View Poll Results: Total Dollars requested on grant *you* submitted for 2003 USFA Fire Grant

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • less than $40,000

18 18.18%
  • $40,000 to $69,999

20 20.20%
  • $70,000 to $99,999

19 19.19%
  • $100,000 to $150,000

13 13.13%
  • more than $150,000

29 29.29%

Default 2003 USFA - Dollar Request Poll

How hungry were you?
    ...SVFD162

MembersZone Subscriber

We ask for only $8,800 for turnouts and radios. Hard to come up with more then that forthe 10% ($880) when annual budget it just $3,800. I know it wouldn't help bigger depts much, but I kinda wish just one year the would just divide of the 750 million up by the number of eligible depts. It would be approx. $34,800 this year. Thats equal to 10yrs money for us. But in all honesty I think the way they are doing it now if pretty fair.

MembersZone Subscriber

$20k - Firefighter I training program (becoming state req)
    $20k - 20 Sets turnout gear
    $70k - New SCBA (interoperability with surrounding districts)
    $12k - Cascade Trailer (never had a cascade)
    $12k - TIC (Never had one)

Forum Member

We applied for EMS equipment. We recieved new PPE last year. The majority of our calls this past year is medical. It seems this is the trend to follow. Also with EMS equipment we will have BLS equipment available in case one of our Firefighters gets hurt.

Default Interesting Poll to Date!

I hope we continue to get votes. Notice the drop at $100K to $150K. Maybe that is an indicator that when a department "goes" for it, it goes all the way.
    ...SVFD162

FH Mag/.com Contributor

My advice has always been to go for it all. You're going to be awarded on the merits of the project, not its price tag. As long as the application complied with the rules, and was scored high enough in peer review to make the cut, the dollar amount did not matter. I believe that was one of the points that the peer reviewer made in the article in December's Fire Engineering. Don't go for something that is going to break the bank and potentially compromise the department's financial future, but don't hold back for fear of thinking you're asking for too much. If you need it, you need it.

Forum Member

Wink

We applied for a 2004 Freightliner M2 Pumper

Total Cost: 197K and some change

MembersZone Subscriber

I submitted a request for $255K. We are in rough shape and have some major interoperability issues with all of our neighbors. New SCBA, new turnouts, hazmat stuff, lots of hose and even more fittings and adapters. Went with the theory of if you dont ask for it, you aint gonna get it. I cut my hair in true airborne fashion so I couln't pull it out!

TICK TICK TICK TICK....

Stay Safe All!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Went for it

We really went for it, asked for just over $670,000 for Mobile radio's and hearing protection for apparatus, (about 1/4 of the grant money) and the rest went for a communications interoperability package. The project is in motion and has been since 2001. we have been chipping away at the phases and the grant will complete a couple of the phases in one shot. If we don't get it, the matching money goes back into my budget to continue as planned.

take care,
    Nathan

Forum Member

We applied for $330,000 for turnouts and SCBA. We used interoperability issues and ff safety as the main theme of our request.
    Good luck to everyone who applied!

Forum Member

Our department applied for new radio's all around, brush fire gear and PASS devices. Total came to about 88,000. Good luck to everyone.

Forum Member

My department applied for just over $73,000 for Turnout gear, hose, scene lighting, and radios for interoperability. In previous years we had applied for a new pumper. But after getting shot down twice, we did a needs assessment and decided to apply for much needed equipment. We still need a new pumper, but are going to purchase that another way.

Forum Member

We also stressed safety and interoperability with new turnout gear and SCBA's with integrated pass along with LDH (don't have any), communications equipment (using a patch up radio for a base, only have a couple of good working portables, new MABAS program), and training programs that can be shared with neighboring departments. Total amount was just under $150,000.
    SFPD Member MABAS Division 47
    Told my wife I'm at work. Told my boss I'm sick. I'm really at the fire station.
    I.A.C.O.J.

Forum Member

Cool Money Money MONEY!!!

Well our Fire Dept. put in for about 90k. Thats going to be for hoses, nosels, some new turn out gear, Extrication gear, Deluce gun, Cascade system, Maybe another set of Jaws, and their were some other things. I kinda hope we get this grant. Some of the turn out gear we got now is pretty old stuff. Also some new radios, and SCBA's. We put in for last years grant and the state fire marshell tells us we didn't gettin because our fire dept wasn't even known (aint that some sh**). Thats when the old chef was in their he really screwed things up. Now that we got this new chief things have been a whole lot better. Now that we got our name out thier i kinda hope we get this grant. I heard their was like only 7,000 applications that got through. To all the fire dept. that put in for a grant I hope you get your money.....

Eric, Newton-Baker Fire & Rescue

Forum Member

My department put in for aprox 90k. We were planning on splitting different projects up and apply over the next 2-3 years for funding, however, we had a feeling that the money thats available now would be taken next year for homeland defense. Not being sure if the funding is going to be there next year, we went ahead and applied for new turnout gear,scba and radios. If we get it great if not we'll look for other funding alternatives. GOOD LUCK to all and STAY SAFE.

Forum Member

Cool Hey ffmedic11

Thats basically what we did. When our department found out we didn't get the grant we were bumed. But we couldn't stand around and mope all the time or nothing would get done. So we went on and looked to other grants. Their are thousands of grants out their that alot of departments still don't know about. We recivied 5k back in decemeber for turn out gear. A little over half our department has got new gear but their are still a few that need to be fitted. Really if you don't get the grant you just got to go on and keep on finding grants and try and put in for the big one next year. Oh and does fema usually have a grant every year?

Thread Information