Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Load the trucks, It's Brush fire season

Well, it seems Brush fire season has started. W had a 1/4 acre fire 2 weeks ago, and another today, about a half acre. What have the rest of you guys delt with so far?

havent been able to make any yet but I know we've had a few small ones, nothing major but its stayed pretty wet around here. A week ago this past Monday we had a storm come through and drop about 4 inches of rain so we're still pretty wet around here but its drying up pretty fast though.
    LADIES LOVE ME.
    FLAMES FEAR ME.

"I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO THIS FLAG, IF THAT BOTHERS YOU WELL THATS TOO BAD!" AARON TIPPIN

If you wish to burn our flag please remember to wrap yourself in it first!!!

ALL SOUTHERNERS ARE EXEMPT FROM ANY AND ALL OF MY YANKEE COMMENTS ON ANY AND ALL FORUMS.

THE SOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN!!!

Forum Member

Brush fire season started in south central Alaska about a month ago. We had a windstorm with gusts going up to 100 MPH coupled with a lack of snow cover contribute to a bunch of brush and structure fires (in some cases one led to another) last month. Kept everyone hopping for about a week or so (BTW, fighting brush fires with sub-zero windchills really sucks). Forestry has already moved the official start of the season up 2 weeks and we're prepared for the worst this summer due to low snowfall amounts this winter.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Had one today......

Here in downtown Maryland, we've had a wet winter, and we still can't go 5 days without rain, so things aren't too bad yet. We had one today that will probably hit the FH homepage "Hotshots" column tomorrow. 20 acres of mostly Marsh Grass, pushed by an East wind at about 20-25 Knots, a real unusual thing for this area. After a long afternoon, we (5 Engines, 5 brush trucks, several Chiefs,) got a grip on it. No injuries, No Damage. And that's the way we like it. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Right now no need to declare the start of fire season out here Good news we are no above the rain total of last year for So Cal
    Getting some more rain as I speak

My service may hold the record for calls so far. 18 stations have attended 147 brush/grass/moorland fires since 1st March and its not ended yet. We have experienced a very dry spring with moderate winds every day, so fires gain a lot of ground before we get there.

Biggest job so far was a 24 hour, 9 pump extravaganza which burned a front about 5 miles wide for most of its life.

We are praying for rain, cos we are getting a litle tired of chopping and digging
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Found It........

Ours mentioned above is at FH Homepage, "Local News", Maryland, "Prince Georges County Brush Fire...." But we have a break now, light rain started early this AM. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

We call it sport burning. We've had a few, and one gentleman burned down his trailor house doing it. We live with wildland fire sometimes for 9 months of the year and people are pretty used to smoke and fire in the spring. They just don't use a lot of common sense when starting the fire. Mr. and Mrs. Stupid keep us sharp.
    O'Cionaoit: teine geinim

Thread Information