MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default NFPA ON SCBA - SPECIFCALLY WHEN IS A BA OR MASK "RETIRED"

I have no doubt that this question or one like it has been posed within the forums many times, but here I am and here it is....

My question is: Is there a NFPA article with regards to when a SCBA harness or mask/harness is deemed as "unservicable" and therefore "retired"? Also, I guess, would be who can make that determination/certification?

I realize that there will be differences between provinces, states and countries, but all opinions are welcome.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

In BC we are actually subject to CSA standards, for SCBA, unless you can get someone at WCB to agree on an NFPA standard. The OHS regs, give a specific CSA standards, but also say "or other standard acceptable to the board". There are several NFPA standards that are recognised so they might accept it. I'm sure I have a copy of the appropriate CSA standard. I'll see what I can dig up for you.

Forum Member

A copy of NFPA 1404 "Standard for a Fire Department Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus Program" along with another copy of "The Malahat Volunteer Fire Department Respirator Protection Program" have been placed in your In Box at the Fire Hall.

I have gone through and highlighted anything I could find pertaining to Maintenance, Repairs, Harnesses, Face Pieces, and Straps in both documents.

To summarize, the NFPA leaves it up to the manufacturer’s recommendation/guidelines.

Our MSA Sales Rep, who was also an MSA Repair Tech, was in our hall less than 2 months ago. An SCBA Face Piece with "stretched" straps was brought to his attention. In his opinion, as long as an effective seal could be achieved and maintained, the strap unit could remain in service. He did say, that if it was a problem, replacement units could be ordered. (on a side note, he commented that both our MMR and BMR units are in excellent condition!)

On Thursday, April 17th, 2003, the above mentioned Face Piece was brought to my attention by another member of the department, at which point I donned it and proceeded to achieve a proper seal (using the negative pressure seal test as outlined in our Respirator Protection Program). Thus, in my opinion as the Department’s SCBA Officer was deemed as "serviceable" and placed back into service.

As of yesterday (Friday April 18th, 2003) replacement units have been ordered and are being delivered, and put into service (to put this issue at rest).

If you would like any further information, or if you have any additional concerns, please contact me directly, and I will do my best to supply you with any and all information that I have.

Jason Wilson
    Firefighter – SCBA Officer – Equipment Officer
    Malahat Volunteer Fire Department
    "No one ever called the Fire Department for doing something smart..."

Rick The CSA standard Z94.4-02, It also makes reference to NFPA 1981, and one specific instance in 1500. I'll send my copy over to you.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Thanks Tempie... I was also pointed in the direction of NFPA 1981, 1852 as well as a "copy" of the MMR MSA manufacturer's guide. Sorry but my sources must remain confidential.

Between the three sources, I have been given much to read and absorb, should be fun - "Ya right" she says.

Thanks also to those others of you who emailed me with additional sources of insight and information.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

I'm certified overhaul level on Scott SCBA's, so I don't know about any others. We rewrote/updated our SCBA SOP just about a year ago. I had to go through several NFPA standards as well as manufacturer and other information. From what I saw, NFPA and OSHA only saw to follow Manufacturers recomendations. Basically, if it passes the manufacturers recomended tests, it's good to go. There are a lot of "gray" areas and references to SCBA tech's jugement, but not really anything more specific than that.

Hope that helps
    Check out my blog: The Fixit Shop

Thread Information