Thread: idiots

Default idiots

Okay, we responded to a vehicle fire out on the highway. We rolled to scene and found out that a bale truck with a full load was totally engulfed. A few hours later, it had gotten dark. Well, we had traffic control about 100 feet back on both sides, all of the lights were flashing and the fire was huge so visibility wasn't a problem. I was talking to an officer downwind of the burning truck, and we had just stepped off the road when someone screamed over the radios, "Watch out! There's a truck coming through!!" As he was saying that, a little grey pick-up truck comes flying through the curtain of smoke. He drove right beside the burning truck and didn't even look twice at all of the firefighters waving their arms and yelling at him. The stupid SOB didn't even stop. Lucky for me and my officer that we just happened to step off the road.

Be careful out there. You never know who's going to do something brainless.

Forum Member

This is why I've always said that the drivers license exams are WAY too easy and people are WAY to stupid.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thank goodness that you are safe. Nice quick thinking on the part of the FF on the radio.

Eric

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Safety first!

Blaze:
    Glad to hear that everyone is OK. You said that FFs were waving their arms. The driver thought you all were waving at him. You're suppose to be throwing stuff at him. That's why they put pockets on turnouts!
    And you got to admit; HE GOT OVER.
    Seriously; I have said it time and again; I would rather take on a structural fire at 2:00 am than to have my people work an MVA. Day or night; the idiots are on the road and many of them without either a license or insurance.
    But I was serious about getting their attention!
    Stay safe.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

God must love stupid people because he sure made a bunch of them!

*Mark
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

Forum Member

What would FEMA say if I put in a grant for several sets of Spike Strips for each truck? I think that would help slow them down.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Smile They're Everywhere......

Nobody has the market cornered on idiots. A few years back, I was working a crash on the famous (or is it infamous) beltway, I495 in PG County Md. A citizen stopped and got out of his car, walked up to us and started asking directions to NY. Problem was, as we pointed out very quickly, he stopped directly OVER TOP OF A LIT FLARE. And there was a guy who pulled up in front of a fire station near us, walked in and asked where he could get a bucket of water. Someone told him where the faucet was at the front door, and out he went. Fortunatly, somebody went to see if he found it and discovered that there was an automobile, well involved in fire, in front of the engine bay, so close that the station had minor damage from the fire! Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Default Shut It Down!

All the more reason to shut down the entire road...both ways if need be. Yes, I am aware that a Chief in MD was arrested a few years ago by MD State Police because he did just that on I-95, but wasn't that thrown out of court? When Emergency personal are working a prolonged highway incident, the road should be shut down as reguired. At the very least, the roadway should be 'gauntleted' (word?) with baracades and/or apparatus to slow down traffic one way or another, before speeding vehicles get to the area where personal are exposed. Obviously this wasn't done here as personal had to duck and cover. Just listen to the traffic reports that come from CBS 880AM radio out of New York City every 10 minutes on the 8 minute mark (24/7). Just about every couple of hours you will here that some major interchange or subway line has been shut down for "..police activity." Millions of communters can often be effected! So the inconvenience last for a few hours..so what. Put something in the way to stop this sort of thing from happening. Yup, yur gonna p/o some taxpayers but with a bit of therapy, they'll be over it in no time. Just try to ask a NYPD ESU truck or FDNY truck to move a bit to allow speedier traffic through a scene and see what happens. Personal observations as a Military FF observer have proven that if you want to learn emergency scene traffic control, go to NYC. Why increase the potential for more problems? Slow it down with barriers or stop it altogether. Period. Deal with the problem safely and efficently and open the road back up in a timely manner.
    Just my two cents worth on the facts interpreted from above.

Forum Member

We were working a call the road was blocked in both directions by a squad car on one end and a FD vehicle on the other. A driver decided he was going to go around th FD vehicle and continue motoring. Little did he know there was another squad about 100 yds down the road and he promptly pulled over, ticketed, and arrested for DUI.

And who says there is no justice

Just a side note if they think the wait is bad for an MVA with minor injuries. What would they think of the wait if someone was hit on scene.
    Proud to be IACOJ Illinois Chapter--Deemed "Crustworthy" Jan, 2003

MembersZone Subscriber
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

I echo the last two posts. Shut it down.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post Yup ! !

