Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Full time or Volunteer

do you want to be a full time firefighter or do you just want to be a volunteer firefigheter.

I still havent decided on what i want to do you know us kids were continusly changing our minds like back in kindergarden everyone wanted to be an astronaut. lol
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

Forum Member

Volunteer

My paid job I hope to be is a Dispatcher or EMS

One of the 2 but for Fire Department definately Volunteer

Forum Member

I always wanted to be a paid firefighter. Now I am kinda sorta both paid and volunteer. I am paid at the power plant I work at and I am a volunteer with my City I live in.
    20 years ago in Middle GA there was not a lot of opportunities for a paid firefighter but plenty of opportunities for volunteer departments. I kept on volunteering. I went to work at the power plant. I had to do something to support a family! Any way about 7-8 years ago the plant decided it was going to try something new. Instead of making every one "volunteer" for the Fire Brigade, They asked for volunteers. They asked me to head this up because of my experience with my volunteer dept. This really made me feel proud because of a lot of co-workers had always give me a hard time about answereing calls at night, holidays. My co-workers said I got this job because of my experience and dedication.
    Anyway I know this is a long story, but what I want to tell you do not overlook a local industry. They may have a Industrial Fire Brigade, Confine Space Rescue Team, First Responder program, and Haz Mat Team. These could be just as good as a paid dept.

Forum Member

Why not do both, I do. I am a career firefighter for a very large city dept and a volunteer for my small rural dept near where I live.

Volunteer. I plan on going into law enforcement and I would also like to do Dispatching part time. As pumper41 said...do both...there are several memebers on my department who are also on career departments.
    These opinions are my own, not of my company or my affiliates

2 in, 2 Out, Pass on, Collar up, SHOW TIME!

Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

Well, I want to be paid, Union, the whole 9 yards.

Maybe volunteer on the side, haven't really decided on that one yet.
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

Talking

i want to do both

Temporarily/No Longer Active EoneTiller's Avatar

i want to be a paid firefighter

Forum Member

Do both! I started out as a volunteer.
    I work for a medium-sized career department in a metro area. I live 100 miles north and volunteer in the same small department that I started in. The same department my father, grandfather and younger brother (soon to be two!) volunteer in.

*Mark
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

Default Time to crank it up....

-Making an interior attack on a working structure...Nice.

-Riding the fire truck around town and
    responding to calls...Sweet.

-Busting intersections with lights and sirens
    cranking while I gear up...The best.

-Being a PAID PROFESSIONAL, benefits and being a
    member of the IAFF...PRICELESS!
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 10-05-2003 at 02:39 PM.

PAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    No longer an explorer, but I didn't wanna lose my posts.

IACOJ 2003

Default Some help...

When you're ready to get serious about
    going full-time, look at this site-

www.eatstress.com

I dont know yet. I might stay volly and go with a diff. field, like a Fire Marshall/Fire Code Enforcement Officer or Fire Investigator.

I would like to stick to this field of expertise. But if not, psychology here I come.
    IACOJ

Default a funny story about this topic

This is actually a great question. I actually had this very discussion with a guy in my department. he's 25, and been in the department for 7 years. I'm new to the department, but have been on another department for almost 5 years. his goal in life is to be hired as a paid firefighter. I am very content being a volunteer. and when i told him that, he was like, "huh????"

i bring up this little story not to be nostalgic, but to illustrate a point. not every volunteer firefighter has dreams of being hired by a career department, nor are all volunteers career firefighter wannabes. I, for one, plan on getting my 4 year degree in Information Management, getting a good job (probably with little or nothing to do with emergency services), and volunteering on the side. I also got FF1, EMT, PHTLS, among other certs, which is comperable to what some paid firefighters need to have. does that make me any less of a firefighter, because i just want to be a volunteer? not in my mind.

bottom line is, do what makes you happy. if you want to be a full time firefighter, then go for it. if you want to have a real job, where you have to wear a suit and tie, and volunteer on the side, then go for it. if you want to do LE or dispatching or EMS, and volunteer for your fire department in your spare time, then go for it.

just because volunteers don't recieve a paycheck, doesn't mean they can't be and aren't professional
    Last edited by DrParasite; 09-16-2003 at 12:08 AM.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

expvol
    Firehouse.com Guest

Im going to be a full time and a volunteer on my days off

Forum Member

Default Full time or Volly?

Either way you will probably have to pass an oral board. You can get the inside on oral boards right here on firehouse.com by checking out: http://cms.firehouse.com/content/con.../bio.jsp?id=18

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"
    Author of the new book Becoming A Firefighter--The Complete Guide to Your Badge!

www.eatstress.com

888-238-3959

Im going for Professional sorry if this isnt what you were asking for but I figures I would throw in my 1/2 cent.
    Cadet Fire & Rescue Deputy Chief 31
    Monessen Volunteer Fire Department #1
    Westmoreland County Station 81-1

"Going far beyond the call of duty, doing more than others expect, this is what excellence is all about. And it comes from striving, maintaining the highest standards, looking after the smallest detail, and going the extra mile. Excellence means doing your best every day, in everything."

well here are some facts roughly 75% of Fire Departments in this country are Full Volunteer or Pay Per Call. If you want a job the requirements are usually the same paid or volly. Just rember one thing paid or volly same thing we are all brothers and sisters in this great profession of firefighting. What ever you do remember that because some day it could be your life on the line and a volly and a paid firefighter will have your back no matter what you are, I see no diffrence between both we both get the same training same respect and it's the same ememy we fight. We can have the same problem in Maine as they could have in NY, fire and violence towards firefighters dosen't distinguish between paid or volly. We are all professionals. I have been doing this as a JR from 16 i am now 26 ten good full years seen all kinds of firefighters in my life soem thing paid are beter because of union reps well yes i admit we have no union but we do the same job just as well. There is a great book i read recently called The Fire Inside. read it it is a very good book abotu both volly and paid.
    Lt. Chris
    Last edited by Robertsc; 09-01-2003 at 10:21 PM.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear" - Ambrose Redmoon
    ďItís like Legoís for firefighters.Ē Robert James III talking about hose appliances.
    "Police, Firefighters and EMS are the most collectively dysfunctional group of people in existence and only we understand each other!"

im a full-time volunteer!

Full time would be niiiice
    I havent failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work.

- Thomas Edison

Thread Information