Question How do you get started in a life long career in fire fighting?

Im doing a school research project and i chose to pursue a career in fire fighting so I was needing some insight in the field of fire fighting and how to get started. Im part of my local fire department and am very interested. Ive lived around it "ALL" my life and could stand and would like to be a fire fighter for a career.

Barnburner
    Last edited by barnburner; 04-23-2003 at 11:51 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would have to say the TV show EMERGENCY!

To tell you the truth, I don't know, I have always wanted to be a fireman. When I was old enough to volunteer I did. I loved it and have been doing it ever since.

Forum Member

Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

I was raised religiously watching Emergency, and later on The Dukes of Hazard. With my direction encouraged by the first, and my principles warped by the latter, it's amazing i'm still here.

And FYI, Third Watch just doesn't cut it.

MembersZone Subscriber

I've only seen a couple episodes of Emergency! and can never find it on TV land. I watch Third Watch religiously.

The best way to start a FF career is to take an EMT class. Without an EMT, good luck finding a job.

Eric

Forum Member

...it's amazing i'm still here.
    No doubt; I can just picture your average fire engine, launching over some of those creeks and construction sites. Now, on the other hand, if some of your "guys" looked like Daisy, then maybe you're doing OK, after all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by ThNozzleman

Now, on the other hand, if some of your "guys" looked like Daisy, then maybe you're doing OK, after all.
    Nope, all Cooters and Uncle Jesse's around here.

I started because I was tired of being laid off every year or so. I went and applied, took the entrance exam, and was appointed all in the same year. It was the smartest thing I ever did, because as it turned out, it was a job I've loved for the last 38 years.

Forum Member

Default barnburner

I went into this line of work mainly because the two generations before me and my uncle did.

I saw the excitement of it all and was totally taken away. All I saw was the lights and sirens of it.

I started volunteering in a limited capacity when I was 16. Hired by local FD/EMS when I was 18. Attended EMT school senior year in HS and took boards day after I graduated HS. Worked there for 4 years and hired with the department I am with here (where my dad and uncle work).

I have worked here for 7 years and busted my rump taking every class I could. Attended PMDC school 9 years ago and it has helped. Was promoted to the rank of fire engineer last night.

I still love this job but it is not all the excitement and fun I saw it as 15 years ago. I have seen more pain, suffering, death and heartache since I was 16 than I ever thought I would see. Everytime I think I have seen or done it all, something else happens.

We buried one of our own that was a LODD last Friday. Every day it gets a little harder on your body and your mind. You bring things home that you shouldnt and sometimes take it out on your loved ones.

It is a hard job...not just physically. If you do it...it is a very rewarding job, in terms of actions...not money wise.

Good luck...give it some HARD thinking.

Forum Member

Thumbs up RE: Career

Hey Barnburnner,
    You sound just like me a few years ago. I graduated from highschool and applied for an 18month fire suppression program in college. I graduated with a AAS in Fire Science, NFPA FF II, Pumper operator, Instructor, and an EMT-I. I got hired full time a couple of months later. Job interviewers want to see som education, experiance, and ecspecially interest, in the Fire Service. Nearly everyone that I graduated with is a career firefighter now; from FDNY, Portland Fire, Seattle Fire, you name it. So go to school, learn how to do it right, then start applying. You will get hired.
    Good Luck,
    DonnellyFire

Forum Member

The TV show Emergency had a big input on me and plus my parents instilled in me the desire to help someone when they were in need!

Permanently Removed

Default Guys...read the question again...

Originally posted by barnburner
    Im doing a school research project and i chose to pursue a career in fire fighting so I was needing some insight in the field of fire fighting and how to get started. Ive lived around it "ALL" my life and could stand and would like to be a fire fighter for a career.
    Barnburner
    Ok Barnburner, I think you are looking for some career
    advice and not re-caps of The Dukes of Hazard. Here are
    some links on getting started in the first service. I hope
    they help out. Sounds like you're on the right track.

In my opinion, and some in here dont agree with me, I
    feel a Firefighter is stronger with an education.
    You can not lose with a college background...Bou

Here are your links-

http://www.firecareers.com/subscribe...refighter.html

http://www.eatstress.com/faq.htm
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 04-25-2003 at 07:53 PM.

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

Originally posted by mcaldwell
    I was raised religiously watching Emergency, and later on The Dukes of Hazard. With my direction encouraged by the first, and my principles warped by the latter, it's amazing i'm still here.

And FYI, Third Watch just doesn't cut it.
    Do the doors on the engine open up or do ya slide in?

How do you slide across the hood of some of those flat face engines also?
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Forum Member

Default Re: How do you get started in a life long career in fire fighting?

Originally posted by barnburner
    Im doing a school research project and i chose to pursue a career in fire fighting so I was needing some insight in the field of fire fighting and how to get started. Im part of my local fire department and am very interested. Ive lived around it "ALL" my life and could stand and would like to be a fire fighter for a career.

Barnburner

Barnburner, I'm presuming you mean as a career firefighter. It depends on where you are, in some areas it would be good to try and get some experience with a volunteer dept. In other places there are firefighting schools that are prerequisites to joining. In other places its all in the entrance exam and physical. Its not quite as easy in most places to get into the job as it used to be.

My father and all his brothers are all firefighters and my wife's grandfather is a fire chief. I originally joined the good old US Coast Guard to get away from the fire service and do something different, but still related to emergency services. Somehow I ended up migrating back to fire protection (had a lot to do with flight physicals, vision, and waiting for an "A" School!). To make a long story short, I ended up being one of the few active duty Coast Guard firefighters. I then transitioned from that position into a US Civil Service fire job. I never really intended to become a firefighter when I joined the USCG, it just sort of happened. Now it is my profession and I will probably milk it out until I physically can't do the job or hit the mandatory retirement age. I tried the municipal fire marshal thing for a while, but the politics were even flakier than they are when working for the Feds. Not much fun! I may try it again after I retire from here.
    IACOJ Military Division
    NM Office
    ------------------------------------
    "There are three kinds of men: The ones who learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest of them who have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by RyanEMVFD

Do the doors on the engine open up or do ya slide in?

How do you slide across the hood of some of those flat face engines also?
    Our engine has an old international cab so we do have a hood to slide across, but the front mounted pump could make it quite painfull if you fell short.

Permanently Removed

Default Hoe come...

You guys like an old 70s TV show out of California,
    but once in awhile bag on our state?
    (helmets, etc...)

Just curious...

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm guessing there are so many Emergency! fans because there aren't a lot of choices for primetime dramas about firefighters. Even today, there really isn't any. Third watch is a cop's show, then a medic's show, then a FF show. I love Third Watch, but if it was just about medics and FFs, that would be just fine be me.

Eric

Thread Information