Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who's cooking?

Default Who's cooking?

Just curious...

We have a cookng rotation; each day, someone else cooks (shift commander excluded). How do you do it? Same guy every day? whoever feels up to it? lowest seniority?

I know we all probably have better things to discuss, I guess I'm just curious. ( and now I'm making myself hungry...)

By the way- anyone have vegetarians on their shifts?

MembersZone Subscriber CFD Hazards's Avatar

There are some guys on the job that are gourmet cooks and they cook all of the time but for the most part, it is whoever wants to. We have no vegeterians but a good number of fussy people. We live in the "Ocean State" and I don't eat fish, my Lt. can't eat steak and another guy won't eat anything with cheese. There is another Lt. so allergic to chicken that he can't even be in the kitchen when we are cutting it up. The weirdest part of it all is the guy who can't eat steak can eat hamburg and the guy with the chicken allergy can eat eggs. The rookies always get the dishes unless they cook, then they are relieved of that duty.

Usually whoever feels like it.I only make Chili so I don't cook often. We grill ALOT@!!!!!
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

On our shift I AM the cook... I shop amd cook. The others clean up my mess.

Forum Member

Default Eats!

It depends which firehouse I'm at.
    HQ House we take turns, Captain/Shift Captain included. 3 man companies so it isn't too tough to cook for.
    Station 2 there is 5 of us, we grill burgers alot there. We'll rotate sometimes, or whomever wants to cook.
    Station 3 we have a gormet cook for a driver and he enjoys cooking.
    Station 4, the Captain doesn't like to shop or cook, so the Driver and Firefighter split it up.
    I'm the picky eater on our shift. I don't like salads or a number of other "junk". Everyone just cooks whatever and I pick out stuff I don't like. Simple as that.

*Mark
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

We cook by rotation. Starting with the Capts. and moving down through the rookie. Fortunatly we don't have any really bad cooks on my shift. We do however have 3 really good ones!
    Jeff Eaton
    GFD
    FTM-PTB Central NC Chapter
    IAFF Local 947

No officers cook in our job, everyone else does, on some shifts there are guys who prefer to cook all the time, but those are few and far between

Forum Member

We have a few guys that usually do the cooking. The other shifts rotate it by rig assignment. At HQ we have anywhere from 4 to 12 people depending on how many 40hr people eat. We have a couple fussy eaters, yes I'm one. There are a couple guys on the Atkins diet. We try to accomodate them but one cooks for himself all the time and the others do sometimes. Those who don't cook do the dishes.

Talking

I like the hot dogs with the cheese in them.
    It is what it is.

Cool

I make a mean frozen pizza.

Since we are in the great American southwest, it's usually red or green chile enchiladas! Soemtimes we grill. Most of the time, the whole shift joins in, at least at station 1. If you want to eat, you had better help out.
    IACOJ Military Division
    NM Office
    ------------------------------------
    "There are three kinds of men: The ones who learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest of them who have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."

MembersZone Subscriber

The cook?

Dogs to Go, Uncle Pete's Pizza, Wendys, Los Burrito Tapateo, KFC...

Or once in a blue moon some one will take the initiative to shop OFF DUTY, then it is who ever is willing

Originally posted by ADSNWFLD
    The cook?

Or once in a blue moon some one will take the initiative to shop OFF DUTY, then it is who ever is willing

Nothing personal... But THAT is sad.

Originally posted by ADSNWFLD

The station I ride-a-long at the aerial has to go get that for the engine. The engine has no eateries in its district. So wonder what they do if the aerial guys got mad at the engine guys?
    No longer an explorer, but I didn't wanna lose my posts.

IACOJ 2003

cfdeng3

You live in RI and you don't eat fish?!@ Whats wrong with you man?! I would kill from some of that fresh fish!

Most often the engine driver cooks (we rotate daily). Each kinda has their own specialty dishes. Nobody is picky. Throw it on the plate and give 'em a shovel!
    Marc S.
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    Solon Local 2079

Forum Member

On my platoon we rotate every time we work. Everyone including the Captain cooks. If its your turn and your out sick , vaction it passes to the next man. When you cook you pick the menu , buy and cook everyone else cleans. some of the other platoons have one or two guys that always cook or the always eat out. we like a system and it seems to work out with very few complaints. The guys on my platoon will eat virtually any thing

I cook alot. I had vo-tech training in culinary arts so i can cook almost anything, the problem becomes, i eat Kosher so i guess you can say i am a little fussy.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear" - Ambrose Redmoon
    ďItís like Legoís for firefighters.Ē Robert James III talking about hose appliances.
    "Police, Firefighters and EMS are the most collectively dysfunctional group of people in existence and only we understand each other!"

MembersZone Subscriber jhprice3's Avatar

Talking

whoever brought stuff, but whoever cooks doesn't have to clean. I cook alot .

At Central Fire, each of the crews has an informal cook. (Same holds true about not having to clean up), and there is a back up.

At the outside stations it really varies from crew to crew. Some outside crews hardly ever cook. There are only 5 guys at the outstations and some just bag lunch or order out.

Have you guys ever heard of Strombi? It's what we feed to all the new hires for their first week...plus we actually feed it to ourselves occasionally. 1 pound of cheese to every 2 pounds of 75% lean ground beef and secret flavorings. It binds like duct tape.

Dan-
    You could learn alot from a dummy

Thread Information