Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Pickup Truck Bed with a Door

This concept vehicle, the Cheyenne pick-up, has an unusual feature. Along the side of the bed of the pickup, just behind the cab, there is a hinged door in the side of the bed. You can see the seams where the door is.

The sales pitch is that this new door will hinge open and allow access to those items in the bed of the pickup that are near the cab. Supposedly, even a set of steps will come out and down. (Kinda like the Pierce Quantum fire apparatus does with its front door steps)

Not a rescue problem but an interesting concept to think about.

Will this be classified as a "5-door" pickup truck?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by rmoore; 04-17-2003 at 10:57 PM.
    Ron Moore, Forum Moderator
    www.universityofextrication.com

Next thing they'll do is put an airbag in that, but not for practical purposes...only to mess with us!
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Another thing to charge you for $1000.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Question INTEGRITY PROBLEMS???

Pfire was crawling around in my head when we read this post together. We both had the same thought:

It may not directly be a rescue problem per se, but taking the example of a high speed rear end impact, and we noted that this is a crew cab. During the impact, could the box fold "easier" with the door than a normal box?

And Adze, we both had a good laugh at the airbag idea!!! It would suprise us much if they did... just because "they can".
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

May have to get one those with the steps so my fat ***** dog can get in the truck.....
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Back to touch on the rear impact crash, if the door is only on one side of the box, then that side will be weakened. The other side will be stronger, as there are no seams or splits in the "metal". The door side will cruch up more than the side without the door, I think. Another thing to look at is the back window. The glass appears to wrap around the cab, just another thing to watch out for!
    D. Hager
    Paramedic

Default Re: INTEGRITY PROBLEMS???

Originally posted by MalahatTwo7
    During the impact, could the box fold "easier" with the door than a normal box?
    In theory, it could also prove stronger than the other side (without the door).

With a door being there, they are going to have to have hard points for the hinges and latches to connect to, and that side would probably has some additional re-enforcements so the door won't "pop" open on a bumpy road (not that a truck like that would ever seen anything but pavement).

Anyone have a few $$$ they don't know what to do with??? We could also go get one and cut it up to have a look.
    Last edited by firefighter26; 04-25-2003 at 02:01 AM.
    "No one ever called the Fire Department for doing something smart..."

Thanks for the post Ron.

Next thing we might see to that is a progression. Like a Doggy door into the cab from the bed, or doors that swing out in to the bed with seat attached for the unruly kids or spouses.

On a more serious note it would be interesing to see what would happen to the drivers side with an impact (rear or side especially).

Be safe.

JW
    "Making Sense with Common Sense"
    Motor Vehicle Rescue Consultants
    ( MVRC@comcast.net) Jordan Sr.

if the door is only on one side of the box, then that side will be weakened. The other side will be stronger, as there are no seams or splits in the "metal".
    Definitely don't agree with that one. As FF26 said, it would probably be stronger.

I say this based on the technology of crumple zones, etc. Due to the fact that it has a door would mean that it would be engineered stronger to withstand the rear (and possibley the side) impact...
    Luke

Lutan and firefighter26- I was thinking the same thing as you........ I think it actually is going to be stronger on that side of the truck......

Something to think about. This is not a passenger compartment ( yea right someone will add a cap & carry the kids back there. ) , will the maker add extra support to this area like a passenger compartment door ? Will it be beefed up for a crumple zone?
    I do agree with what I read but wonder these ???'s.
    I also wonder about that rear window in a rear or side crash.
    Have to see what happens when Ron get's 1 to cut.

Jim

Snowman, crumple zones work in conjunction with the whole car. The rear needs to be beefed up, as does the front for a crumple zone to work properly becasue all the energy in an impact is transferred to the cab. (Does that make sense?!)

If the rear or front was to fail, then all the energy and impact force would be absorbed into the cab, but with a properly constructed vehicle, this force will be absorbed before it gets there....
    Luke

Lutan 1 is it beefed up ? By the pics it is hard to tell if the box is contected to the cab or not. Most are not.
    Yes I do understand crumple zones. Most pickup truck boxes are not designed for crumple zone. Are they going to add this extra & how much.
    Makes you wonder.

Key question is why is it there?So you can reach your stuff in the front of the box?Or has GM been watching too many episodes of Monster Garage?T.C.

Originally posted by thesnowman
    Most pickup truck boxes are not designed for crumple zone. Are they going to add this extra & how much.
    Makes you wonder.
    With the increasing popularity of pick-ups and SUVs, I am sure that "crumple zone" engineering is being implemented in them to some degree. I would suspect that they truck bed is engineered to be about equal in integrity so that its design does not adversely affect a rear end collision. The auto manufacture would want to avoid any potential liability if someone were seriously injured or killed because one side was stronger than the other and ended up concentrating the force of an impact on a passenger of one of the involved vehicles.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Originally posted by Rescue101
    Key question is why is it there?So you can reach your stuff in the front of the box?Or has GM been watching too many episodes of Monster Garage?T.C.
    Maybe Chevy will start produceing the Suburbans that double as dumpster trucks.
    No longer an explorer, but I didn't wanna lose my posts.

IACOJ 2003

Thread Information