Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Question Notifications of passing the first round?

Does anyone know if/when they will let departments know if they've made past the first round and on towards the peer review that is supposed to start next week?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Not usually. Going by last year's procedures, you will get one of two messages. The first, the bad one, is the Dear John letter. This will only come quick if there were major flaws in your application such as math errors, or the project is outside of the scope. Maybe if the computer scoring is low enough, you may get one of those as well but with the amount of money available I don't know if they'd be able to rule out anyone right away. Not until a few rounds have passed to get a better idea of how far the money can be stretched. The other notification is the famous 5 questions that caused so much discussion last year. As far as anyone has seen, no one that has gotten these questions was turned down. The only exception was when it was finally proven that someone couldn't make the matching funds, and it was moved on to the next candidate. If you get the questions, it's a good sign, and as far as I'm concerned, you're up next to get the money. According to FEMA, the red tape answer is "No guarantees" but history has proved otherwise.

If you do get the 5 questions, there has been no direct correlation to the period of time until you get the official award notification. It's varied from a week to 7 weeks.

Good luck to all who applied.

Brian
    Brian P. Vickers
    www.vickersconsultingservices.com
    Emergency Services Consulting
    Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
    Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

MembersZone Subscriber

I just wonder if we will all have to deal with the notorious "eXt" theory again this year?

It was one of the main topics here last year.

MembersZone Subscriber

What are the five questions? This is the first year I have submitted and if you guys know "the questions" can you share them with me? Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

"This email message is not a notification of award, it is only a preliminary discussion of your application. A panel of your peers favorably reviewed your application and I have a few matters to discuss/verify with you prior to further processing of your application:

1. If you are selected for an award, would you accept?

2. If you are selected for a grant award, can your department meet the required cost-share?

3. If you are selected for an award, do you understand that the funds can only cover expenses for one year and that you have to spend the funding within one year of your grant award date?

4. If you are selected, do you understand that you will be required to report to NFIRS for at least the period of the grant?

5. Do you have any changes to your point of contacts, phone numbers, email addresses, or banking information listed in your application?

Again, this email message is not a notification of award, it is only a discussion of your application. Once [the USFA Grants representative] complete [his/her] review, and receive your favorable reply to this message, [the USFA Grants representative] will forward your application on to the next phase.

If your department is selected you will be notified by e-mail through our on-line grants system. You will also be directed to a web-site to print the award forms and other pertinent information."

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

Thanks Todd!!

Thread Information