Temporarily/No Longer Active

Question Goodluck charms on your Gear ?

We all know what we carry to do firefighting in or on our gear. But do any of you carry some kind of good luck charm,Picture,Prayer card in our gear?
    I personally carry my gf's school I.D cause its plastic so water dont ruin it and a St. Florian charm that is on my dog tags around my neck.

-dfd

Default Good Luck

I have a shamrock sticker on my helmet. My own little superstition. I also have a picture of my uncle...a great firefighter who passed on and is watching over me.

Stay safe

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

on the inside of my helmet by the rim i have three simple words "Come Back Alive".
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Forum Member

Myself I wear St.Florian around my neck. Before I go to work everyday I say a small prayer to those that came before me. I ask them for guidance,knowledge & wisdom for the shift ahead. I ask that they keep me,my crew and shift safe as we head out into the day or night and that they bring us home safe at the end of our shift.

Cheers

MembersZone Subscriber

I guess I'm in the minority, but I don't belive in luck, I belive that a person makes there own "LUCK" with traning, and doing what they are suppose to do, after that it is determination, and heart.

Just me.

Forum Member

St. Florian, rabbit's feet, prayer, four-leaf clovers, crosses and medallions...all superstious nonsense. If you REALLY rely on any of these things to "bring you home", I suggest you re-evaluate your career choice or train harder. MUCH harder.
    Last edited by ThNozzleman; 04-16-2003 at 11:57 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I myself am not very superstious(sp) I think the more you bleed in training the less you bleed in combat. But a little doesn't hurt. My wife on the other hand. She bought me a St Florian pendant. I have a St.Florian medal attached to the inside pocket of my bunker coat, and a Shamrock on my helmet.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

Superstition is a great American fire service tradition call it luck or whatever but many of us have a ritual or prayer we say/do before entering a good working fire... Personally I take a moment to think of my wife's smile....I guess thats kinda lame but I was so saddened by the families from 9-11 it made me realize how important coming home truly is.

It has nothing to do with training or risk taking its simply our individual way of clearing our mind and getting "The Job" done safely.

Forum Member

"No man may have his hearts desire lest he brave the smoke and fire"

a quote i got out of a book i read but i dont remember who said it.

luck is self-made but no man should ever turn his back on the fact that if something dont feel right you shouldnt do it.

call it faith call it superstition, if you feel something will happen do your job but be careful

besides what would we do without faith not all of us can be like nozzleman
    FireSarge
    Joseph Sullivan
    Ohio

"Any man willing to die in my place is my brother. Any man willing to turn and run is my enemy. Which will you be?"

Forum Member

I agree with what many have said that luck is a bunch of bunk. All you can do is prepare yourself with LOTS of training.

On the flip side of I have a "Jesus Fish" on my helmet's brim on teh underside. Everytime I put it on it reminds to ask God for the strength to do what is right and to watch over the guys I'm working with.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Some times things like a cross or something else with likewise symbolic feelings attachted to it can remind us to take the time slower/faster (depending on the situation) and remember God's watching over us.
    Keep American Clean, Eat Pigeons!

Some times things like a cross or something else with likewise symbolic feelings attachted to it can remind us to take the time slower/faster (depending on the situation) and remember God's watching over us.
    Keep American Clean, Eat Pigeons!

I was given a St. Florian medal and it lives under the rubber band on my helmet.
    Member IACOJ & IACOJ EMS Bureau
    New England FOOL
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    As always these are strictly my own opinions and views

I have two shammrocks and a picture of my grnadmother who passed away in recently.
    Rob aka Squinty

The Fighting Seventy-Third

Westville Fire Department
    Gloucester County
    New Jersey

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by engine23ccvfd
    ...Personally I take a moment to think of my wife's smile....I guess thats kinda lame but I was so saddened by the families from 9-11 it made me realize how important coming home truly is.
    Absolutely nothing lame about that! I also try to keep my wife in my mind, she's why I get up every morning and come home every night, and she's the one who gets left behind if I go and screw up.

