FIGJAM

Now everybody else stop posting, because my posts are the only ones worth reading.
    hehehehe!!!!!

Now listen here son- I died in 4 world wars so you can be here today, and let me tell you that's no mean feat- I mean I walked 10 miles to school every day in the snow in my shorts, with no shoes on, not like you young ones today....

blah blah blah!

?Someone once wrote on these forums some time back- you only stop learning the day you die!

Ain't that the truth?
    Luke

MembersZone Subscriber

No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

I graduated my proby class in 99' for my paid job. Out of 20 so far 10 have been hired, 2 have gotten on other depts., 1 died leaving 7 left. There has been 4 yrs since we finished school so it isn't even like we were in the same class. Out of the 7 there are about 3 "stars" who know all and have done all. This should be interesting because the last 7 are getting hired in July.
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Stupid Probies

You give these kids a set of bunker gear, and all of a sudden they are ready to be chief. Some kids need to learn that what is done in the classroom in not how it always happens in the smoky dark. They need to learn that until they have met the dragon face to face and knocked him out, they're just going through the motions.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~The SmokeEater~~~~~~~~~~~~`
    Ceredo Fire-Rescue
    NREMT-Basic,Firefighter,Hazmat- Tech,Smoke Diver

"Live Long, Die Fast, have as much fun possible in between."

These are my opinions, not my departments.

Forum Member

You're on the dot, 661. As I heard it said, the older I get, the more I realize how little I know.

About two years in, I thought my fire service knowledge was peaking and that there was little left that I don't know. Ten years later, I know even less, it seems.
    Last edited by EastKyFF; 04-23-2003 at 05:10 PM.
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Thread Information