Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Angry Hope for the best?

SELLERSBURG, Ind. -- A firetruck crash in southern Indiana has led to even more trouble for the department's chief.

WLKY NewsChannel 32's John Charlton reported Monday that David Stark was responding to a brush fire when the firetruck he was riding in crashed into a ditch near the intersection of Polk and Newman streets in Scott County. One of the firefighters in the truck had to be hospitalized after Saturday's incident.

A neighbor told Charlton what Stark allegedly told him.

"He said he was on his way to put out a fire, and he lost control on the curve and put (the vehicle) in the ditch," Brandon Santos said.

A short time later, Stark reappeared at the scene in another department vehicle, Charlton reported. That's when investigators at the crash reportedly became suspicious. They administered a field-sobriety test at the scene of the crash, which Stark allegedly failed.

"While investigators, bystanders and other people were at the crash scene, he arrived, drove up in another fire department vehicle and throughout the course of events, it turns out that he was arrested for driving while intoxicated," Indiana State Police spokesman Sgt. Marvin Jenkins said.

It remains unclear what Stark did between the time of the crash and when he returned to that scene, Charlton reported. It's also unclear whether Stark was driving the truck that crashed.

Stark spent several hours Saturday night in the Scott County Jail, Charlton reported.

Another volunteer at the Fire Department was reluctant to talk to Charlton about the incident on camera, but he did say that the crashed truck is back in service, only suffering a broken headlight and side mirror. He also added that Stark admitted to having a few beers that day, Charlton reported.

"He's a nice guy, a good guy," said Jenkins, who added that he thought Stark is a responsible person.

Also, area residents said the turn near the intersection is a tight turn, Charlton reported. They said that drivers often slip on cinders there, but it's not clear whether that had anything to do with the crash.

Stark awaits a court appearance Tuesday morning.

Please follow WLKY NewsChannel 32 and TheLouisvilleChannel.com for updates to this story as they become available.

-------------------------------------------------

Hope these allegations are unfounded, but.... Not the kind of stuff we want fire departments involved with!
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Temporarily/No Longer Active dfdex1's Avatar

Exclamation

[size=huge]OH NO!
    Another
    BEER THREAD!!!!!
    [/size]
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Yeah, Gonzo, where is cdevoe when something emerges that he should read?

You may recall that Sellersburg got $500,000 on two FIRE grants in 2001 for a bunch of vaccinations and for PPE. So he was healthy and well-dressed when he showed up drunk.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.Ē
    --General James Mattis, USMC

MembersZone Subscriber jaybird210's Avatar
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

Huh. That's liable to get him kicked out of the clubhouse for a while....
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

WHOOPS!!!

No Gonzo, not looking to start another beer thread. Just wanting to make sure people see the results that can happen.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

OUCH!!!!! That's gonna leave a mark!!!!!!!!!

Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

sorry but i don't believe the unnamed firefighter should be talking to the press, at least not in my dept.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Forum Member

He's a good guy, a nice guy

Uh huh, he's such a nice guy he went barrelling at high speeds in an emergency vehicle with a passenger while INTOXICATED

Sounds like a real nice guy to me.......

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

Default I knew it would get here sooner or later!

AND IF I CATCH THE LITTLE UNNAMED BASTARD, I'LL BEAT HIM WITH MY WHITE HELMET!
    Oh; sorry. I was having a discussion with my wife. I was, uh, you know, quoting the "nice guy".
    We've discussed this before. Indiscretions by public safety personnel make good copy and sells newspapers. Especially of the chief officer variety.
    The only comment that I will have on this one is "thank God they stopped him before he could wreck the second one".
    My white helmet is red from embarrassment.
    And for all the juniors out there; this is a lesson in what NOT to do!
    I will go cry myself to sleep now.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Thread Information