Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Apparatus put to pasture

Just wondering how some of the districts out there get rid of their old units. Some of the specialty sites are arguably overpriced and I haven't seen many other venues other than the manufacturers themselves, possibly even more overpriced. A good example would be the city of Denver, or Orange County. Where do their second (or third)line trucks go and how long do you run em'? I've been researching Class A Pumper values in doing some preliminary planning. We really have no need for a new rig but would like to find something that doesn't belong in a museum when the time comes. Thanks in advance.

I've seen us sell four pieces of apparatus over the years.

We kinda have a good feel for what still has "life" in it and what doesn't.

The '47 Seagraves ladder got sold to a collector.
    The '73 Engine-Tank was rusting faster than a piece of iron in salt water...that got advertised locally & sent to be a farm truck.
    The '76 home-built Rescue similiarly just went locally to be a service truck for a gravel bank. Rust and it just weighed a lot for it's capacity.
    The '69 Engine though we stuck with it for a couple years to find a home for it with a small fire company in New York state -- it still was in great shape and had many years of service left to it even if it didn't meet our needs anymore. Sold it for about $9,000 for the truck and all the surplus equipment we didn't need anymore we could pile on the flatbed that came to pick it up

MembersZone Subscriber

Good luck. Just spent 6 months looking for a pumper to replace our 1970 POS. There is no apparently logic in ANY manner to used fire truck pricing.

Variables: How much in love with the truck is someone on the selling dept (can't give it away/heck I'd give more than that factor). How soon the replacement truck is going to arrive. Color of the paint. If significant grant $ in hand for replacement no one cares what happens to the old truck. If major dealer has listed add 20% (minimum of $10000) to whatever the price otherwise would be.

Diesel more expensive (even though no particular benefit to small dept). Automatic more expensive (cost more to maintain). There are lots of inexpensive used ladder trucks available, even if they have a big pump and low miles. My favored out of the box concept was to buy early '80s vintage ladder with 7500 miles, 1500+ gpm pump, remove the ladder install a BIG tank and hosebed.

Forum Member

NEIOWA you pretty much hit the nail on the head with what I've found. I was hoping to find one for NFPA 1901 (1991 Edition) but prices start appreciating rapidly with 1990 and above.

Forum Member

In my dept, we have sold at auction and given away.

68"ALF went thru the local city auction and brought $2000. Would of brought more if sold properly.

82' FMC on tilt cab Ford, was given to, ok get it out of town it's yours, a neighboring fire training ground and is still in field after 9 yrs. Just sitting there that is. Electrical problems.

The one we kept, was used in our own training use and was recently given to a town in Mexico, i.e. left at border, good luck.

Rumor is the other one is heading that way also. Between the two, they can keep one running.

Forum Member

we have a department in our area that is selling raffle tickets' to one of there old Engines that they are replacing, They seem to be selling the ticket's pretty fast
    though I don't know how you can sell tickets to an old Fire Truck but you get some publicity for it and add a few other things in the raffle drawing as well and you can turn more for the truck then by just trading it in, and who ever wins well then the truck will be there problem.

just an Idea for you to ponder.

would make one heck of a mail box I suppose if you won it.

Forum Member

get a fire truck for $20 and donate it for a tax write off.
    depends on what it is and condition.
    A Mack, I'll keep it thank you.

Forum Member

If your looking for a used truck in excellent shape. I know of a small department in ND with a late 60's model truck with less than 12,000 miles on it, no rust and a good 750 gpm pump.

Forum Member

Wink

In Chesterfield County, Virginia we put apparatus up for bid. Coming soon will be several mid to late 80' Mack CF pumpers and an International 4900 Type I ambulance. Contact flippinr@chesterfield.gov for more information.

Forum Member

Thanks for the input guys. I'll keep this thread in mind but need to see what FEMA (fire grant) says first.

Thread Information