PEIPat is correct, it was one of our Chiefs here in PG that was taken into custody for refusing to move a FD vehicle so traffic could flow again (Around a several car crash scene). And the Chief was acquitted of all charges in court, by a judge that, according to those who were present, was quite upset with the State Trooper, AFTER all sides were heard. The way the story goes (I was not there) The Chief's attorney subpoenaed a whole crew of State Highway Administration people and the State Police Management, and successfully brought out that the State of Maryland had regulations regarding traffic movement that were not consistent with crash scene safety. That situation has been changed, and we now shut roads down quite often. There was also an incident some years back where a State Trooper told a HazMat Chief that the Hazmat team had 1 hour to handle the situation or the Trooper would have the overturned Acetone tanker pushed out of the way with a bulldozer so traffic could resume. That one brought out the State Police Superintendent who overruled his Trooper. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Thats why we have those big trucks!!! Joking let the Cop Shop
    handle it....but shut it down. Our State Patrol throw fits when we
    shut down I-71. But we ask what will cause more paperwork????? As was stated on any prolonged road incident shut it down.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Forum Member

We ask our people the following question. "You are working an incident on or along a public highway. You should assume every vehicle approaching the scene has a driver who is________."

1. Tired
    2. Under the infuluece
    3. Doesn't give a damn
    4. Mentally impared
    5. Distracted by incident, cell phone, etc.
    6. Is upset because you are trying to delay them.
    7. All the above.

As in most multiple choice questions, all the above is the best answer.

Do we shut down roads? You bet. We have had drivers argue with law enforcement about shutting down roads on the basis that their taxes paid for the road and we cannot deny them passage. So far no one has been hauled off,probably due to the "light"coming onnce the nice officer explains the part about the bracelets they carry and the small room they could spend some time in if they persist.

Stay Safe

Forum Member

hmm I-71 IS VERY DANGEROUS noew that all the construction is starting up again..

and i think FD trucks should start carrying spikes and set them up if they close the road. if you olose 4 tires cuz you didnt care about the big red trucks its your own fault
    FireSarge
    Joseph Sullivan
    Ohio

"Any man willing to die in my place is my brother. Any man willing to turn and run is my enemy. Which will you be?"

Default this is worse

Sadly, the road WAS shut down. We weren't letting citizens through at all, and to control things, we had a firefighter at each barricade armed with flashing beacons and those STOP/SLOW signs. There were also numerous pylons and road flares, along with our rescue unit on one side, and our command unit on the other side. Earlier on, there were police cruisers, but for some reason, they felt that they weren't needed after a few hours. This kind of makes our FD look bad, but we couldn't do anything to stop the guy.

Permanently Removed

We shut down the road at nearly all MVA's until told by the OIC to reopen a lane, or the whole road.

Forum Member

Default Re: this is worse

Originally posted by blaze79
    Sadly, the road WAS shut down. We weren't letting citizens through at all, and to control things, we had a firefighter at each barricade armed with flashing beacons and those STOP/SLOW signs. There were also numerous pylons and road flares, along with our rescue unit on one side, and our command unit on the other side. Earlier on, there were police cruisers, but for some reason, they felt that they weren't needed after a few hours. This kind of makes our FD look bad, but we couldn't do anything to stop the guy.
    Blaze,
    I don't see how this makes your department look bad at all. Sounds like you took the necessary precautions and this idiot blatantly ignored them. If the road was blocked and the flashing lights and stop signs & the like didn't stop him, nothing short of a spike strip or 12 gauge with 00 buckshot would've deterred him!!! I once saw an idiot drive through over a berm in an SUV to get around...some people just don't bother to think!!!
    Once again....the above views are my own and not that of my department. (And probably should not be construed as having any real meaning, whatsoever!)

IACOJ

Forum Member

Unfortunately, the concept of "Where there is a will, there is a way" applies to the ignoramous population too. You could drag Jersy Barriers out accross the road and totally block it. Someone will TRY anything to go around them. Parking a truck across the road is usually effective but it inhibits ambulance and tow truck traffic.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Not too long ago, at one of our late night MVA's Pfire almost got hit by a logging truck to start with. Then a little while later some woman in pick up, listening to her tunes, so loud that Pfire could identify the song when through. The truck saw her in time to stop safely, but only just, the pickup didnt even hardlt slow down.

THEN.. AND GET THIS... a little while after the woman drives through, she manages to stop another vehicle, driven by some "Redneck" who then tried to pick her up!!!!!

Overall though, we do close the road completely at least for a short time to set up etc, and then re-evaulate as the scene "plays" out. Also, we have been getting some pretty good feedback from RCMP too, now. There was a time when they got real mad when we would shut down completely, but now they are getting more "onside" with us on that.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Thread Information