Fortunately most everything I've been involved in has been fairly "routine", but you never know when the stuff can hit the fan.
    Stay Safe

It was not on my binkers, but my crew used to have a stuffed Kermit the Frog wearing a fire helmet. They used to keep it sitting on the front bumper of the pumper for luck. I swear everytime it was there we had a raging fire. It was all fun and games though.
    IACOJ Military Division
    NM Office
    ------------------------------------
    "There are three kinds of men: The ones who learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest of them who have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."

Forum Member

Like quite a few of the Brothers and Sisters I work with I have a laminated picture inside my helmet. I have a nice picture of my wife and I on our wedding day in there to remind me of what is important. I will be taking that one out around the last week of July- first week of August to put a new one in as soon as my first child,Eric is born. And if the wife asks nicely I will even let her put the cat in the picture! :P

It may sounds morbid, but if something was to happen to me I would like to be found with my lid over my face so that the last thing I see would be my beautiful family.

Be Safe out there!
    Proud to be an American, Union Firefighter!

MembersZone Subscriber

I have a nice little "rescue 8 w/ears" bottle opener on my gear.

Before everyone gets upset, I do not EVER condone drinking on duty, career or vollunteer. Its just something that I have to make me smile and to remind me to enjoy a beverage when I get home.

Scott

Forum Member

Along with Airborne and some of the others, I belive that luck results when training meets opportunity.
    But after 27 years in Law Enforcement (imagine, I retired to become a volle FF!), I never leave the sight or sound of my wife without saying "I Love You". And I don't care who hears it, because each time may be the last time.

I have a little red bendy guy in my rubber band and a picture of my girl friend, my best friend, and myself having a great time at the devils flyers game. Just to remind me whats important. And I would also like to say LETS GO DEVILS (for a little luck for them).

BE SAFE
    HAVE FUN
    HAVE A LITTLE LUCK
    What are the irons? Is that a Hillside thing?

Temporarily/No Longer Active

But after 27 years in Law Enforcement (imagine, I retired to become a volle FF!)
    You didnt retire you,just got a better job!

Forum Member

As satisfying as it is to cut people out of wrecks or save their homes, that is dealing with people one-on-one. In my prior career I stopped tons (yes, tons) of drugs from entering the country, along with unsafe autos and all kinds of other things. I also kept weapons (and even some parts for WMD) from going to the wrong folks. That was helping THE PEOPLE as in "We, THE PEOPLE..." a different kind of satisfaction. {I was not a local cop.}
    Better job? No, but a different one.

MembersZone Subscriber

Like some other folks... Just a picture of my wife and daughters under the liner, not necessarily for "luck" but just so they're with me when I really need'em.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Not so much for luck but...

In my helmet I have a picture of my 2 kids, to remind me to be careful because they need me.

In my pants pocket I have a St. Florian coin, given to me by my wife.

On my helmet I have a shamrock sticker, to show my pride in my heritage.

I also am one of those who try to make my own luck through constant training and remaining calm.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

Default "Good" versus "Bad" luck

The majority seem to go with lucky talisman/charms etc. It is considered extremely unlucky to walk under a ladder--if this was the norm in the Fire Service , the results would be hilarious! Can you imagine the scenario on a busy Fireground--walk under a ladder--quick where's my lucky charm to undo the bad luck I have now incurred? Give it a rest--if you need a photo of the wife and kids'- majic--just shows you that you can't remember what they looked like 3hrs ago. My lucky charm? It had two legs -and about 15 to 20 years in the job-never got fazed -and would impart the "Knowledge" that he had willingly, just as long as you asked without appearing to know it all yourself. P.S The under the ladder stuff? Victims in the old days were made to ascend a ladder--the executioner would turn the ladder-the victim was then "underneath " the ladder--very "unlucky"! Another good luck saying? Goodbye---God Be With Ye
    "If you thought it was hard getting into the job--wait until you have to hang the "fire gear"up and walk away!"
    Harry Lauder 1981.Me on the left!

Thread Information