Default Turnouts the same?

This may be a very stupid question...

Are the turnout/bunker gear sets that EMS personnel are given the same that firefighters have?

Forum Member

Question

More is needed. Are you talking private ambo? FF/Paramedic? Are these EMTs expected to make structural entry? Turnouts for accidents? Departments vary. What dept. are you talking about? What type of EMS system?

MembersZone Subscriber

We issue our ems personel Globe gear that only offer flash protection. This way they have some protection for mvas. This is no where near the level of protection fire gear provides. The ems gear is ligher weight and about half the cost of fire gear.

I'm just trying to get a general idea. The turnouts would only really be worn for MVA's by EMS personnel. (EMT's, Medics, etc.) No department in particular. The stations around where I'm at are on the small side and each have their own way of doing things.

Forum Member

we have a combo dept in that we are all cross trained............there is no FIRE dept and EMS Dept......all do all ........ and are cross-trained for the same........... so we all have turn outs no matter what
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

In my area, we do the same thing as SFDchief, EMS gear only offers flash protection. It's usually blue in color so we can pick them out on the scenes a little faster. Also, they don't wear a "fire helmet" either, they usually wear the wildland type helmet with a faceshield and no back bill, which seems to help when they are inside a vehicle.
    ftm-ptb
    leather forever
    gateway fools

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Weruj1
    we have a combo dept in that we are all cross trained............there is no FIRE dept and EMS Dept......all do all ........ and are cross-trained for the same........... so we all have turn outs no matter what
    We too are a combo department as far as fire and ems is concerned and if someone wants to get cross trained that's fine providing they meet the stricter medical requirments for firefighting. Those that don't meet those requirments can only do ems. They can still respond to fires but are limited to operations of ems and rehab.

Our ems gear is also blue with a different helmet so theyr'e easier to identify asside from being more cost efficent and easier for those that don't need the full protection that regular bunkers offer.
    Last edited by SFDchief; 04-27-2003 at 01:05 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

What EMS wears for "bunker gear" varies widely. The two EMS only services I work part-time for have Fire-rated bunker gear (coat & pants) to use. Some others do the same. Their are a few using the new EMS style gear that is designed for EMS/Rescue work rather than structural firefighting. Some places only use coats/helmets.
    Mark
    Firefighter / Paramedic
    IAFF Local 10

Thread Information